GYSGT Richard Schindler, USMC (Ret.)

Deputy Richard Schindler

Richard Schindler was a great friend of mine. I spent somewhere near 900 hours with him in the 174th Riverside County Deputy Sheriff Academy. It is amazing the people you take for granted in your lifetime. I was showered with knowledge and insight when getting to know Richard. I was brought to my knees on that tragic saturday afternoon when I learned of Richard's death... I pray for his family each and every day. I know his wife Satsuko will be strong for both of their boys and herself after witnessing her strength at his memorial yesterday. Richard's memorial was absolutely amazing, anyone who knew Richard knew that his passion in life were his two son's, his wife and then skydiving... His wife had never been convinced to skydive though. Yesterday at his memrial skydive she completed her first and last jump of her lifetime. Richard would have been so proud. The person she tandemed with had Richards ashes in his sleeve and they spread them as they descended to this earth that Richard now watches over with that stern look of his... Your always in my heart and mind "Shindig"... Love you Bro...

I'm sorry for your loss, jamesdean.

Shindig's death has rocked the skydiving comunity. We're all waiting on the results of the investigation. With most fatalities there is an obvious cause of death, not so in this case.

BSBD.

It would appear that like most if not all fatalities a series of events led up to the incident.

Without a long drawn out explanation the harness, container, and reserve were fine; no rigging or hardware issues were found. The reserve handle was more or less behind him and his camera wings interfered with the reserve ripcord.

I shall rethink my emergency procedures.

Blue Skies, Shindig.

Update to Richard Schindler's Family.

I have not spoken with Richard's wife directly though I have heard she is doing okay given the circumstances. The most amazing thing has happened though. The academy class #175, which was our junior class while in the Academy, decided to save the majority of their money from their class account and donate it to Richard's Wife and two son's. The original plan was to raise approximately $1,000 to $2,000. The final count was made a few days ago after doing a fundraiser where the class was allowed to shoot two academy instuctors with a taser gun. Their class raised an astounding $10,500 for his family!!! Absolutely amazing.... I just wanted to inform everyone on here of that wonderful news. Keep his family in your prayers. Take care for now...

I have not spoken with Richard's wife directly though I have heard she is doing okay given the circumstances. The most amazing thing has happened though. The academy class #175, which was our junior class while in the Academy, decided to save the majority of their money from their class account and donate it to Richard's Wife and two son's. The original plan was to raise approximately $1,000 to $2,000. The final count was made a few days ago after doing a fundraiser where the class was allowed to shoot two academy instuctors with a taser gun. Their class raised an astounding $10,500 for his family!!! Absolutely amazing.... I just wanted to inform everyone on here of that wonderful news. Keep his family in your prayers. Take care for now...

Bravo Zulu...that is awesome!

Back