Great Organizations Useful to the Servicemember

frostyred

Army HUMINT
Verified Military
I've come across some things throughout my illustrious Googling career that may be of use, and seeing as I didn't see a thread containing SM-specific organizations/tools, I figure why not start one here? Maybe we post all the things we found useful for the benefit of the board?

Dogs on Deployment is a non-profit ran outta Southern California that links up SM that need boarding for their pets (I've seen them be able to take reptiles, birds, cats, dogs... seems like they're able to accommodate a lot) with a network of people who volunteer and are tracked via the organization to board them. If you're a single guy like me, this is a godsend. I had to go to a school in October and within a week of posting on the site, I found a really great family who took really good care of my adorable, dumb pitbull. There's some rules to it, but it's a really good organization, and been really helpful to the co-workers and friends I've recommended it to.

Help Military Pet Owners

This is a good idea, and it's especially apt for my family now that we're in the market for a dog... and we're having trouble getting agencies to let us adopt from them here in NY because 1) we're in the military and 2) we live on post.

This is a good idea, and it's especially apt for my family now that we're in the market for a dog... and we're having trouble getting agencies to let us adopt from them here in NY because 1) we're in the military and 2) we live on post.
I got probably at least 5 messages from people I hadn't contacted within a week, and most all replied to me within a few days. It's very useful, and I got lucky with the family I went with because they ended up telling me they'd also be willing to watch him occasionally when it was not a service-related commitment (and gave me fresh venison, so that was a nice bonus lol)

Could we get a mod to change the title of the thread from, “SM” to service member? I might be an idiot but I hate acronyms and SM wasn’t obvious to me until I had read through this. By the way, I’m a huge fan of the link provided and the idea of the thread @frostyred
Did it myself.

Back