Forgotten SWCS History and the SF Mission

DZ

Special Forces
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
The Baldwin Files - Forgotten SWCS History

Interesting article posted on SSD by LTC (ret.) Terry Baldwin. It is very eye opening to see how easily an organization that is forged and rooted in combat could be morphed into something so drastically different by a few bad apples at the top.

Forgetting our history is very dangerous. We have always been, and should always be a combat force.

I hope our Regiments history is not forsaken by our leadership under the guise of "relevance" ever again.

This is a great article. It has sometimes been difficult to find what the true SF mission is for someone like me who is not in the military. UW is the answer when I have looked it up, but it seems different SF guys have varying ideas on what that encompasses. It seems that some only want to focus on the warrior part, and then some focus on only the diplomat part. Would I be correct in saying that to be proficient UW ultimately requires proficiency in a wide array of SOF capabilities? If one diminishes their capabilities in things like DA or SR it in turn diminishes the capability to do it "by, with, and through" the partner force. I hope I am getting this right. I am going to get an 18x contract and I want to make sure I understand the mission better. Thanks for the post.

The Baldwin Files - Forgotten SWCS History

Interesting article posted on SSD by LTC (ret.) Terry Baldwin. It is very eye opening to see how easily an organization that is forged and rooted in combat could be morphed into something so drastically different by a few bad apples at the top.

Forgetting our history is very dangerous. We have always been, and should always be a combat force.

I hope our Regiments history is not forsaken by our leadership under the guise of "relevance" ever again.
LOL, I know which group Cdr he refers too.
1995-96 was when he started bad mouthin UW.

Interesting Q-Course comments after the article.

The comments are always entertaining to read. A lot of shit talking other SOF units. "My unit is the best, and we think yours is a joke and immature." Sounds like a mature thing to say, right?

As for the Q course comments, I have mixed feelings about the changes coming down the pipe, but what do I know..

To answer EqualReaction, UW is an extremely complex and difficult mission set. Yes it requires proficiency in a wide range of tasks, but UW is more than operating "by, with, or through" a partner force. If you want to know what UW is, look up the definition of UW under US military doctrine, and look up the 7 phases of UW and what they mean.

Back