FAA ATC to CCT

JARadar

Unverified
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in becoming a CCT in the Reserves. I currently am employed as an Air Traffic controller for the FAA. I have a few questions. Will all of my ATC certificates transfer to the CCT criteria? Would I still need to attend the air traffic control tech school or would I bypass that school? thank you for your time.

If you're looking at going Guard, then just contact whichever STS you want to join and ask them.

New guy here. I did my intro post and am in the process of being verified. I served in the USAF as an Air Traffic Controller. The Air Traffic portion of the CCT pipeline is the same school that us regular guys and gals went through outside of the insane pt the trainees do. With that being said your FFA certs will carry over for the Air Force requirements. I have had 2 friends attempt to cross train from ATC to CCT. The first one skipped the ATC portion of the pipeline because he was able to pass the end of course PT test for the trainees. The second one was not able to pass the end of course PT test and went through the ATC course again. In the end both of them washed at Combay Control School.

My personal recommendation would be to not skip the ATC course because you will miss out on alot of physical conditioning and bonding with your teamates. Either way best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

@ATC87, you were doing fine until you started offering recommendations for how he should accomplish the pipeline. Stay in your lane.

@ATC87, If you don't mind me asking, what does the end of course PT test consist of? Thank you.

@CDG thank you, I will get in contact with the STS.

I have no clue what the PT requirements are because I didn't go through the pipeline. Just knew 2 AF ATC who made it to Combat Control School. One skiped the ATC course and the other went back through it. I haven't heard from the one who went back through the class in a few years. If you did go back through the course the classroom portion is very basic ie category seperation, wake turbulence etc. The simulators consist on a made up airforce base with 2 parallel runways. You only use one of them. The tower sims are basic with the only thing an FFA ATC might need to look over is sequencing fighters in the overhead pattern. The RADAR sims are also basic with 1 MOA and some arrivals conducting a High ILS approach. In the end when it comes to sequencing in the High ILS don't break them out and you will be fine. I know a few of the ATC school house intructors and can email them and ask them from their perspective on what they would have a FFA CPC do in the classroom if you do end up there.

If you are a CCT with to a National Guard Unit, can you be attached to a local Marine Corps Recon battalion as a permanent assignment?

If you are a CCT with to a National Guard Unit, can you be attached to a local Marine Corps Recon battalion as a permanent assignment?
What? Why would the Air Force do that- spend years and millions of dollars to assign you to a different unit (Recon) for a stateside permanent assignment?

Even assuming you know nothing, does that make ANY sense?

No.

And some future advice, do some homework on things beforehand. If you had taken the time to do that, you'd realize how ludicrous a question that was, considering there's only 2 Air Guard STS locations, neither of which are anywhere remotely near a Marine Recon unit. By the sound of it, you need to do some more research on CCT and what they actually do, as well as who they do it with.

Pardon my ignorance. I did not ask the question without reason. That was my first though exactly when I was given an information packet regarding CCT pipeline. It stated that CCT can be attached to different units (SEAL, recon, etc). Since I was unfamiliar with the unit structures including the 123rd and 125th STS, I was unsure if these were permanent duty stations, or if the attachments were just on deployments. Thank you for the information.

Back