Eczema question

ikonik

Unverified
Hi all new here,

I've been looking into the military recently but I have some medical issues that I'm sure will dq me and just wanted some clarification. I've had eczema since high school (I'm 32 now) and recently it's been improving, a few years ago I would get red flareups and scaly skin and needed to apply a steroid cream on the affected areas (my face). But more recently I haven't experienced the red flareups and only have the scaly skin. The redness migrated to my neck and even that seems to be improving. I haven't needed the steroid cream for almost a year now and only use face moisturizer which is just as effective.

I was originally interested in the Navy but I read they seem to be more strict on these issues. Now I'm looking into the Army which seems to be more relaxed. I'm thinking of going to a recruiter anyways just to see if it's possible and I have a chance of getting a waiver, but I'm not counting on it. Is there anyone with any insight on current eczema policy? Thanks.

I'm thinking of going to a recruiter anyways just to see if it's possible and I have a chance of getting a waiver

This is basically the only thing you can do.

Eczema is one of those "automatically disqualifying" type things. The only way to know if its possible to get a waiver is to actually have a doc at MEPS check you and your medical history out.

As an anecdotal rule, the army tends to be a bit more lenient with waivers for eczema than the navy.

I have eczema. It DQ’d me from the service academies in 2009-2010. I was honest then, and it fucked me (well at the time... hindsight it was the best thing that could happen to me).

I made no mention of eczema when I enlisted in 2014. If it doesn’t hinder you- you don’t have weeping sores, or other obvious hindrances- just don’t say anything about it. I know a dozen other dudes with some for of eczema/psoriasis who are Tabbed E4s or team leaders and we all get along fine here.

What I would ask is this- is it cosmetic or is it medical?

I have eczema. It DQ’d me from the service academies in 2009-2010. I was honest then, and it fucked me (well at the time... hindsight it was the best thing that could happen to me).

I made no mention of eczema when I enlisted in 2014. If it doesn’t hinder you- you don’t have weeping sores, or other obvious hindrances- just don’t say anything about it. I know a dozen other dudes with some for of eczema/psoriasis who are Tabbed E4s or team leaders and we all get along fine here.

What I would ask is this- is it cosmetic or is it medical?
What do you mean by cosmetic or medical?

wow. Have had it for the entire 20 years I've been in the army and didn't know it was an issue.

In other news. My eczema completely cleared up within 3 months going on a carnivore diet.

I reached out to a Marine recruiter and he said that my age (32) would be more of a factor then eczema and that the dr.'s would be the only ones to determine if it's a dq.

Hi all new here,

I've been looking into the military recently but I have some medical issues that I'm sure will dq me and just wanted some clarification. I've had eczema since high school (I'm 32 now) and recently it's been improving, a few years ago I would get red flareups and scaly skin and needed to apply a steroid cream on the affected areas (my face). But more recently I haven't experienced the red flareups and only have the scaly skin. The redness migrated to my neck and even that seems to be improving. I haven't needed the steroid cream for almost a year now and only use face moisturizer which is just as effective.

I was originally interested in the Navy but I read they seem to be more strict on these issues. Now I'm looking into the Army which seems to be more relaxed. I'm thinking of going to a recruiter anyways just to see if it's possible and I have a chance of getting a waiver, but I'm not counting on it. Is there anyone with any insight on current eczema policy? Thanks.

I have eczema as well, never an issue. I informed my care provider AFTER I was in and everything was good. It made me exempt from certain shots but that's it. With how many shots we get, not mad to cross off a few of them.

I have eczema as well, never an issue. I informed my care provider AFTER I was in and everything was good. It made me exempt from certain shots but that's it. With how many shots we get, not mad to cross off a few of them.
Yea I also talked with an Army recruiter and I told him I use a moisturizer and that it's fine after I apply it and he said that should be fine. I heard the anthrax shot can produce a fatal result for people with eczema, any truth to that?

Does it just look manky, or does it cause you irritation, does it stop you doing things, will it be an easy entrance for infection.
I've never had an infection from it, it mostly just doesn't look good. Once I apply moisturizer for a few days it goes away.

If you're worried about eczema flaring up in the field and don't want a combat role, the AF may be a better fit than the Army. Something worth checking out.

Good luck.

I haven't considered the AF until now, but I did check out their jobs and a lot seem to overlap with the Navy. Also plus for AF is that you're living on land while Navy ships seem cramped and uncomfortable for months.

I haven't considered the AF until now, but I did check out their jobs and a lot seem to overlap with the Navy. Also plus for AF is that you're living on land while Navy ships seem cramped and uncomfortable for months.
Yeah, I think the air force would be best for you. Good luck.

Yea I also talked with an Army recruiter and I told him I use a moisturizer and that it's fine after I apply it and he said that should be fine. I heard the anthrax shot can produce a fatal result for people with eczema, any truth to that?

I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm fairly certain I had psoriasis on my elbows while I was AD as my elbows always seem to get dry skin on the elbows. I have had 8 anthrax shots and am still alive and semi-normal.

That being said, I have not heard that about anthrax but smallpox vaccination.

Smallpox vaccine: What are the risks if someone has eczema?

I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm fairly certain I had psoriasis on my elbows while I was AD as my elbows always seem to get dry skin on the elbows. I have had 8 anthrax shots and am still alive and semi-normal.

That being said, I have not heard that about anthrax but smallpox vaccination.

Smallpox vaccine: What are the risks if someone has eczema?
I heard they don't issue some vaccinations based on medical reasons, would that be the case for someone in my situation? Would they not give me the smallpox vaccination?

I heard they don't issue some vaccinations based on medical reasons, would that be the case for someone in my situation? Would they not give me the smallpox vaccination?

They do not give all the shots to everyone as evidenced by @NikNifSik above but for smallpox specific question I cannot answer that.

From my own experience when I tried to go to Marine Corps OCS in 2012 as part of PLC, I was medically disqualified because of psoriasis. I had a small patch visible on my forehead that would disappear with steroid cream but would come back short after I stopped medication. My waiver made it to the BUMED Chief and he rejected it. I wish you all the best on this one and hope you are accepted to service. As for me, I will just keep waiting for the next big war to kick off and they are desperate for a 0311 from the GWOT, much like many WW2 vets who were called back for Korea.

Back