.Helo Crash at Eglin AFB

Those Marines and soldiers have been heavy on mind, thoughts and prayers to the families. Both in blood and in brotherhood.

So we're releasing names before the notifications are complete? I guess that's one way to do it...

My buddy SSGT Seif was onboard that black hawk. Just when life was coming along this happens, he got the Silver Star last Friday and found out that he was having a baby Monday, then Tuesday the black hawk crashed. I'm so heart broken, miss you brother! Fair Winds and Following Seas buddy, until we meet again!

Just a follow up to this story...

As is typically the case with accidents such as this, the UH-60 crash was ruled pilot error. Both pilots were very experienced, high hour (thousands of hours each) pilots that, within 2 min 05 sec of launching into IMC, fell victim to spatial disorientation, resulting loss of control of the airplane.

Sadly, this accident will provide lessons in leadership and attitude. The mission CC was reportedly an aggressive, hard charger who was generally held in high esteem by those in his unit, and even the MARSOC team. Because he was viewed highly, it seems none of his crew questioned his decision when launching into IMC. This culture lead to over-confidence and was a strong contributing factor in the accident. It's interesting that even after the other UH-60 in his flight almost immediately RTB'd for weather, they pressed on. Seems unlikely this was the first time limits were pushed, unfortunately, this time it bit them hard. Aviation seems to provide us with a number of these lessons - Czar 52, Tenerife (civilian KLM/Pan Am), etc. Very tragic.

Some interesting reads:
Black Hawk crash caused by pilot error, Louisiana National Guard confirms
Black Hawk tragedy: Orders were ignored and 11 men died
Pilot error blamed for US helicopter crash in which 11 killed

Last edited:
Blizzard, pm sent.

Moderators if possible, I would appreciate this thread being locked.

While I can guess at the reason(s) why, please use the Report feature to state your case. That will allow the entire staff to read it, vice setting up a conversation/ PM.

Thank you.

Back