Direct Commission Army Cyber

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
One of my good friends has a son who recently graduated from a well-known East Coast college with a degree in mech engineering and a minor in robotics. He was in the process of enlisting in the Air Force in a highly-specialized MOS (something to do with nukes, maybe?) when the ol' bait-and-switch happened and the Air Force wanted him to switch over to a job he doesn't want to do. He since found out about direct commissioning into the Army's Cyber branch. My friend contacted me today to ask me if I knew anything about the program.

I read through the Army.com page (below), anyone have any first- or second-hand experience with going this route?

Cyber Direct Commissioning Program

I know enlisted Marines who directly commissioned into the Air Force as 1st Lts. I imagine it’s a similar offer in the Army.

Navy has a pretty good direct commissioning program too. My wife has entertained crossing over from the enlisted air force side to do it. Air Force doesn't apparently make it easy to commission, even if you're STEM and a PHD candidate.

Navy has a pretty good direct commissioning program too. My wife has entertained crossing over from the enlisted air force side to do it. Air Force doesn't apparently make it easy to commission, even if you're STEM and a PHD candidate.

The Navy has a direct commission for cyber warfare engineer, a fairly new field. There are also a bunch of other direct commission engineer programs.

I’ve heard rumors that Marine Corps former infantry officers can hold their own in cyber.

Haven’t dealt with the Os but the Enlisted Marines have a STELLAR reputation in USCC. Almost as good as 2600s on the MSOTs: they are known to be the best SOF SIGINTers outside of other Units.

I am in the process of putting together a package to commission in the Navy through DC in Intel. What I have found through speaking with others who have been selected is that it is highly competitive (at least for the Supply Corps and Intel, can't speak to any of the other offerings). Most candidates already have a master's degree or higher.

I am in the process of putting together a package to commission in the Navy through DC in Intel. What I have found through speaking with others who have been selected is that it is highly competitive (at least for the Supply Corps and Intel, can't speak to any of the other offerings). Most candidates already have a master's degree or higher.

I work with a guy that did it through Maryland. He said it was a lot easier than DC.

I hate to say it, but standing on top of your desk and inspirationally pointing with your knife doesn't help when guys are working an instrusion set!
Operational planning and listening skills do though. So does mission focus, resourcing, and an aggressive approach to removing bureaucractic obstacles. Too many technicians in this field. Not enough commanders. I’ve also seen technicians in charge frequently generate their own COAs on the fly instead of consulting their subordinates for their opinions and alternative options.

Last edited:

Best of luck man!!!

One of my good friends has a son who recently graduated from a well-known East Coast college with a degree in mech engineering and a minor in robotics. He was in the process of enlisting in the Air Force in a highly-specialized MOS (something to do with nukes, maybe?) when the ol' bait-and-switch happened and the Air Force wanted him to switch over to a job he doesn't want to do. He since found out about direct commissioning into the Army's Cyber branch. My friend contacted me today to ask me if I knew anything about the program.

I read through the Army.com page (below), anyone have any first- or second-hand experience with going this route?

Cyber Direct Commissioning Program

I'll mention this to my son. He's got 1 year to go on a 5-year mech engineering degree. He's already building robots. He's considering Marines, but he might be interested in this.

That sounds great, Brother. Good luck.

Appreciate it. I've got a major hurdle though in that I have psoriasis. Recruiter is working the med package through BUMED.

If you're interested in a possible fix, psoriasis is similar to eczema. I completely got rid of my eczema by changing my diet up. Within 5 weeks and during what would normally be the worst time, it completely went away.

Back