Connection between Personality Type and Branch/MOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six-Two

Unverified
Hey All,

A bit more theoretical post, but I'm re-reading "Get Selected" (specifically the part about SF team roles) and happened to also be sent this Myers-Brigg personality test by somebody in my current career field. It made me wonder if there's a correlation between personality types and what branch or role guys wind up in. Do those of you familiar with the types see a trend across branches and MOS? For example, ENFP's tend to be medics, or Bravos are ISFJ's.

Anyway, feel free to chime in if you've got any pointers or anecdotes.

Fair enough, but you don't think it's reasonable to assume that a very specific type of job attracts a specific type of person? I know that in every career field you'll find a lot of different kinds of people, but to say that SOF attracts just as many Mother Theresa types as any other would seem a little counter-intuitive.

All have the desire to serve their country. The people you meet on the inside of that realm will vary greatly. Outside of that, does it fucking matter?

Over time, your M-B personality type tends to change... The more diverse your background, the more divergent the results can be... a single very well-rounded individual can score differently on 2 days in a row... dependent on changing circumstances... not a huge change... actually one time I scored XXXX which means I was dead in the center of everything .... M-B is nice for shrinks to pigeon-hole things, but basically worthless in the real world.

Air Force = Smart ones
Marines = Dumb ones
Navy = Gay ones
Army = to dumb for the AF but to smart for the Marines and not Gay
I come up with 4 types
Hahaha... So good. Guess I'm bound for the Air Force or the Navy. :rolleyes:

Over time, your M-B personality type tends to change... The more diverse your background, the more divergent the results can be... a single very well-rounded individual can score differently on 2 days in a row... dependent on changing circumstances... not a huge change... actually one time I scored XXXX which means I was dead in the center of everything .... M-B is nice for shrinks to pigeon-hole things, but basically worthless in the real world.
Interesting you mention that - the result I got today was different from the one I took a couple years ago. Initially I was an ENFP if I recall correctly, today ENFJ. I'm generally inclined to agree with you, but I still wonder if there's a correlation between them.

I like to keep things super simple...he who not only embraces the suck, but learns to love it usually succeeds. It isn't based on anything like Meyers-Briggs, IMO.

I have had to take it three times in the last three years and ended up with two different results. I had a friend of mine end up with three different results. I answered them truly every time I took it. It depended on how I was thinking that day and how I was rationalizing my answers. I know of many people who have taken it and actually made themselves fit that "mold" in every aspect of their lives.

Personally, I felt that the results that I received at the time of test was somewhat "accurate" at "that time."

Again, I tend to like a good "grunt environment" when many others don't. It's a mindset.

I like to keep things super simple...he who not only embraces the suck, but learns to love it usually succeeds. It isn't based on anything like Meyers-Briggs, IMO.

I have had to take it three times in the last three years and ended up with two different results. I had a friend of mine end up with three different results. I answered them truly every time I took it. It depended on how I was thinking that day and how I was rationalizing my answers. I know of many people who have taken it and actually made themselves fit that "mold" in every aspect of their lives.

Personally, I felt that the results that I received at the time of test was somewhat "accurate" at "that time."

Again, I tend to like a good "grunt environment" when many others don't. It's a mindset.

Depends on what you mean by "the suck".

The term was derived IMO, from learning to deal with no sleep, being cold and wet, hungry, exhausted from physical exhaustion etc... in a field/war environment.
It has now morphed into, oh I fucked your pay up/ you're going to loose your MOS qual/ sorry dont have housing for you or your family/ I lost your re-enlistment paperwork, you're now a civilian/ etc... deal, which is totally unacceptable. "Embrace the suck" is now the battle cry of incompetent NCOs/Officers who either can't do their job, or don't give a fuck about their Soldiers that are getting fucked. Disgusting and unforgivable.
People who thrive in that environment are exactly the wrong people we want to be advancing/staying in the military.

Depends on what you mean by "the suck".

The term was derived IMO, from learning to deal with no sleep, being cold and wet, hungry, exhausted from physical exhaustion etc... in a field/war environment.
It has now morphed into, oh I fucked your pay up/ you're going to loose your MOS qual/ sorry dont have housing for you or your family/ I lost your re-enlistment paperwork, you're now a civilian/ etc... deal, which is totally unacceptable. "Embrace the suck" is now the battle cry of incompetent NCOs/Officers who either can't do their job, or don't give a fuck about their Soldiers that are getting fucked. Disgusting and unforgivable.
People who thrive in that environment are exactly the wrong people we want to be advancing/staying in the military.

I mean your former description and not the latter. I've had some of those "latter" types in both my units and teams and did my best to either square them away or get rid of them. Some changed for the better, some were moved into other billets, and some just remained my personal nightmare that had to be dealt with.

I'd say it isn't an M-B correlation but more of a type A vs type B personality type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back