Green Berets Recount Deadly Taliban Ambush

Thanks out to all who appreciate the military as a whole. :cool:

Brendan gets pinned/Ceremony tomorrow. ;)

Hopefully an upgrade is in order. He deserves it. :)

I had the pleasure of serving with Brendan O'Connor when he was a Team Leader in 11th SF Group back in the 90s. He was a Great American then and he's certainly one now.

How does one codify the totality of skill, courage, guile, and inner strength demonstrated by each of the men of that ODA, much less when considered in the aggregate? Man for man, pound for pound, SFODAs are the best fighting units in the world.

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2008/May/080501-01.html

Special Forces Soldier is awarded the second highest medal for combat

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, April 30, 2008) – A 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Soldier was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross during a ceremony at Bank Hall, Fort Bragg, N.C., April 30 for valorous actions during Operation Enduring Freedom.

On his 20th year of military service, Master Sgt. Brendan O’Connor, formerly a senior medic on a 2nd Battalion, 7th SFG (A) Operational Detachment Alpha, was presented the award while he stood before family, friends, and fellow Soldiers.

“For the men who were with him that day, Master Sergeant O’Connor is a savior,” said Adm. Eric T. Olson, commander of United States Special Operations Command, who presented the award to O’Connor. “For all Americans, he is a hero, and for all members of special operations across the services, he is a source of enormous pride.”

O’Connor was instrumental in keeping his team alive during an intense battle with over 250 Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan on June 22, 2006. While making a temporary stop during a patrol, his team and their attached Afghan National Army soldiers were attacked from all sides with small arms fire, heavy machine guns, rocket propelled grenades, recoilless rifles and mortars.

During the 17 1/2 hours of sustained combat that followed, O’Connor and his team fought of wave after wave of Taliban attackers from a group of small compounds, fighting for their lives against insurgents who were intent on killing or capturing the beleaguered defenders. Much of the combat was so close that the defenders of the compounds could hear cursing and taunting from the enemies who swarmed the perimeter.

After hearing two Soldiers were wounded at another location, O’Connor removed his body armor and low-crawled under heavy machine gun fire to treat and extract his wounded comrades. O’Connor then carried a wounded Soldier back to a safer area, again passing through intense fire. One teammate commented that as he was crawling, machine gun fire “mowed the grass” around him.

“I don’t think that what I did was particularly, brave,” said O’Connor. “My friend needed help and I had the opportunity to help him, so I did. I think I’m lucky to get this sort of recognition; there are so many other Soldiers who do similarly brave things overseas and are happy with just a pat on the back when they get home.”

O’Connor is the second Soldier to be awarded the DSC for actions taken in Operation Enduring Freedom. The first was a 5th Special Forces Group Soldier, Maj. Mark Mitchell in 2003. Before Mitchell there had been none since the Vietnam War. The DSC is the second highest award for valor, surpassed only by the Medal of Honor.

“I’ve never been more honored, but this medal belongs to my whole team,” said O’Connor. “Every member was watching out for the other, inspiring each other, and for some, sacrificing for each other. We all fought hard, and it could just as easily be any one of them standing up here getting it pinned on; every one of them is a hero.”

dsc201df7.jpg

HiRes
Master Sgt. Brendan O’Connor, formerly a senior medic on a 2nd Battalion, 7th SFG (A) Operational Detachment Alpha, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross during a ceremony at Bank Hall, Fort Bragg, N.C., April 30 for valorous actions during Operation Enduring Freedom. (Photo by Sgt. Daniel Love, USASOC News Service)
dsc202nv6.jpg

HiRes
Master Sgt. Brendan O’Connor, right, 7th SFG (A) Operational Detachment Alpha, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross during a ceremony by Adm. Eric T. Olson, commander of United States Special Operations Command, at Bank Hall, Fort Bragg, N.C., April 30 for valorous actions during Operation Enduring Freedom. (Photo by Sgt. Daniel Love, USASOC News Service)

DSC Ceremony

Razor...please give us an AAR when you get back.

Brendan came by the hotel to say hi yesterday......I've know Brendan for a few years, he actually came by to say hi to Harry and I.....

I'll look for the vid of the ceremony....all kinds of news stations were there.

H2 and I had front row...H2's in a wheelchair and the coordinations for us to enter were extraordinary and we had our own lil PSD to get us in...

I'll write more and post pics tomorrow after 'clean-up'.....but here's what stands out about the 'awardee'....

When Brendan came to the hotel, his first statement to us was....

'D, that was just another day at work. I did something stupid (de-kit) and they gave me a medal for it'.....A testament to the man... a true QP... :cool:

pics forthcoming....but here's a few..(H2 is in the foreground)

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/album.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1058

Medic gets Distinguished Service Cross

By Henry Cuningham
Military editor

Staff photo by Raul R. Rubiera
Master Sgt. Brendan O’Connor wears the Distinguished Service Cross during an award ceremony Wednesday.

Master Sgt. Brendan O’Connor on Wednesday received the Distinguished Service Cross, the Army’s second-highest valor award, for his actions during a 17-hour battle in Afghanistan.

The 47-year-old Special Forces medical sergeant spoke with humor and humility after the medal was pinned on his uniform in a ceremony at Bank Hall on Fort Bragg.

“My word!” O’Connor said, reacting to praise by a three-star Army general and a four-star Navy admiral. “My name is Brendan O’Connor, and I didn’t fully approve that message.”

In his self-effacing remarks, O’Connor apologized to his children for missing birthdays and thanked his wife, Margaret, for what she has done in raising their family in his absence.

Margaret O’Connor writes a Home Front column for The Fayetteville Observer.

Master Sgt. O’Connor, who resigned his commission as an officer and then took the rigorous training to become a Special Forces medical sergeant, said his “momentary courage” pales in comparison to people who cope courageously with difficult situations daily, such as Capt. Ivan Castro, who is blind, and Harry Hubbard, a friend who suffered a stroke in his mid-30s.

The audience included former U.S. Rep. Joseph Kennedy, a friend of the O’Connor family, and former 7th Group commanders.

The heroism of O’Connor and his team in the face of an attack by 300 Taliban fighters received national attention April 20 in a segment on the CBS news show “60 Minutes.”

Adm. Eric Olson, the commander of U.S. Special Operations Command at Tampa, Fla., pinned the award on O’Connor’s uniform.

Video:

Back