Former Green Beret - Jan 6 Protest New Charges

BloodStripe

Marine
SOF Support
SSMP
Military Mentor
This thread is not for discussing the events of Jan 6 2021, but rather to discuss the newest charge against Jeremy Brown. Apparently he felt it was okay to keep classified material long after he was out. Retired soldier charged in Capitol riot held secret military documents, feds say

Pretty sure he kept these documents as a memento of his operations. I’m sure he isn’t alone.

“One document is listed in the indictment as a “threat frequency report” of a “combined explosives exploitation cell” in Afghanistan. Another is labeled as an incident report related to an improvised explosive device. A third bears the title “Spider Device Testing Procedures and Results.” The fourth is labeled as a “fragmentary order.””

I mean, sometimes things will happen. The key thing is what that person does when they realise- and he should have realised at some point. Even if you don't have access to secure disposal after your service you can make an attempt to destroy it in some way.

I mean, sometimes things will happen. The key thing is what that person does when they realise- and he should have realised at some point. Even if you don't have access to secure disposal after your service you can make an attempt to destroy it in some way.
Some individuals, especially in SOF, had a very cavalier attitude about classified information. Not saying it's right, just that it happened. A lot of times they don't want to destroy it, they want to keep it in perpetuity for whatever reason.

Some individuals, especially in SOF, had a very cavalier attitude about classified information. Not saying it's right, just that it happened. A lot of times they don't want to destroy it, they want to keep it in perpetuity for whatever reason.

I suppose it's a case of "look at this cool document I have, it's cool because it's been classified."

I carried around a notepad at my last job for...notes. Phone numbers, dates, IP addresses, computer names, whatever.

Yep...aggregation.

Ordinarily it didn't matter because it was either with me or in our facility, but...2, maybe 3 times I took it home without thinking.

I'm not saying dude was right or wrong, but a LOT of us have taken classified "work" out of our facilities. It is easier than people realize and why you have to evaluate each case individually.

It’s not a not picky thing though. Rules are rules. Just because you are SOF or participated in some raid/op doesn’t mean you get to pick and choose which ones to break.

I think the aggregation piece is a separate convo to have vs blatantly storing something that says SECRET.

It’s not a not picky thing though. Rules are rules. Just because you are SOF or participated in some raid/op doesn’t mean you get to pick and choose which ones to break.

I think the aggregation piece is a separate convo to have vs blatantly storing something that says SECRET.
Do the rules apply if you are Secretary of State?

Do the rules apply if you are Secretary of State?

iu

At least according to a former JSOC J2/DIA Director.
I kept a lot of stuff in my SCIF pocket that I probably shouldn't have when I was downrange. I think many if not most SOF veterans knowingly or unknowingly brought home info that was classified.

I had to explain something similar during an interview a few years ago. I didn't feel like I had secure alternatives. Identifying how to avoid these "mistakes" in the future though is a crucial part of that process.

Another factor here is the sheer amount of things arbitrarily classified. By default anything that happens or is stored in a secure area, whether a SCIF or an area designated at a certain classification level, is treated as classified at that level unless it is formally downgraded, which virtually never happens. There is probably a log entry marked as secret/noforn somewhere that "@compforce brought an italian sub into the J6 secure area". Does that make the information that I ate an italian sub on a certain date in a certain place classified? Should it? If I take the receipt for that sub home, did I commit a crime?

If I send emails containing TS/TK intel information across an unsecure network then fry me. If I have something that has no value to anyone, but happens to have a classification then common sense has to be applied. edit - unless said item has been formally classified

As soon as they hired Hollyweird to produce the propaganda, it went off the rails.

The testimony yesterday was pretty crazy. Idk what impact Hollywood had in it. But it was crazy to hear a sitting President advocated for armed people to March on the capitol to restore him to power after a lawful election.

It’s probably all hearsay.

Back