EOD officer

JRock

Unverified
I have a very specific case that I am hoping to get some help with. I'm a Nuke MM1 trying to cross to EOD officer. The Navy doesn't do much in the way of supporting this endeavor. My NEC is not listed in OPNAVINST 1420.1B to allow me to apply for EOD officer in STA-21, so thats out. I tried to apply for the CORE option in STA-21 thinking that I may be able to cross after being commissioned and found out that Naval Reactors will not allow Nuke program sailors to do any STA-21 program except Nuke officer. My package was thrown out before it even made it to the CO. I am already trying to make progress toward my degree (i have a little under 2 years left) and go to OCS for EOD and I'm on shore duty right now, but the Nuke program pace is tough for trying to train, take college classes, and work (7 days on, 2 days off on rotating shift work). I'm trying to find out if there is any way to get around any of the STA-21 red tape or any other programs I may not have discovered that could facilitate me getting a degree and a commission. Something that would send me to college and get me out of the nuke community so that I can finish the degree and get into the field without waiting 2 years to finish this degree while working and then only having one or two opportunities to apply for OCS before I start butting up against the age limit. I've done a lot of leg work on this in the last year but I keep getting pushed back towards OCS as the only option. I'd appreciate any input anyone has. I also may have some interest in other programs in special warfare community as an alternative, but with the technical knowledge I already have, EOD is the best fit I believe.

I'm former Army EOD, so I can't offer too much advice with the Navy gobbledegook. Sounds to me like you're stuck, though. You've got to train hard to be in shape for dive school, which would take time away from something.

You've got to have patience. It's the hallmark of a good tech. Get your degree, then worry about crossing over. I don't know how full up the Navy is, but Army EOD is overstaffed. That could be part of your problem right there: an overstrength situation. The DoD is going to be in flux for a bit. Wait and see how it pans out.

Not what you wanted to hear, but it's a possibility.

From what I've seen regarding people getting picked up by STA-21 for anything other than Nuke or SWO, it's onesies-twosies every year. It also sucks that Nukes don't like letting go of their guys.
Agree with RK above. Focus on knocking out credits towards your degree.
How old are you?
What's your EAOS date?

ETA: EOD falls under Special Operations for us, so I doubt it's ever overmanned.

From what I've seen regarding people getting picked up by STA-21 for anything other than Nuke or SWO, it's onesies-twosies every year. It also sucks that Nukes don't like letting go of their guys.
Agree with RK above. Focus on knocking out credits towards your degree.
How old are you?
What's your EAOS date?

ETA: EOD falls under Special Operations for us, so I doubt it's ever overmanned.

I'm 26
EAOS is November 2015

So, a little under 24 months left for your degree. Right at 24 months until your contract is up.
I hate waiting (very much into instant gratification, to a fault sometimes), but it seems like everything might line up very nicely for you 2 years from now. That will give you plenty of time to learn how to swim. ;-):D

I have to give the Navy credit, it knows how to crush dreams.

JRock, short of some type of ROTC option (if one even exists), I'm thinking degree and OCS is about your only shot. They've managed to pigeonhole you.

Go Enlisted EOD first to get your foot in the door and get some experience. You can apply for an age waiver for the STA-21 thing once you are an EOD tech. The age is waiverable (for EOD and SPECWAR) as long as you can commission by age 35.

Go Enlisted EOD first to get your foot in the door and get some experience. You can apply for an age waiver for the STA-21 thing once you are an EOD tech. The age is waiverable (for EOD and SPECWAR) as long as you can commission by age 35.

Can't cross out of Nuke. Its locked up. Since we're undermanned they won't let us leave.

Totally unrelated to the question...it's amazing how different this OP is from the last few who had to do with nearly the same subject. Imagine that, a first-class (USN E6) writes a well thought out thread, explains the research he's already done on his own, asks for help and gets it.
Thank you for restoring just a bit of my faith in humanity. :thumbsup:
I seriously hope something works out for you.

Back