Help in the water

Motosapian12

Unverified

First of all if this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I saw it best fit to be here due to my circumstances. Anyways, I am a Marine and recently completed MARSOC A&S and I will attend my follow on course in January. I am currently stationed in Norfolk so there aren't any Marines here that can help me train in the water to the level I need to be at. By Marine standards I am a decent swimmer but obviously by SEAL standards I'm probably as well off as a high school life guard. Also I have zero experience with fins and want to be as prepared as possible for ITC. Does anyone know of someone that might be able to give me some advice and instruction in the water? Thank you for your help fellas.

There's a series of YouTube vids of SEALS swimming which are basic stroke instruction, plus one on their combat stroke. I haven't checked recently but their page used to gave a swim thread or similar. If you're really wanting the nitty gritty, your local library should have something. Chech out Books on triathlons as there may well be a brief regime attached to the cycle & run stuff.

The search function on this board (much less the Internet) utilizing the search terms "swimming" or "swim" should probably net you some really good answers. Initiative, self-directed study, and the ability to research are critical skills necessary to anyone desiring to get into ANY Special Operations unit.

LL

Bro theres no secret to it. Just get in the pool, ocean, etc. and swim/fin. There will be plenty of it at ITC. And remember you can always "Fin Harder"

I'm sure if you mosey on down to little creek, there might be a few peeps that might be able to help, would they be willing now is a different story...

Also keep in mind Marine swimming and Navy swimming is a little different, I dont know if they changed it, but when I was doing MCIWS, they didnt let me use the combat side stroke, they wanted head above the water at all times...:-| as far as fins, get a pair of rocket fins and practice treading water for a few hours...that then with weight :thumbsup: Then again im just talking because im substituting dinner for alcohol.

I would show up at the indoor pool on Little Creek during a weekday. You will surely run into a frogman there who can help. I'll try and get a hold of a few guys I know up there if they aren't deployed.....

I would show up at the indoor pool on Little Creek during a weekday. You will surely run into a frogman there who can help. I'll try and get a hold of a few guys I know up there if they aren't deployed.....

That is the best advice anyone can give you. I know guys at 2 and 8 but they're busy and wouldn't be around enough anyway to give you any kinds of steady instruction/mentorship. Do what this guy said, it's your best bet.

Also in addition to my drunk rant, if you check out the SEAL/SWCC recruiting site, they have a "SEAL Mentor" finder...usually retired guys, but they assist dive/mo staff to getting dudes in shape...maybe they have one around your area

Awesome, thanks for all the help guys. I'll be headin down to Little Creek sometime this week to try and find someone to help. Again I appreciate everything.

Check out the SEAL Mentor program; all former team guys and more than willing to help you with ANY stroke you need to get really good at. Hope this helps,,,and good luck.

Back