General Patton murdered, new book claims

whiterose

I love fairyangels
Unverified
Controversial General Patton was murdered to cover up secret deal between U.S. and U.S.S.R., new book claims

George Patton, the most successful American general in the Second World War, was murdered on the orders of the U.S. Army top brass, a book has alleged.

Patton was threatening to shame U.S. leaders by revealing a secret deal between America and the Soviet Union that cost 19,000 GI lives, it is claimed.

Military historian Robert Wilcox spent ten years investigating Patton's death on December 21, 1945 - 63 years ago yesterday - following a car crash in Mannheim, Germany, 12 days earlier.

A U.S army truck collided head-on with Patton's Cadillac.

The vehicles were doing less than 20mph and the other occupants were uninjured, but Patton broke his neck and died in hospital of a blood clot.

The general, who revelled in his nickname of Old Blood and Guts, was famously portrayed by George C Scott in the Oscar-winning 1970 film, Patton.

His outspoken hatred of the Soviets led to him being sidelined as the war drew to a close.

Mr Wilcox writes that Patton was threatening to quit the Army and denounce Supreme Allied Commander, General Dwight D Eisenhower, once his junior and close friend, who he believed had made a deal with the Soviets to stop him racing them to Berlin.

This left hundreds of thousands of German troops free to escape to kill U.S troops in the Battle of the Bulge, and let the Russians take Eastern Europe.

Actor George C. Scott played the general in the 1970 film Patton

Mr Wilcox says General 'Wild Bill' Donovan, boss of the Office of Strategic Service - forerunner of the CIA - ordered assassin Douglas Bazata to kill Patton.

The historian interviewed Bazata, who died in 1999, and was granted access to his diaries.

In his book, Target Patton, Mr Wilcox cites diary entries which apparently reveal that Bazata arranged for the lorry to plough into Patton's car, then broke his neck with a rubber-bullet gun.

Bazata said that when the general began to recover, U.S. officials turned a blind eye as Russian agents poisoned him. No autopsy was performed.

Mr Wilcox said: 'Bazata confessed to me that he had caused Patton's accident.

'Patton wanted to go to war with the Russians. The administration thought he was nuts.

'He also knew secrets of the war which would have ruined careers. I don't think Dwight Eisenhower would ever have been elected president if Patton had lived to say the things he wanted to say.'

Well it's no secret a deal was done to give the Russians Berlin while The allies went south.

I'd like to know what the evidence there is about the claims by the 'assassin', i.e. was the confession recorded and what corroborating evidence there is to back that up.
Also what is in the KGB files about this.
Because they will definitely have it in their files if they were involved and killed Patton.

I'm very skeptical about this...

This is one of the craziest things that I have ever heard. Using a rubber bullet to break his neck? Russian agents poisoning him?

Where is my tin foil......

I can definitely see this being within the realm of possibility... Especially Russian agents poisoning him (*cough* Polonium poisoning in London recently).

History is written by the victors, and Patton was vocally unhappy about the outcome of WW2.

Back