Force Recon - MRF

Ravage

running up that hill

BAHRAIN (April 07, 2012) - Marines with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit's maritime raid force conduct an enhanced visit board search and seizure training at a U.S. Coast Guard facility here April 7. Loud music is played within the facility to increase stress levels in the Marines and intensify the training. The MRF is the maritime interdiction element for the MEU, currently deployed as part of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (MKIARG). The group is a U.S. Central Command theater reserve force. The group is also providing support for maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts in the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet area of responsibility. (U.S. Marine motion media by Gunnery Sgt. Chance W. Haworth/RELEASED)

I have a question: are the Force Recon Companies becoming more and more engaged in Maritime Interdiction Operations? I always thought that it was SPECWARs jurisdiction.

I don't beleive it's there jurisdiction don't quote me on that but I believe it's who ever is more readily available. Force can be out conducting operations from the MEU making them not at full strength so if there's a SEAL team on board that aren't out on mission they would go. If a SEAL Teams isn't at it's full operational capacity I don't see why they would go out instead of Force and as far as doing more VBSS missions a lot of guys are pulling out of Afghanistan so thats changing the mission of the marine corps into a different focus.

Rav - In the research I did for the novel I'm finishing, at least platform interdiction is indeed one of the missions FR trains for. Remember, the Marines are the boots on the ground arm of the Navy. (Yeah OK there IS the amphib guys too) Will one of you Devil Dogs please confirm?

Back