Greatly considering enlisting

Mike_c

Unverified
Hello I'm currently a senior in highschool and I considering to enlist rather than going to college first and attending the rotc program. I have the grades and all to get into college but in my honest opinion I feel like I need to grow and learn or become a better person because of this reason I feel like I shouldnt jump into becoming an officer just yet. I also believe in order to become a better leader it would be good to have some experience and understand what it's like to be enlisted. It would be a great help if someone would shed some light on why I should or shouldnt enlist first. Furthermore sorry if this post was really long.

There is absolutely no requirement to be enlisted first to be a better leader. Yes some very good officers have come through the ranks, but also some very average officers have trod that path too. Many outstanding leaders have gone straight into the job and haven't skipped a beat.

You'll get plenty of opportunities to grow and develop yourself as a better person at ROTC.

Thank you for the the words of wisdom. I'm still giving it thought. I'll probably make my decision when I turn 18 in September. Thanks again

It really depends on what you want to do. Either route you choose will help develop you as a person and as a leader. I concur with digrar above. There are plenty of opportunities via college and the ROTC program to develop yourself. If you are wanting to walk the path of an officer, I would recommend doing college first and then going in. Good luck in whatever path you choose!

If you don't mind me asking why would it be good to become an officer as soon as possible. Thanks for responding.

Several reasons:
1. Officer careers can be very finite. It is extremely competitive once you're in and there's no guarantee you'll be able to stay in until retirement if that's what you end up wanting. If you get served your walking papers, you'll be young enough that starting a new career won't be nearly as traumatic.

2. If you have the innate leadership qualities needed to be a good officer, being an prior NCO isn't going to give you a leg up over your peers. NCO priorities are way different than officer priorities. Unless you just lack maturity, being a prior NCO might help you with certain scenarios like the unlikely event that all of your NCOs under you just suck. If you revert back to NCO mode to set them straight, that takes you away from the officer things you should be focused on.

--
For myself, the officer vs enlisted career decision boils down to this: Are you going get more job satisfaction from doing things hands on? Will you be better off maybe not having as much "fun" as the guys, but are willing to take on a much greater level of responsibility than (most) enlisted, while also having a much better quality of life for you and your family? We need good officers, and they are much harder to find.

I see what your saying and I heard about the need for good officers. Thanks for explaining though I really appreciate. Like I said before I'm going to give it a good thought about it. Thanks again!

@Mike_c, I am glad you have taken interest in becoming a Soldier in today's US Army. Do you have any idea what you would like to do, when you do join the Army?

Back