combat diving

Ok good to define terms especially when operating in a multinational environment. We had a student dry-drown at the Basic Recon Course a few years ago. He was struggling at keeping his face above water during the 40 minute tread water portion of the reconnaissance screener and they finally pulled him out of the water. The corpsman [medic] checked him out but didn't notice any water in his lungs. He died later when he got back to his room.

Dry drowning on? Why would you need buoyancy? Helium maybe? The Suckumhard(Secumar) are worthless out of water

we talk of dry drowning as any incident in which the oxygen supply to lungs is cutoff ... When water or other foreign bodies are inhaled, laryngospasm occurs and the person's larynx spasms shut. As a result, the vacuum created by the diaphragm cannot be filled by the inrush of air into the lungs, and the vacuum persists. In an attempt to force air in through the spasmed larynx, the person may breathe deeper and with more effort, but this only increases the vacuum's force inside the chest. The obstruction to the inflow of oxygen causes hypoxia, and the obstruction to the outflow of carbon dioxide causes acidosis, both resulting in death .
I realize I'm late for the party, but just in case. One bro was totally right to say the diving physiology and related illnesses are not a puff. You are supposed to find out what exactly has happened before altering your training or equipment. Moreover, if it was an actual laryngospasm and the depth of the dive was about 10 meters... And you decide to go on emergency surfacing... You gonna DOUBLE the inner pressure of your buddy's lungs by reducing it twice from the outside. That may add a barotrauma which will not do good to your buddy. The water by itself is a glorious place that doesn't like swift movements. Most EMERGENCY actions will more often than always take you into a bigger trouble than that has already happened. Plan in advance. I can see many medics here that are supposed to be DMT-qualified, they will instruct you that the best treatment of all this stuff is prevention:) Dive safe and be well

Back