Green Platoon

nice video. I've got a close buddy that used to be an instructor there. Very knowledgable and humble. Great bunch.

"Basic Army stuff. That's all you need."

I can only imagine the huge dividends GP pays for 160th. Wish my unit now had something similar for our newbies.

Just seeing the logs again makes me tired.

That's an old video. Some stuff has changed, i.e. the combatives section. Now its MACP level 1, and you don't hit back on clinch day. Must be the old program. . .

I see Black Day is a continuously changing event. Nice to see how it's progressed from what it was then - never saw that video before.

Never knew they had a selection that intense

My class had a 42% attrition rate, which was kind of high (usually is 35-40% in recent history), but it used to be much higher before the Regiment was expanding. I attribute the higher rate to new cadre . . . but it was excellent training.

Since then, we lost about 10-15% more from my class, being here at the unit.

"Everybody deserves a chance to be a Nightstalker, but not everybody should be, and many of you won't be."

In the book "Night Stalkers"

139372.jpg

they wrote that most of the times the attrition rate is small, but since you were there and not me I'll take your word for it :D

Enlisted attrition is always higher than officer attrition - they are separate classes - our sister officer class didn't lose one guy. Come in as a pilot and you'll miss it; go enlisted and you'll see exactly what I mean. Once you're in the unit, go back through and look at the classes.

If you're a pilot, your biggest initial challenge is your flight assessment.

Amuses me every time I see it, one of those candidates in the video is an old colleague of mine from when we worked in 1st SWTG(A).

The instructor giving the class on how to shoot the M9, was my 1SG in Korea, Great guy...

So much to earn the Night Stalker maroon beret.

You don't need to graduate Green Platoon to get your beret, its a unit/USASOC assignment thing. I was out with 4/160th at a range and they had a handful of guys that had not been through Green Platoon, mainly fresh meat awaiting class dates.

Some discussion on berets and USASOC:
https://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10050

You don't need to graduate Green Platoon to get your beret, its a unit/USASOC assignment thing. I was out with 4/160th at a range and they had a handful of guys that had not been through Green Platoon, mainly fresh meat awaiting class dates.

Some discussion on berets and USASOC:
https://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10050

You are correct, i had many friends in 3rd Batt that have never gone through Green platoon. Most of the 3rd batt soldiers eventually went through GP though some of the guys had been in the unit for years prior.

I don't know what it was like in the other battalions, but in mine we weren't allowed to wear the beret until we were done with Green Platoon.

Back