hollywood medicine

txpj007

Pararescue
Verified SOF
!!SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT!!

so i just watched "the last house on the left" the other night. not here to give my opinion on the movie. but the scene were the dad is doctoring his daughter that is nearly dead made me smile/laugh. the guy uses a freakin steak knife and a tube from a windex bottle to give his daughter a chest tube. definitely NOT recommended but ive seen crazier improvised techniques for other procedures. I had to ask myself if i was in the exact same situation would i do the same. anybody else see this? your thoughts?

Oh brother. I think this is just as bad as that show of T.V., Royal Pains. I think T.V. medicine is poor and I refused to watch them. The only show I ever watched was Rescue 911. Thats what made me become a Paramedic while in the Army.

F.M.

they brought unsolved mysteries back but i dont know if it lasted. one of the first episodes was about kurt cobain's murder/suicide.

anyways i agree tv and movie medicine is bad in general as is most hollywood depictions of things medical/military. i just liked the spirit of the scene. i mean there is a technique to use a foley cath in the field if thats all you got and absolutely need a chest tube. so the windex steak knife technique in the movie made me laugh but made me think as well.

Emergency - I had the biggest crush on Randolph Mantooth! And he still looks pretty fine!

MV5BMTIzMjkwMTExMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDAzOTMy._V1._SX370_SY400_.jpg

Well, as everyone knows, I'm not former military or SF. That said, IMHO, there has been a good paramedic show since Johnny and Roy! ER made medics look like panicky morons and third watch made us look like doped out losers.

I for one never panic! I cry, scream, yell, cuss, spit, kick, bite, pray, and occasionally submissively urinate, but I never panic! }:-)

And forget about recreation shows! Oh my Lord! CPR is a holding pattern!

Emergency was a driving force in my wanting to become a firefighter and a paramedic. In fact I have most of the episodes and still watch them from time to time..... Awesome show.

I like House and 3rd Watch as well, but despised ER...

I am actually watching it right now and I thought it was a pretty good try at being accurate... Chest tube was kinda cool he even did the finger sweep for adhesions.

I am actually watching it right now and I thought it was a pretty good try at being accurate... Chest tube was kinda cool he even did the finger sweep for adhesions.

finally...a like mind:) dirt medicine is overlooked in the civilian world

Back