CPT Garrett Lawton - MARSOC - Afghanistan

We had the memorial out in front of CJSOTF-A the other day.

During the Fallen Comrade ceremony, held at about 0'dark thirty local, I was granted the honor and privilege of being the M240 tail-gunner to stand guard over him on the GMV. I know the MARSOC guys would do the same for me.

I was doing ok until that last stretch, out on the runway, rolling to the aircraft. The faint strains of the pipes playing Amazing Grace hit me like a short hard right to the stomach.

So, I'll tell you all right now up front. If you see the video or the pics of the ceremony, the gunner with the tears running down his face was me.

And, yes, before you ask, the 240 was loaded. As was the .50 in the turret. That's the way we roll.

We had the memorial out in front of CJSOTF-A the other day.

During the Fallen Comrade ceremony, held at about 0'dark thirty local, I was granted the honor and privilege of being the M240 tail-gunner to stand guard over him on the GMV. I know the MARSOC guys would do the same for me.

I was doing ok until that last stretch, out on the runway, rolling to the aircraft. The faint strains of the pipes playing Amazing Grace hit me like a short hard right to the stomach.

So, I'll tell you all right now up front. If you see the video or the pics of the ceremony, the gunner with the tears running down his face was me.

And, yes, before you ask, the 240 was loaded. As was the .50 in the turret. That's the way we roll.

Thanks for that.

Back