Gurkha Fights Off 30 Taliban; Honored w/ Gallantry Cross

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
400 rounds and half a dozen grenades, at one point even engaging in close combat using a tripod to crack one in the head.

The Gurkha continue to bring honor to their unit.
With rocket propelled grenades and gun fire flying over his head from all directions he defended the position for more than 15 minutes, killing three Taliban and forcing the others to flee.

At one point the diminutive soldier turned around to see a “huge” Taliban fighter approaching him on the rooftop, a few feet away, having silently scaled the wall, and shot him.

While the mass of Taliban fired from an area of open ground, another crept into the compound and tried to climb the wall but he spotted him.

“I tried to fire my SA80 but it wouldn’t work,” he said.

“I don’t know if there was an obstruction or the magazine was finished.

“I threw my SA80 down and grabbed a sandbag but it wasn’t tied and all the sand dropped out.
“As I tried to jump into the sentry post I found a metal rod from the GPMG (machine gun) tripod and pulled it round and hit him.”

As he ran towards the Taliban fighter he gave a shout of “Marchu Talai” Nepalese for “I’m going to kill you”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-honoured-for-lone-fight-against-Taliban.html

-250 rounds of machinegun ammunition
-180 rounds of rifle ammunition
-six phosphorus grenades
-six high explosive grenades
-five underslung grenades
-one claymore
-machine gun tripod

What a stud

His pedigree doesn't surprise me.
He is the third generation of his family to be decorated for bravery after his father Purna, an Indian Gurkha, and his grandfather.

Pound for pound, some of the toughest, most courageous sons a bitches ever.

Their tenacity is why their legend also extends to the Himalayas and beyond.

Well done Sergeant Pun.

Thats pretty cool, having carried one of those tripods once or twice they are not light and you would really need a dark heart to pick one up and start stoving heads in with it.

I'm just trying to picture the guy, given he's a munchkin, carrying all that lot to start with.

Thats pretty cool, having carried one of those tripods once or twice they are not light and you would really need a dark heart to pick one up and start stoving heads in with it.

Anyone that picks up an SF tripod with the intent to smash heads is an absolute boss.

He was on the news after recieving his medal and his exact words were "I simply thought, before they kill me I have to kill some of them"

Absolute beast.

Gurkha's are amazingly tenacious and fearless bastards, well done SGT!

I am a little curious about one thing though... Where was his Kukri?

I met a bunch of them at the airport last year, nice blokes. Little.

This story is a great example of how size doesn't mean shit.

I served with an ex Brit Para, he told me they terrorized every other Soldier in the Brit Army at every opportunity.
With the exception of the Gurkhas, he said they would come into the bar wearing ties and their best clothes while everyone else looked liked bums, everyone would leave them alone and be polite to them.
Not from fear but respect.
He was a mortarman and said the Gurkha's were the only ones who could match their speed which from him was a huge compliment.
Gurkhas did look funny when they where issued SLRs (FN's) as the rifle was 3/4 of their size lol

Back