crossroads/mid life crisis

downshift90

Unverified
first off, thanks to everyone that reads and answers as I've learned nothing is ever owed to you. so thanks again -- first time here

age 33
profession: vp large bank
income: south of 200 (all in)
family: not yet established
education: bs/ms 3.9/4.0
race: minority
physically good shape able to pass most if not all physical standards for PD/SF (working on run and swim times)

Ive spent the last maybe 10 years building a career in finance and just waking up a little bit later than most that I would be okay taking a pay cut and doing something/starting over from scratch.

since i was mainly interested in serving/giving back and doing a career that was bit more on the active side, i narrowed it two career fields: military and law enforcement. I got all the help I could get from chat gpt and figured get some human input before i start applying/etc

Military sf

seals mostly young dudes i understand and chances of you ending on ship for 6 years pretty high with no option to return if your age group closes - ruled it out
air force pj/cct - 5 dudes out a 100 probably best not to take my chances there either being later in life
army sf (guard or active) is what i'm considering as average age there is older as well (currently training to bring myself to competitive physical standards..couple months out) - only viable option

LE

federal
fbi/dea/atf/secret service/us marshals
understand the competitiveness of each and their functions but not sure where i would the best fit and also understand their age cutoffs being federal agencies
will apply; not sure if it's likely but will still apply
* i do know the bureau hires accountants and lawyers etc. but my background is not competitive or consistent in that nature (i think)

the other two other options: state/local police. Ideally, I'm researching large depts in country (if you have suggestions please let me know). I have done ride along with a few. I think i would be okay/perfectly happy doing patrol for some time but ideally (as i approach late 30s), would want to move up or across different depts (swat, cid, etc) based on performance as a street cop off course.

so those are some of the options I'm considering. Its a big decision; wasn't quite sure where to start; narrowed it down this much and as the year turns, will probably make a decision. If you have any input, it would greatly appreciated. my only self gut check would be that given that maybe i'm older, best to stick to federal local or state law enforcement than compete with a bunch of younger guys in military but either way, where i can best put my current skills to use, i'm up for the challenge.

thanks again!

first off, thanks to everyone that reads and answers as I've learned nothing is ever owed to you. so thanks again -- first time here

age 33
profession: vp large bank
income: south of 200 (all in)
family: not yet established
education: bs/ms 3.9/4.0
race: minority
physically good shape able to pass most if not all physical standards for PD/SF (working on run and swim times)

Ive spent the last maybe 10 years building a career in finance and just waking up a little bit later than most that I would be okay taking a pay cut and doing something/starting over from scratch.

since i was mainly interested in serving/giving back and doing a career that was bit more on the active side, i narrowed it two career fields: military and law enforcement. I got all the help I could get from chat gpt and figured get some human input before i start applying/etc

Military sf

seals mostly young dudes i understand and chances of you ending on ship for 6 years pretty high with no option to return if your age group closes - ruled it out
air force pj/cct - 5 dudes out a 100 probably best not to take my chances there either being later in life
army sf (guard or active) is what i'm considering as average age there is older as well (currently training to bring myself to competitive physical standards..couple months out) - only viable option

LE

federal
fbi/dea/atf/secret service/us marshals
understand the competitiveness of each and their functions but not sure where i would the best fit and also understand their age cutoffs being federal agencies
will apply; not sure if it's likely but will still apply
* i do know the bureau hires accountants and lawyers etc. but my background is not competitive or consistent in that nature (i think)

the other two other options: state/local police. Ideally, I'm researching large depts in country (if you have suggestions please let me know). I have done ride along with a few. I think i would be okay/perfectly happy doing patrol for some time but ideally (as i approach late 30s), would want to move up or across different depts (swat, cid, etc) based on performance as a street cop off course.

so those are some of the options I'm considering. Its a big decision; wasn't quite sure where to start; narrowed it down this much and as the year turns, will probably make a decision. If you have any input, it would greatly appreciated. my only self gut check would be that given that maybe i'm older, best to stick to federal local or state law enforcement than compete with a bunch of younger guys in military but either way, where i can best put my current skills to use, i'm up for the challenge.

thanks again!

It's almost never too late to sign up, although your window is closing. I think joining the military is a very noble and special act. Volunteering for a special operations assignment is a great and challenging way to serve your nation. It's also one of the hardest. Every special operations field is different but they are somehow as similar as they are unique. Every single SOF field is looking for qualified people and they have a system to weed out the people they are not looking for. The only variable is you. Decide what you are passionate about and attack that dream with all you have. And don't quit. That's really all it comes down to. It's the simplest and hardest recipe for success anyone can give you. Good luck!

It's almost never too late to sign up, although your window is closing. I think joining the military is a very noble and special act. Volunteering for a special operations assignment is a great and challenging way to serve your nation. It's also one of the hardest. Every special operations field is different but they are somehow as similar as they are unique. Every single SOF field is looking for qualified people and they have a system to weed out the people they are not looking for. The only variable is you. Decide what you are passionate about and attack that dream with all you have. And don't quit. That's really all it comes down to. It's the simplest and hardest recipe for success anyone can give you. Good luck!
any of those options are fine with me. i was just leaning more towards non military just listening to all the sof guys being deployed all the time away from families etc. if family is something considering idk just thought maybe serving on the home front (best gig i can get) might be worth looking into. but for sure do agree with your statement wholeheartedly.

any of those options are fine with me. i was just leaning more towards non military just listening to all the sof guys being deployed all the time away from families etc. if family is something considering idk just thought maybe serving on the home front (best gig i can get) might be worth looking into. but for sure do agree with your statement wholeheartedly.

Are you opposed to emergency medicine? I've been a paramedic just north of philly for nearly 25 years.

Former Army medic prior. EMS can lead to a number of special teams, USAR, tactical, both I worked in for years. Now, I'm an FTO for my agency.

Just a thought, perhaps.

Are you opposed to emergency medicine? I've been a paramedic just north of philly for nearly 25 years.

Former Army medic prior. EMS can lead to a number of special teams, USAR, tactical, both I worked in for years. Now, I'm an FTO for my agency.

Just a thought, perhaps.x
helping people in that regard has never been my calling. if i fell into it as in my MOS or something if i went the 18x route for national guard then I wouldn't be opposed to it. but nothing i longed to do given literally everybody in my non-immediate family is a doctor.

friends also a paramedic back in texas and just doesn't scratch the itch if you know what i mean. I appreciate bringing it up

helping people in that regard has never been my calling. if i fell into it as in my MOS or something if i went the 18x route for national guard then I wouldn't be opposed to it. but nothing i longed to do given literally everybody in my non-immediate family is a doctor.

friends also a paramedic back in texas and just doesn't scratch the itch if you know what i mean. I appreciate bringing it up

No worries, you gotta do what makes you happy and complete. I wish you luck brother.

Back