"Experienced" C-47 Comes Home

AWP

SOF Support
I just found out the other day there's a version they made at the end of WW2 with turboprops (I didn't realise turboprops were around then) for Arctic missions and whatnot. Turns out there's one still working in the UK, which I thought was cool.

SpitfireV, that sounds like the BT-67:
http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt_67_overview.html

We no longer have one assigned to us, but still maintain currency on the BT-67 through other sources and advise nations that use it.
6thsos.jpg

Yes that's the one! Amazing what they can do to breathe new life into an aircraft sometimes. Actually I was wrong when I said they were built in WW2, what I had read was that the aircraft was first registered (the particular one of discussion) in 1943, it didn't click it was a conversion.

Yes that's the one! Amazing what they can do to breathe new life into an aircraft sometimes. Actually I was wrong when I said they were built in WW2, what I had read was that the aircraft was first registered (the particular one of discussion) in 1943, it didn't click it was a conversion.
Registered as a Civillian Acft? or a turbo-prop?

Presumably as a Mil AC since it was the war and all but I'm not sure (registered probably isn't quite the most accurate word for it if it's mil but meh).

good post Free... I'cve always been a fan of the DC-3/C47... they're just cool.
Agreed, just a grand airframe. This grand old air frame has seen multiple configurations, including a pretty mean gun configuration. The only thing close is the C-130, another workhorse.

RF 1

Ah, DC-3Ms and C-130's were the only thng flying when the volcano blew and shut down the airport in Anchorage. Somewhere I have a pic of an old military DC-3 and a brand new Navy 737 side by side from when I worked at the airport. Kinda cool to see the old and then new, and then look over and see AWACs

Back