Enlistment Options

Unsure if it will help, since it has been a long time since I was a recruiter, but I have a grandson presently on recruiting in KY and I can check with him about any questions anyone may have or I can give his info. He may be in another state but USAREC rules are the same nation wide.

Wanted to do an update on my last entry. I talked with my Grandson today, who is an Army Recruiter in KY. His reply about prior service coming in is this: Prior service can come in but with no guarantees. At present the Army feels they had their chance and got out. Now they take what ever the needs of the Army are. If they held an Infantry MOS when they got out they can probably get back into the infantry but that is it. Once in then they can submit packets for something else. Sorry troops.

It would be great if your grandson joined and got vetted.

Your vetting is underway, by the way.

I'll mention it to him. I asked him about mission numbers since the virus hit. He said the Army is the Army. They still want the same numbers regardless. Said they finally let them back into the stations but still can't enter MEPS.

It would be great if your grandson joined and got vetted.

Your vetting is underway, by the way.
Thanks. Once vet goes through would like to give a little history of those that started our service before NAM. When I went in the Corps we were "Selected" by the Corps for our jobs. When Recon was stood up in 58 both Force and the Bn were looked at about the same. We just went where sent. SEALs started in NAM from the UDT teams. Good friend of mine was UDT and said he went there to blow things up. Couldn't understand why he was doing ambushes. Went as UDT, left as Team 2. Rangers were separate companies in a Div. Any remember the original name of the SF Q course? Many never attended Q but given "S" to MOS by Grp. Any other old timers on.

Update: I'm going to meps later this week. The recruiters seemed to change their tune completely since the last time we talked and are willing to send me whether I sign or not. They said the Sgt. Major is on board and will do their best to get me that 11b option 40 or 4, and will make calls(whatever that means).

One last question for any Rangers in the know; is it still possible to volunteer for RASP at airborne if I was to get the option 4 instead of the option 40? I know things can change and especially with the covid situation with reduced class sizes.

Thanks all

Well I went to Meps and neither option 4 or 40 were available, and 18x is gone for the rest of the year. I didn't sign anything but will be going back in the nearish future. I've been given the option to reclass or choose a duty station. Would Fort Benning be the best bet if Rangers was my end goal, that is assuming my unit would even release me to attend RASP?

Well I went to Meps and neither option 4 or 40 were available, and 18x is gone for the rest of the year. I didn't sign anything but will be going back in the nearish future. I've been given the option to reclass or choose a duty station. Would Fort Benning be the best bet if Rangers was my end goal, that is assuming my unit would even release me to attend RASP?
was opt4/opt40 in general that was unavailable? or just for 11 series?

I'm not sure about other MOS's. I didn't ask because I only wanted 11B.

I had a similar situation as you, but mine is a bit dated. I tried to get a Ranger contract as prior service and was told it wasn’t available (due to the prior service). I ended up taking an airborne infantry contract, because everyone told me that I could volunteer for RIP (now RASP) in Airborne school, so I rolled the dice and chanced it. Fortunately it was accurate information and I ended up going from Airborne to Batt. It was as easy as “who wants to try out?” during airborne. I’d confirm with the newer guys that option still exists though.

I'm not sure about other MOS's. I didn't ask because I only wanted 11B.
I had a similar situation as you, but mine is a bit dated. I tried to get a Ranger contract as prior service and was told it wasn’t available (due to the prior service). I ended up taking an airborne infantry contract, because everyone told me that I could volunteer for RIP (now RASP) in Airborne school, so I rolled the dice and chanced it. Fortunately it was accurate information and I ended up going from Airborne to Batt. It was as easy as “who wants to try out?” during airborne. I’d confirm with the newer guys that option still exists though.
I don’t know how this works now that RASP is before Airborne school. I could ask my buddy who’s an instructor but he’s phase 2, so I doubt he has a lot of insight into the “in processing” and admin part of showing up to RASP.

I’m prior service and I’ll be headed to MEPS soon. I’ll let you know if anything has changed. I’m not sure if our business rules are the same because you are already in the guard, but I feel your pain about trying to get an option 40. I’ve already changed 1 station because the first one simply didn’t even want to bother.
I don’t know how this works now that RASP is before Airborne school. I could ask my buddy who’s an instructor but he’s phase 2, so I doubt he has a lot of insight into the “in processing” and admin part of showing up to RASP.
I’m in this predicament as well. I’m still waiting for MEPS to approve my medical stuff but seeing as the fiscal year is close to its end I doubt there will be hardly anything.

I did contact the Ranger liaison at Ft Benning, and he said that as long as one meets the administrative scores and PT requirements that they will have the chance to volunteer for RASP at OSUT.

I’m prior service and I’ll be headed to MEPS soon. I’ll let you know if anything has changed. I’m not sure if our business rules are the same because you are already in the guard, but I feel your pain about trying to get an option 40. I’ve already changed 1 station because the first one simply didn’t even want to bother.

I’m in this predicament as well. I’m still waiting for MEPS to approve my medical stuff but seeing as the fiscal year is close to its end I doubt there will be hardly anything.

I did contact the Ranger liaison at Ft Benning, and he said that as long as one meets the administrative scores and PT requirements that they will have the chance to volunteer for RASP at OSUT.
Yeah the problem is I'm already an 11b so no OSUT for me. Otherwise it would've been easier to get to RASP. Hopefully next time I go at least airborne is open but I doubt it. I contacted the Ranger Recruiters at Benning and they said that if I qualify for an Option 40 they could give me their UIC to take to MEPS to try to get to RASP that way. I have no idea what that means or how it would work but hopefully that works out. They said if that doesn't work I can apply after 6 months at my duty station, but if I become promotable I have to go to Ranger school before I can go to RASP. I told them qualified but I'm still waiting to hear back from them about the UIC thing.

Yeah the problem is I'm already an 11b so no OSUT for me. Otherwise it would've been easier to get to RASP. Hopefully next time I go at least airborne is open but I doubt it. I contacted the Ranger Recruiters at Benning and they said that if I qualify for an Option 40 they could give me their UIC to take to MEPS to try to get to RASP that way. I have no idea what that means or how it would work but hopefully that works out. They said if that doesn't work I can apply after 6 months at my duty station, but if I become promotable I have to go to Ranger school before I can go to RASP. I told them qualified but I'm still waiting to hear back from them about the UIC thing.

Okay I see. I hope and pray you can get into RASP. Maybe when fiscal year changes in September/October they’ll have fresh option 40s, or at the very least option 4s.

Okay I see. I hope and pray you can get into RASP. Maybe when fiscal year changes in September/October they’ll have fresh option 40s, or at the very least option 4s.

As guys have posted here before (RIP @Centermass) contracts can open all of the time. You may wait a week, you may wait a month or two, but even the fiscal year isn't the best benchmark.

Keep pushing, keep waiting (if you can), and the slots will open up. Just be ready in case the recruiter gives you a "option 40 right now, but can you leave in a week" type call.

Back