Daddy got a new toy!

Arrow 4

Civil Affairs
Verified SOF
I "Needed" a new bolt gun to do suppressor demo's now that I got the SureFire SOCOM 762 since I did not want to reconfigure my Remington 700 LTR - It shoots too nice to mess with! So I just picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .308 with a 16.5" threaded barrel. I've got the suppressor adapter installed, swapped the Hogue stock out with a Bell & Carlson, added a PRI 20MOA base and rings, Harris swivel bipod with the podlock and just topped it off with a NightForce NXS 3.5 - 15 x 50 with the NP PR2 reticle. Now I just need to get this thing to the range and see how it shoots! - Pictures to follow in a few days.

Well I just got back from the range with some very disappointing results. The first time out with this rifle was dismal, I believe it is my fault in going cheap on the gun. I shot strings of 150 FMJ - which I knew would not group, but just to break in the barrel and get me on paper. I then shot both 168 FGMM and 165 SGK.
The groups did tighten up a bit as I put more rounds through the barrel, but never better than MOA at 100 and at 300 the 165 SGK opened up to 2.5 MOA, while the 168 FGMM held the 1 MOA. It was starting to warm up quite a bit with too much mirage. My last string was 300 yards with the 165 SGK out of my 700 LTR in the AX stock in the picture and it was easily sub MOA without much effort.
I might be too hasty here, but am considering swapping the barrel out with a Bartlein or Krieger barrel????

Last edited:
Is it the SPS TAC or Sport? Barrel twist? Rounds through it?

Before you re-barrel, gunk it up, no cleaning for about 300 rounds. I've got some steel match hornaday 155 match that won't run in my AR10 ( hard primers), let me know ill cut you a deal.

Is it the SPS TAC or Sport? Barrel twist? Rounds through it?

Before you re-barrel, gunk it up, no cleaning for about 300 rounds. I've got some steel match hornaday 155 match that won't run in my AR10 ( hard primers), let me know ill cut you a deal.

Hey JAB...I think I might be a little hasty in my comments about re-barreling the gun. I do need to put more rounds through it and see how it goes, I don't have much choice since I don't have money for a new barrel right now anyway. If it doesn't shoot to my liking I will go with a new Krieger barrel as surgicalcric suggests.

Thanks

Krieger, Bartlien, Brux, Rock Creek all make good barrels. I've got barrels from all. The Bartlein and Rock Creek usually get a little faster FPS but ALL are accurate. The biggest thing is to get a good gunsmith. Don't use your buddy's buddy…

I'd suggest using Long Rife's Inc group buy which you can get them to true your action, spin a barrel on, thread for brake/suppressor, cerakote, bolt handle, etc..
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...2014-remington-m700-accurizing-group-buy.html

I've had them do two guns. Chad is an excellent gunsmith/ machinist. When the Mk13's wouldn't run, they were sent to him to figure out. They receiver truing will cost $125, barrel chambering is $200, threading is $50. Oh and his turn around is about 2 weeks.

Krieger, Bartlien, Brux, Rock Creek all make good barrels. I've got barrels from all. The Bartlein and Rock Creek usually get a little faster FPS but ALL are accurate. The biggest thing is to get a good gunsmith. Don't use your buddy's buddy…

I'd suggest using Long Rife's Inc group buy which you can get them to true your action, spin a barrel on, thread for brake/suppressor, cerakote, bolt handle, etc..
http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...2014-remington-m700-accurizing-group-buy.html

I've had them do two guns. Chad is an excellent gunsmith/ machinist. When the Mk13's wouldn't run, they were sent to him to figure out. They receiver truing will cost $125, barrel chambering is $200, threading is $50. Oh and his turn around is about 2 weeks.

Thanks Koz. There is a smith near me, Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks who has a very good reputation. Before I do anything I need to put some more rounds through this gun and make 100% sure it wasn't just me. In reviewing my targets, the last string I shot with the 168 FGMM was only three rounds at 300 yards. 2 rounds were within .75" and 1 round was 6" low from that. It may very well have been a little of me and a little of the extreme mirage. Anyway, I don't have the $$ for a new barrel at the moment and so getting it back out to the range for some more rounds won't delay my decision in any way....we'll see what happens.

Back