Discussion on book "Victory Point"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have done an excellent job of ignoring a key component

The thing is that's exactly what you've done. You've knit-picked to side tracked this discussion fr/the beginning. You ask me who I am as if who I am will validate or invalidate the book & discussion.. Why? The author's details check out.

Like any book there are things that can be verified & things that can't. The things that can, check out & in specific detail. The mission detail is b/c he was embedded with 2/3 for the deployment.. this also checks out.

The US Naval Institute operates as an Independent, Non-profit semi think-tank for the US Naval Academy promoting the Advancement of Naval theories, studies, & history.

They (USNI) have access to Mission Data that we could only dream of. They (USNI) verify & promote Naval Studies for Annapolis, they would have shredded this book if it were inaccurate but they named it a Best of '09.

You side-tracked the discussion earlier by saying the Mission didn't even have a name until after it started & ppl believe you.. This doesn't check out. In fact it was proven to be wrong. Not only did it have a name but it followed a pattern of Sports named missions planned by Marines at the time :doh:

But truthfully I don't care, your either going to read it or not, the USNI endorsed it thats enough for me.

The book focuses more on the many successes & ingenuity of 2/3 & 3/3 but of course goes into RW b/c it was a major event during the deployment that 2/3 was directly involved in.

You side-tracked the discussion earlier by saying the Mission didn't even have a name until after it started & ppl believe you.. This doesn't check out. In fact it was proven to be wrong. Not only did it have a name but it followed a pattern of Sports named missions planned by Marines at the time

You need to learn how to read. My very first post in the thread (#7) made fun of that premise. I KNOW it had a name because I read the ATO describing air support for the Op.......the day it went down. SO don't tell me what I did or didn't say.

And if you want to quote the book, then quote the book, but say that's what you are doing. Instead of referencing your experiences, the book, pillow talk, email from SIPR, or anything else we the readers can only conclude that your posts speak from personal knowledge and not some book.

And we know what the USNI is, but thank you for the clarification.

Instead of referencing your experiences, the book, pillow talk, email from SIPR

Wow more unsubstantiated claims, when did I reference my personal experience.. in fact I purposefully steered away your attempts to somehow tie my experience or lack of to the validity of the book.

If you want to know, I have a profile, it lists a unit, google has articles who we worked with & who we trained. It was nothing secret squirrel but worked mostly w/the specialized units of the USMC, some SOF, & the British & Dutch RM, nothing big.

...how many specialized USMC missions don't ppl on this site know about..:confused:

I have participated in several specialized USMC missions that most people on this site don't know about. Here is a news flash though, no one really cares because almost every member of this board with a green call sign has participated in highly sensitive missions that no one knows about. Other members here learned everything they know through books, movies and magazine articles. Which are you?

However 2/3's insertion was forwarded fr/the CAB to the 160th & I'm pretty sure it wasn't b/c Big Windy was busier than SOAR.

Have you ever requested assault support in Afghanistan? 2/3 was lucky to get anybody. It's a big country with a lot of people requesting a very limited number of air assets. CAB could very well have been busier than SOAR.

There are several missions & conditions that a MAGTF's ACE is both Certified & would be Authorized to conduct that a CAB is not even trained for. That's b/c the USMC is not a Convention Force but a GPF with Mission Sets that straddle both Conv/HIC & LIC/SO Fields.

You have a lot more confidence in the ACE than I do. What special certification do they have? I have been denied medevac by our ACE because they didn't want to land in a hot zone while TF 101 Eagle Assault recovered wounded off the hood of a HMMWV in the middle of a gun fight. Just because some Force Recon dudes might end in the back of their bird doesn't make them special.

Really, now that's a stretch. It can't be a simple answer like the information on this site is wrong...

Nobody's here to degrade M. Luttrell, I read "Lone Survivor" & liked it. "Victory Point" contains a lot of in depth & accurate info on Red Wings & the Ops that led up to & followed it.

It does however point out some inaccuracies & missteps of Op RW & that's ok. Ops occasionally go bad & this was a very tragic and compelling story that should be told fr/all sides.

The Naval Institute didn't name it a 2009 best b/c it was a good story but b/c it was an accurate & detailed retelling.

I remember when stories 1st surfaced that McChrystal signed off on a lie about P. Tilman. I called it BS but I read all sides, but ppl on Mil-Blogs put their fingers in their ears & had an online riots... WHY?? That was Championship KooL-Aid drinking at its best.

How this for a stretch YOU ARE WRONG you are taking the review form a bunch of hacks behind a desk. How about I give you some FACTS you are drawing attention to yourself and it has been noticed (FACT). Since you have been noticed YOU are now on my RADAR (FACT). Which means chances are you will be BANNED (NOT A FACT YET) if you don't quit playing know it all. You don't work for the Naval Institute (FACT). You are smarter than the average college student (FACT) but it does not mean you are smarter than me (FACT). Unless you where on the ground or have intimate knowledge of what happened and not just from reading a books please keep your fingers off the keyboard.

Have a great PB day

I've been looking for the sticky that states 'When posting from an outside source or website, use quotations for the post so that the info does not appear to be original information posted by an original poster', but can't seem to find it.

IOW, if you're not a BTDT and weren't present for the op, make it plainly so in your post.

Research is cool, hell, I research all the time, but to plagiarize another url as my own / your own words is a no-no.

:cool:

Looking for some opinions on this book " Victory Point: Operation Red Wings and Operation Whalers"
I've started reading it, and I am reservations about it, mainly that it serves as a complete rebuttal to Marcus Luttrell's account of the operation, stopping just short of calling him completely full of shit. I have found alot of contradictions in the book.

The author claims that he had access to classified After Action Reports.(Which I find highly unlikely)
Here are some of the issues outlined in the book pertaining to "Operation Red Wings" that the author criticizes Luttrell about.

4. Commo The Marines suggested the SEALs carry a PRC-117 20 Watt radio, but in spite of the suggestion the SEALs carried (5 Watt) PRC-148 handhelds, which proved to be ineffective in the valley.
The SEALs carried a Iridium 9505A satellite phone, which the author makes a big deal that "Lone Survivor" called it a cell phone.

5. There are many more issues to list, but the one that bothers me the most.
"Victory Point" claims that the SEALs were ambushed by 6-8 ACM fighters, not the 100+ that are claimed in "Lone Survivor", goes on to say that in Luttrell's intial AAR he stated that they were ambushed by 20-30 fighters. The author is using the video taken during the ambush as his proof for the number of fighters. Why would Marcus put his reputation on the line, and over-estimate the number of fighters in his book? I can understand being off by 20-25, but off by over 100? We are talking about an elite operator highly trained in reliable information gathering
[/url]

I will attempt to address some of your questions before this thread gets entirely off track and closed.

There are two sides to every story. It would not surprise me if the account related in Lone Survivor was somewhat "exaggerated" or was missing some details. Any combat veteran can tell you that recollections of battles are not entirely reliable because you really can't trust your memory. Your mind is subject to a host of human factors to include combat stress, physical trauma, time distortion, tunnel vision and auditory exclusion. This is why we compile debriefs and after action reports from multiple personnel from various vantage points. Marcus Luttrell tried his best to tell his story according to how he remembered it.

That being said, Luttrell's book was co-written by a New York Time bestselling FICTION author who made his name writing cheesy military thriller novels. Keep that in mind when you read the book. Patrick Robinson is out to entertain readers and make money. He is not trying to tell a factual, unbiased account of what happened. Dick Couch would have been a better co-author in my opinion because he is ex military and has produced some excellent NON FICTION NSW and SOF books. (ironically, Dick Couch is a USNI author). Ed Darack (Victory Point) is an independent photographer and writer who has mostly written books about his "adventures" traveling to the andes, Baja California etc. Until Victory Point was written, he was most famous for his photography. Do you think an unknown writer would benefit from some controversy like we are seeing in this thread? I bought the book to learn more about it and I am sure I am not the only one (granted I saw it in the four dollar bargain bin but hey profit is profit). So both authors have reasons to be less than truthful. So I would say neither account can be considered entirely factual and the truth is somewhere inbetween. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't read either book. There is something to learn in each of them.

Two: I am going to do a test with you. I am going to get twenty to thirty of my buddies and shoot at you with AKs. Then after ten minutes Freefalling is going to shoot at you with 100 of his friends but I won't tell you who is going first. Bet you can't tell the difference. Now do it after you have been shot, your friends are dying and you are evading. 20-30 dudes is a lot of dudes. It isn't easy determining the size of an enemy force under fire, especially when all you see is brief snapshots of battle as you try to raise your head to look around without getting shot. It is perfectly reasonable for him to be off by a hundred. I don't care how well you are trained.

On the other hand, it is equally likely is that the intel reports were way off as well. How are they getting the reports? There is no magic battle tracking system or battlefield CSI, at the end of the day they are getting that information from mathematically challenged Afghans. I won't go into details into the various "ints" you can use to get this information but suffice it to say you will get reports varying from there were two guys to 500 guys. At the end of the day no one has any idea how many guys were there, and Marcus Luttrell was actually there so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. And what if there were "only" thirty? It doesn't take anything away from his heroism. 30 guys on key terrain will certainly put a hurting on a four man team.

Lone Survivor and Victory Point are two very different perspectives on the same event or time period and like I said, the truth is somewhere between the two. This doesn't make either book unvalid or not worth reading. Victory Point is a good book, everyone should read it. People make it out to be some sort of counter Lone Survivor book, but it really isn't. Sure there is a lot about Lone Survivor in it but there is also a lot about COIN operations and a lot of brave, young Marines doing good work. They deserve to have their story told and not be overshadowed by some sort of perceived battle for the truth with Lone Survivor.

As to your other questions, remember that while some people here are read into the situation, no one here can really answer your questions or really discuss them at length because of the sensitivity of this operation (and all SOF operations in general). This was a SOF mission and as such, discussion of equipment and tactics utilized could compromise other missions and personnel.

Here is a good review of Victory Point from a Marine:
http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Point-Operations-Whalers-Afghanistan/product-reviews/B002VPE9O0/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_4?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFourStar"

One side never tells the whole story, and neither tells the whole truth, July 8, 2010
By R. Morden (Cen. Cal.) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers - the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan (Hardcover)
Victory Point is a good compliment to Lone Survivor just like Roberts' Ridge is complimented by The Mission, The Men and Me. However, all sides of a story are formed with bias and perception that may or may not be the whole truth. This isn't necessarily bad or good, it's just the way things are. As a Marine, I appreciate the praise the author gives the Marine Corps and the Marines involved in the situations discussed in the book. I do think it was a little too much though. No one, and nothing (especially organizations) is as perfect as the author describes the Marine Corps in the book. The Marine Corps, like all organizations and society as a whole is made up of people. People who make mistakes and fail, people who do everything correct and fail, and people who make mistakes and even everything wrong and still succeed. The Marine Corps' plan to capture the bad guy was solid. Well, so was the plan developed by the other units mentioned in the text. Mistakes were made, things went wrong, and people lost their lives, but that is the way this stuff goes down. The only thing the Marines had over the other units was, their plan never got put into action (tested). If they put theirs into action and the other guys were sitting on the bench it could have very easily been a whole list of different mistakes, different things going wrong, and a different list of guys who didn't make it home. Then it would have been a book written by a different embedded journalist writing about how, if the Marines had just listened to the N.S.W. guys and done a helo insert of the recon element versus allowing them to walk in. I can't make a valid comment about mistakes and decisions and what not without hearing the, "why" they did what they did, which the book never covered for whatever reason.... "

I went showing the books account, showing some things were verified some were not but that it had a good endorsement & I was attacked. I responded no big deal.

The MAGTF came into play b/c the insert, a low moon/ambient light insert, was something the Marines involved believed the MAGTF would've kept in-house. The CAB forwarding the insert to SOAR not b/c they were to busy but b/c of the conditions was pivotal, it changed the complexion of the mission. So should that not be mentioned?

I will attempt to address some of your questions before this thread gets entirely off track and closed.

That being said, Luttrell's book was co-written by a New York Time bestselling FICTION author who made his name writing cheesy military thriller novels. Keep that in mind when you read the book. Patrick Robinson is out to entertain readers and make money. He is not trying to tell a factual, unbiased account of what happened. Dick Couch would have been a better co-author in my opinion because he is ex military and has produced some excellent NON FICTION NSW and SOF books. (ironically, Dick Couch is a USNI author). Ed Darack (Victory Point) is an independent photographer and writer who has mostly written books about his "adventures" traveling to the andes, Baja California etc. Until Victory Point was written, he was most famous for his photography. Do you think an unknown writer would benefit from some controversy like we are seeing in this thread? I bought the book to learn more about it and I am sure I am not the only one (granted I saw it in the four dollar bargain bin but hey profit is profit).

...Lone Survivor and Victory Point are two very different perspectives on the same event or time period and like I said, the truth is somewhere between the two. This doesn't make either book unvalid or not worth reading. Victory Point is a good book, everyone should read it. People make it out to be some sort of counter Lone Survivor book, but it really isn't. Sure there is a lot about Lone Survivor in it but there is also a lot about COIN operations and a lot of brave, young Marines doing good work. They deserve to have their story told and not be overshadowed by some sort of perceived battle for the truth with Lone Survivor.

Funny thing is I said the same thing, BUT I'm glad I drew fire.

B/c whether you think the book 100% true, 50 or 75% it was getting a RAW DEAL on this site. I could've put word for word what Teufel just put up there & it would've been the same result, but that's cool. Whether its b/c he's "Verified SOF" or been on the site for awhile IDK or care.

What I do know is right now if someone doesn't know much about this book, there's a post up that no one's going to tear into just b/c or they think its a diss to Lutrell.

A FAIR Assessment wasn't on there last week, but its up there now.

Funny thing is I said the same thing, BUT I'm glad I drew fire.

B/c whether you think the book 100% true, 50 or 75% it was getting a RAW DEAL on this site. I could've put word for word what Teufel just put up there & it would've been the same result, but that's cool. Whether its b/c he's "Verified SOF" or been on the site for awhile IDK or care.

What I do know is right now if someone doesn't know much about this book, there's a post up that no one's going to tear into just b/c or they think its a diss to Lutrell.

A FAIR Assessment wasn't on there last week, but its up there now.

For those doubting the validity of the book "Victory Point" or the author, the book was just named one of the best books of 2009 by the United States Naval Institute.

I think the US Naval Institute would have a little more insight into a joint Navy SOF/Marine mission than any of the Naysayers on this site. Not to mention the amount of information provided about the Op & the missions preceding and following the Op Red Wings.

Um no your first post was about the validity of a desk jockey at the US Naval Institute. Do you even read what you post?

Um no your first post was about the validity of a desk jockey at the US Naval Institute. Do you even read what you post?

your right not that he didn't indirectly endorse the quality of the USNI.. its not that the US Naval Academy doesn't use the reports & studies that come out of the USNI.
Dick Couch would have been a better co-author in my opinion because he is ex military and has produced some excellent NON FICTION NSW and SOF books. (ironically, Dick Couch is a USNI author)

not all desk jockey's like many of today's think tank/think tank lite orgs

I want to be this guy when I grow up. He's real smart-like!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back