Court martial set for Master Sgt. Joseph D. Newell

Well, thats the way the jury went http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/02/us-soldier-acqu.html Not guilty.

I agree that ears and stuff does not help win hearts and minds but dont we have to consider where these guys operate? Its Afghanistan, a place where human life is not worth much anyway. A country with a different culture and mentality.

Is it rational to assume that soldiers operating over there for months, subject to attacks etc. will behave in a way that other people living in an entirely different environment will find... appropriate?

This case IMHO raises questions that a part of USA does not want to answer. I am an outsider but I dont believe you can have a gentlemans war (IF there is such a thing) in Afghanistan.

"In Rome Like the Romans" as the saying goes. If that cant be done, its time to quit and arrange for somekind of truce.

I would like to announce Master Sergeant Joe Newell is found NOT guilty on all charges. When you have all the facts presented this is a completely different case.

Remember the papers are out there to do one thing "sell papers" that is all nothing more and nothing less.

I am absolutely honored to have served this professional. His actions leading up to the final verdict is further evidence of what type of leader he is. Imagine having a life sentence weighing on the back of your mind for almost a year. Joe never blamed anyone for his actions and continued to take the moral high ground throughout this entire process.

He has displayed more professionalism over the last year than most soldiers do during their entire career. A true test of character is shown in times of adversity.

Respectfully,

Chris Ghannam

Congrats, MSG Newell.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=319549

Jurors say soldier not guilty of murder, mutilation

By Drew Brooks
Staff writer
ADVERTISEMENT
A Fort Bragg soldier accused of killing an unarmed Afghan and then cutting off the man’s ear has been found not guilty on all counts.

The jurors deliberated about four hours before announcing their decision.

Lawyers in the trial of Master Sgt. Joseph D. Newell gave their closing arguments Wednesday morning. The panel began deliberating around 1 p.m.

Newell, 39, of Tecumseh, Mich., was charged with premeditated murder and mutilating a dead body. He could have faced up to life in prison if he had been convicted.

The charges stemmed from an incident during combat operations outside Hyderabad, Afghanistan, on March 5. Newell was a team sergeant with the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group when the incident occurred.

The man he shot had been detained after a vehicle stop when Newell discovered a picture of a Russian machine gun commonly used by Taliban forces on the man’s cell phone.

Newell testified that he shot the man twice because the man lunged at him during questioning.

Military judge Col. Patrick Parrish instructed jurors that if they found Newell not guilty of premeditated murder, they would need to consider the lesser charge of non-premeditated murder.

Capt. Seamus Barry, a lawyer for the prosecution, said the defense’s assertion that Newell acted in self-defense could not be taken seriously.

Barry said eye witness accounts proved the man did not constitute a threat and that if he had lunged, he would have been seen by the witnesses, who were standing three feet and five meters away, respectively.

“This case is about murder. This case is not about a developmental mistake, a close call or self-defense,” Barry said. “The accused had it in his mind that he was going to kill that man.”

Barry said the man was unarmed and defenseless. He told jurors that Newell’s actions were discrediting to the Armed Forces and a burden on fellow soldiers, who had to deal with the situation between missions.

“And as if the shooting wasn’t bad enough... he severed the man’s ear,” Barry said.

Newell was a good man and a good soldier, Barry said, but on March 5, he was a murderer.

“This isn’t the movies, where every killer is a monster in a hockey mask,” Barry said. “Good people and good soldiers do bad things.”

For the first time, the seats in the courtroom were filled with spectators. Newell’s family has watched the trial from the beginning, and they were joined by other soldiers and witnesses who testified for the prosecution and the defense.

Todd Conormon, one of Newell’s lawyers, said the case was one that left him awake at night, wondering about missed points and unasked questions.

“I do not want to let this brave man down,” he said, motioning to Newell.

Conormon said he felt the evidence was clear and convincing that Newell lawfully shot a suspected insurgent at a moment he felt his life was threatened.

“Every soldier has the right to act in self-defense to kill the enemy and to not be second-guessed,” he said.

Conormon reiterated the judge’s instructions that a soldier is not required to pause at his peril to consider the proper amount of force before protecting himself.

Conormon said soldiers such as Newell are trained to crush “the poised rattlesnake.”

“If you pause, you could be dead and people with you could be dead,” Conormon said.

Conormon then attacked the credibility of a number of the prosecution’s witnesses, including eye witnesses and Newell’s commanding officer.

He said Newell deserved the benefit of the doubt and referenced the eight character witnesses who vouched for his integrity.

“We’re not trying to hide behind a technicality. We believe there is clear and convincing evidence of Master Sgt. Newell’s innocence,” Conormon said.

As for the cutting off of the ear, Conormon said it was a unique situation.

“I’m not saying it was okay, but his judgment was clearly impaired,” he said. “Soldiers talk about stuff like this. We do. It’s the truth. We saw it in Vietnam. We saw it in World War II. It’s in the Bible.”

Quoting Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Conormon said, “War is cruelty and you cannot refine it.”

“The public doesn’t understand what soldiers go through in that environment,” Conormon said. “This man should go home with his family and put this nightmare behind him.”

Rebutting Conormon’s remarks, prosecuting lawyer Capt. Christopher Harry said Newell’s story is one of convenience.

He pointed to a number of remarks that do not appear to be consistent with other testimony.

“To believe Newell, virtually everyone else who testified would have to be liars,” Harry said. “Those witnesses didn’t get to bring in six guys to say how great they were.”

Harry said that Newell came to the conclusion that the Afghan was a bad guy and decided then and there to kill him.

“On March 5, he appointed himself judge, jury and executioner and on that day, he became a murderer,” Harry said.

It’s about damn time! I am very happy for MSG Newell and his family!!!

I am so sick of reading of how our hero’s, our warriors and US ARMY Soldiers are doing the wrong thing. I am tired of some fat assclown sitting back armchair quarter backing the plays made by our defenders. These men our protecting the freedoms of the people who try to prosecute them and even though the prosecutors will say, “yes he is our protector” they will also say “he is dangers and unruly, or a murder”.

For once it seems that the justice system has worked!

Quiet Professional. Pretty much sums it up, even though the entire world was pushing to make an example of him.
As for the "spectators"... Fuck... That... S**t.

The jury verdict is by a majority of the members in a Courts Martial not by all members. Most folks do not know that. I wonder what the make up of the jury was and if 1/2 were NCO's.

I am surprised that he was not found guilty of the mutilation, which he admitted. It sounds like "jury nullification." The jury did not like the law, so they acquitted him of that charge.

Testimony: Ear taken to earn respect

By Drew Brooks
Staff writer
ADVERTISEMENT

A Fort Bragg soldier cut off an Afghan’s ear to earn the respect of his fellow soldiers, a forensic psychologist said Tuesday during the soldier’s court-martial.

Dr. Claudia Coleman was among the last witnesses to testify in the trial of Master Sgt. Joseph D. Newell. The defense concluded its presentation of evidence Tuesday. Closing arguments are scheduled when court resumes at 9 a.m. today at Fort Bragg.

Newell is accused of killing an unidentified Afghan and then mutilating his body by cutting off the man’s ear. The incident happened March 5 during combat operations near Hyderabad, Afghanistan.

If convicted, Newell could face life in prison.

Defense lawyers have argued that Newell shot the Afghan in self-defense and that the man was an insurgent, possibly a member of the Taliban.

Coleman said that after Newell killed the man, he was concerned about losing the respect of his fellow soldiers.

Newell testified Monday that after shooting the Afghan a superior officer jokingly asked if he had taken the man’s ear. The remark and laughter that followed upset him, Newell said.

Coleman said Newell told her that he needed to get the ear to restore his status on the team. Coleman said the act was a product of the original fear response and was not psychotic, crazy or sadistic. It was a “product of the situation,” she said.

Coleman said she reviewed Newell’s casework and met with him twice before determining that his actions March 5 were consistent with a fearful reaction to a threat. Coleman said Newell does not, and did not, suffer from any mental illness or disorder, including post-traumatic stress disorder.

But, she said, Newell feared for his life at the time he shot the Afghan.

Coleman said Newell’s training also could have contributed to his actions.

Newell, 39, of Tecumseh, Mich., was a team sergeant with the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group when the incident occurred.

The man he shot had been detained after a vehicle stop when Newell discovered a picture of a Russian machine gun commonly used by Taliban forces on the man’s cell phone.

Newell testified that he shot the man twice because the man lunged at him during questioning.

Coleman said Newell most likely pulled the trigger before he really thought about what he was doing.

“Thinking comes later,” Coleman said. “Reaction comes first.”

During cross-examination, Coleman said nothing would have prevented Newell from being able to formulate pre-meditation or intent, but she said she believed the actions were purely a non-cognitive response.

Coleman said Newell understood that cutting off the ear was wrong, and that he exhibited bad judgment and poor decision-making.

“He was not thinking as rationally as usual,” she said.

Coleman said that despite Newell’s assertion otherwise during his testimony, he most likely did not mean to kill the man but instead was responding as a reflex.

“It’s consistent that people think they intended to do what they did,” she said.

Another forensic psychologist, Maj. Christopher Lange, also evaluated Newell.

Lange, who testified via telephone, said he also believed nothing would have precluded Newell’s ability to form intent or to premeditate the killing.

Lange evaluated Newell at Walter Reed Medical Center to determine whether he was competent for trial. He said he determined that Newell suffered from no mental disorder or defect.

He said that at the time Newell cut off the ear, he may have been suffering from an adjustment disorder that would have affected his mental state.

Both psychologists said that during their evaluations they detected no attempt by Newell to lie or hide facts about the case or his feelings during the incident.

In other testimony Tuesday, a friend of Newell’s vouched for his judgment and trustworthiness.

The friend, Master Sgt. Frankie McRae, said he and Newell met while training Special Forces soldiers in hand-to-hand combat and close-quarters combat. He said Newell would always do what was right, even when it might not be in his best interests.

Another friend, Master Sgt. Sean Berk, testified that Newell was an outstanding soldier who would go out of the way to tell the truth, even if he knew it would hurt.

Berk, who served under and alongside Newell, said he was always a caring leader and soldier.

Staff writer Drew Brooks can be reached at brooksd@fayobserver.com or 486-3567.

I have been following this with great interest..I am delighted for Master Sgt. Joseph D. Newell and his family..

People forget Afghanistan is a war..its kill or be killed.. I'd like to think that if I was ever faced with similar circumstance I would have acted in a similar manner..minus the ear bit:D

the only reason that I didn't shoot the epw that lunged/fought with me, was because:

I knew he was unarmed other than his hands/fists
I knew I could kick his ass hands down
I knew that the rest of the fire team would blow him away if he actually started kicking my ass.
I knew he couldn't get a weapon off of me, because I didn't have one ON me other than myself, period.

The CO had ordered for us to take him captive for questioning, not for us to kill him given any chance to do so. So, we handled him appropriately. You'd think he would have learned the lesson when I restrained him the first time... he resisted, I about killed him then. SL tied him up, then went out on recce with Bravo team... Alpha got left behind to supervise the goons. Tough Hadji got loose, and tried to escape.

And got fucked up. SL came back and saw my shit eating grin, asked wtf happened... dude tried to escape, I beat the piss out of him until he stopped fighting me, restrained him properly, and put him back in his makeshift cell. Dude looked like ass too afterwards, it was sorta awesome in a sad way.

Testimony: Ear taken to earn respect

By Drew Brooks
Staff writer
ADVERTISEMENT

A Fort Bragg soldier cut off an Afghan’s ear to earn the respect of his fellow soldiers, a forensic psychologist said Tuesday during the soldier’s court-martial.

Staff writer Drew Brooks can be reached at brooksd@fayobserver.com or 486-3567.

This is exactly what my wife said was going to be presented, man she is smart (after all, she did marry me).

Seriously though, the breakdown of the team is something their leadership will have to look at. His career has peaked, and the ODA CDR will be tainted, along with some of the others who interacted with the MSG. Damn shame.

Here is a fact that the jury wasn’t preview to:

Master Sgt. Newell was locked up in solitaire confinement for over FOUR months. A six by six cell, chained at the ankles and wrist tied to a belt around his waist with three other animals that were on death row. 23 hours a day locked up PRIOR to any trial.

He was shoveled his meals on the floor to him like an animal, he couldn’t even communicate with his wife or attorney without a written request. He spent the last 10 months of his life locked up as an animal, a killer and quite frankly a man who simply had a screw loose.

I was the command intelligence special projects coordinator for GITMO for 2 ½ years and will tell you for FACT, we treated detainees better than we treated one of our own. I am quite confident the panel quickly assessed the so called “witnesses” lack of knowledge, inability to answer the difficult questions and continuous selective amnesia.

Master Sgt. Newell liquidated everything for his defense, his savings and his home. Sark Securities Inc. did not charge anything more than one dollar for any and all consultation. This soldier sacrificed everything just to prove his innocence. Really try to imagine what he must have gone through, try to imagine how he must of felt every time he had to look at his little girl and wife from behind bars. Try to imagine how his entire future and life came down to a split second.

As far as the ear goes, we have numerous documentation and footage of deadly force encounters where after the professional has killed the suspect they have walked up to the body and emptied a complete magazine into the dead corps or physically beaten the body for no apparent reason.

LE officers nationwide are sued more than any military organization, there is a reason they are immediately pulled from the scene, weapon taken and not given back until after an internal investigation is complete and the officer has time to re-adjust.

A soldier is not afforded that luxury because you are forced to operate in some of the most dangerous places in the world. You are expected to thrive in chaos; you are expected to be perfect. Master Sgt. Newell did not ask to be sent to hell half way around the world. Master Sgt. Newell did not control the actions of the unknown suspected enemy combatant. Control is an illusion in combat. You do not rise to the occasion in combat; you sink to your level of training.

What makes an operator high speed? It is not cool tactical gear, fancy tabs and the ability to rip through pre-coordinated scenarios in training. It is the ability to master the basics and apply your skill to the unknown.

Joe was placed in an unknown environment. I am just grateful I do not have to add another warrior to our fallen page.

Sark Securities Inc. will be setting up a fund in Joe’s name where anyone can donate a maximum of $5; we are on a mission to get every dollar this service member has paid for his defense back to him. We have set a cap of $5 dollars because we feel it will mean more that so many professionals supported him and not just some corporation looking for a tax write off.

The life of the fund will be terminated at the point Master Sgt. Joe Newell has been refunded every single penny paid out. I will post the details ONLY after receiving permission from the moderator of this forum.

Respectfully,

Chris

Sorry I just posted the news on another thread but you guys are way ahead of me.

I'm a Nurse that cares for the wounded coming home and the sister of a Fallen Marine.

I am so thankful MSgt Newell is free and cleared of these charges. I'm was sick to my stomach over what he was put through. It's a sad day when we put our SOLDIERS on trial for being SOLDIERS. I pray for this Soldier every single night. His name was written in my bible.

I simply cannot imagine this country without brave warriors like MSgt Newell. When I rec'd the news last night I was so happy I cried. The man suffered so much for simply having the guts to be a SOLDIER.

I will forever be greatful to him and others that serve. I can never repay them for what they have done for me but I will never stop trying too either.

God Bless you MSgt Newell. I pray you and your loved ones can not move forward and put this behind you. I know it won't be easy. I'll never stop praying for you. I'm so sorry for what you have been through. It's a disgrace that a Soldier like you had to be treated so bad.

Thank you for my freedom MSgt Newell.

Thank you to all of you guys. BRAVE BRAVE Warriors....

T~

PS: Please let me know where I can donate to the fund. It's the very LEAST I can do...Please include me in on this. I want to help him anyway I can.

The life of the fund will be terminated at the point Master Sgt. Joe Newell has been refunded every single penny paid out. I will post the details ONLY after receiving permission from the moderator of this forum.

Respectfully,

Chris

Please PM Myself with the details of the Fund before it is posted.

Thanks.

Here is a fact that the jury wasn’t preview to:

Master Sgt. Newell was locked up in solitaire confinement for over FOUR months. A six by six cell, chained at the ankles and wrist tied to a belt around his waist with three other animals that were on death row. 23 hours a day locked up PRIOR to any trial.

He was shoveled his meals on the floor to him like an animal, he couldn’t even communicate with his wife or attorney without a written request. He spent the last 10 months of his life locked up as an animal, a killer and quite frankly a man who simply had a screw loose.

I was the command intelligence special projects coordinator for GITMO for 2 ½ years and will tell you for FACT, we treated detainees better than we treated one of our own.

This makes me furious. Illegal aliens get treated better than this. Heads should roll. :mad:

What makes an operator high speed? It is not cool tactical gear, fancy tabs and the ability to rip through pre-coordinated scenarios in training. It is the ability to master the basics and apply your skill to the unknown.

Ding, ding, ding!!! Great post! Please PM me with the website where I can send my $5...

Back