History Question

I LOVE jumping and I LOVE parachutes, but after I broke my back under a -1B I didn't want anything to do with military rounds under any conditions. However it was my job so I did it. One of my few regrets in life is boloing the JM course at Benning.

I was far less eager to jump in the military after busting myself up though I never let up on the civilian side.

I got hurt on a T-10 static line night equipment jump, I fractured my sternum and screwed up a few vertebrates, that was the only parachute injury I ever had. I have nobody to blame for that injury, except myself! :doh:

When, I mentioned extra jumps, I got a number of extra T-10 static line jumps, when the C-141's first came to McCord AFB. There wasn't many regular military airborne units in the area. 1st SFG(A) was deactivated at the time and 2nd Ranger BN didn't exist yet either.

The AF pathfinders were the only ones around. The AF was trying to train the C-141 navigators on the (CARP) computer air release point, which required actual dropping of troops. They wore out their own people, (Pathfinders) so they came to the 12th SFG(A) and asked for volunteers. Since we usually only got to jump just enough to stay on jump status , many of us volunteered for these jumps.

This required giving up your weekend to do the one jump. You went to McCord on a Friday night, where you went through your briefings, etc. You flew to the area around Mt. Home AFB, Idaho. The DZ was about an hour bus ride out from the base. You jumped, a Hollywood style jump. The DZ was flat as a pancake, biggest danger was the many gopher holes on the DZ.

Then you had to ride a rickety old AF bus back to the base. We found that the DZ and the areas we were riding through back to the base, were overrun with VERY large Jack Rabbits! The biggest damn rabbits I had ever seen!

So, we all started bringing our issue .45's and/or personal weapons and ammo. On the way back to the base in the bus, we blasted away at the 'Jack Rabbits.' This usually drove the AF driver nuts! But it sure was fun! >:{

We flew back to McCord on Sunday. One could explore Boise on Saturday and/or Saturday night. Of course, we were in 107's w/Green Berets, so we were sort of limited where we could go.

BTW: My parachute training in 1951 was with the T-7a! When it opened you knew it! ;)

June 1980, IIRC. PT test (pushups, situps, 2-mile run, horizontal ladder, run-dodge-jump and crab-walk) was conducted in the wooded area behind the SF chapel (what is now the parking lot for the SOAF).

"Pre-phase" was about a month. At SF company, in wooden WWII barracks, in the old COSCOM area. Running up and down "Sugar Hill" with rucks.

Then 27 days of Phase 1 at McKall (general subjects, land-nav, survival, patrolling). Rows of tar-paper shacks surrounded by three strands of barbed-wire. MAJ Bob Howard, Commanding.

Phase 2, the weapons course, was at Bragg. A Co. barracks, where SF ANCOC is now.
1SG Montgomery.

Phase 3, back at McKall, included Uwharrie, and several near run-ins with the Christian Patriots Defense League. Long live Pineland!

Graduation Nov. 1980, at the "White House". Speaker was Nick Rowe.

That's off the top of my head.

Ah yes, the Pinto and the Yugo of parachuting - the MC1-1B and the T-10... Thank the beings that run the universe - I never got badly injured - dings and scrapes - but I know a lot of people that did - backs, legs, thighs, necks, arms... not all of the injuries were attributable to the parachutes - some to CARP, some to operator headspace and timing malfunctions, and some to wind/weather/light conditions. Trust me - foggy Night Tactical Combat Equipment jumps are dangerous - and triply dangerous if its CARP with an IR spot set up by 'others' on a postage stap DZ on the side of a 'hill' that you've oly ever reconned by map and photos...

and when I was jumping - pro-pay was originally $55 a month and went to $110...
:)

I, too, was never hurt, other than a bruised ass (never carried a wallet again) or getting the wind knocked out of me. I believe that was because I concentrated on doing the best PLF I could, every single time I hit the ground. Don't worry about the conditions, the 'chute, whether or not you can see anything, just prepare to land and wait for it - don't anticipate it.

Most (military) jump injuries are due to joe not paying attention. And most of those occur during landing, because joe is more scared than he is paying attention. And that's a training failure at the lowest NCO level. :2c:

My knees,neck and ankles are kinda crunchy now, but jumping wasn't the only factor in that.

Back