Darkhorse Soldiers stand down for safety

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2012/Feb/120216-02.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky.(USASOC News Service, Feb. 16, 2012) –Soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), took a day Feb. 14 to stand down and focus on safety issues, both on- and off-duty.

More than 350 “Darkhorse” Soldiers gathered to participate in classes, practical exercises and to present awards, all centered on the day’s safety theme.

Lt. Col. Phil Ryan, the 2nd Battalion, 160th SOAR commander, highlighted the importance of taking time to deliberately focus on safety.

“Most safety stand-down days are in reaction to something bad happening” said Ryan. “Today, we are taking an intentional time-out to put a focus on safety.’

“I’m certain that this proactive approach has a direct impact on the stellar safety record of this battalion,” he continued.

The safety stand-down day consisted of a number of classes on various topics such as distracted driving, physical and mental well-being, and vehicle and motorcycle safety.

Kentucky State Trooper Stu Recke provided the Soldiers with tips on being safe and emphasized the need to reduce distracters while driving and remain focused on the task at hand.

“Ninety four percent of drivers have emerged in some kind of activity that was potentially distracting,” said Recke. “In one instant, engaged driving can change a life forever or end it.”

The battalion ended the day with the presentation of several safety awards.

Col. John Thompson, the 160th SOAR commander, joined Ryan as he presented safety plaques recognizing excellence in airborne operations and night vision goggle flying hours.

Sgt. 1st Class Robert Thompson, Airborne Support Detachment NCOIC and a battalion jumpmaster, was presented a plaque for safely conducting 100 accident free airborne jumps.

Thompson, who attended airborne school in 1993, has more than 110 career jumps and credits his safety record to the skillful paratroopers and jumpmasters of the “Darkhorse” Battalion.

Three Soldiers also received plaques for safely conducting over 50 accident free airborne jumps. They were:

1st Sgt. Jesse Ruth;
Staff Sgt. Rolando Sarabia;
Staff Sgt. Miguel Sigari

Several Darkhorse crewmembers were presented plaques for safely reaching significant aviation flight hour milestones.

Recognized for 2,000 accident free night vision goggle flying hours were:

Chief Warrant Officer 5 Michael Tucker;
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Charles Newell

Recognized for 1,000 accident free night vision goggle flying hours were:

Chief Warrant Officer 4 Jeremy Delk;
Chief Warrant Officer 4 Frank Escamilla;
Chief Warrant Officer 4 William Wiley;
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Chad Dominique;
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert Larson;
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Peter Sullivan;
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Craig Tripp;
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Ryan Walters;
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Thomas Wiggins;
Staff Sgt. Mathew Brickey;
Staff Sgt. Christopher Crowley;
Staff Sgt. David Hutchings;
Sgt. Karl Hamamoto;
Sgt. Ryan Simpson

01-2-160-2012_TN.jpg

Lt. Col. Phil Ryan, the 2nd Battalion, 160th SOAR commander, addresses troops during the “Darkhorse” Battalion safety stand-down day Feb. 14 at Fort Campbell, Ky. The battalion took the day to participate in classes, practical exercises and to present awards all aimed at safety. (Photo by Maj. Mike Burns, 160th SOAR PAO)

nn6xcn.jpg

It is interesting to see, how the Chinook guys went from being kinda looked down upon by the other Regiment flyers, to being essential to the Afghan front in the Global War on Terror.

A Plaque for jumping? Seriously?

Same planet, different worlds. It's a cultural thing; don't hate. SOAR's accident rate is miniscule in comparison to other aviation units, which I'm willing to bet makes the guys they support feel pretty good when they step on board.

Same planet, different worlds. It's a cultural thing; don't hate. SOAR's accident rate is miniscule in comparison to other aviation units, which I'm willing to bet makes the guys they support feel pretty good when they step on board.

I am not criticizing the flying hour awards, I am questioning the parachuting awards.
I always felt safe on a 160th Bird.

I am not criticizing the flying hour awards, I am questioning the parachuting awards. I always felt safe on a 160th Bird.

I got what you were criticizing. At first glance, it probably doesn't appear that jumping has much to do with superior flying. But I'd argue that rewarding sustained excellence (or hey, maybe even didn't-fuck-upery) in any facet of operations is an important part of creating a culture of precision so that ultimatelyyou get a peerless flyer at the controls of an aircraft that isn't going to cause mission failure because it's broke. Maintenance awards, admin support awards, logistic team awards (Team Red Dawg!) etc. Not novel concepts, but taken seriously and consistently handed out. Jumping is just another part of business.

Swill - I can see where SOWT is coming from, a JM doesn't control sudden gusts, or gopher holes, or downed trees... those things are considered accidents on a jump.... These awards make me wonder if there isn't some gaming based on weather or a known DZ by the 'safety mavens'...

lol, ahhh I remember safety stand downs, death by power point combined with the usual "don't kill yourself" brief that after the entire safety stand down all day session you DO wanna kill yourself :p

Whats the story with the SSgts and Sgts getting NODs flying awards? Though only Chiefs and above drive ?

Back