holster restoration

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
I have a brown leather 1911 holster that belonged to my grandfather. Markings indicate it was made in 1917. It fits my Kimber perfectly. The holster is in pretty good shape but I want to tidy it up to help with preservation, and because I also want to use the holster when I'm at the range (I have different, modern holster for concealed carry).

Looking for suggestions on how to help clean/preserve it as a working piece of equipment. I picked up some Saddle Soap and unless anyone has a better idea, I'm just going to use that.

IMG_7369.JPGIMG_7370.JPG

Mara... clean it with saddle soap, use a good leather conditioner, and then use neutral shoe polish/beeswax on the exterior to give it the parade look.
You could try a little neatsfoot or mineral oil on the interior if it's cracking, if not leave it be.

Please, don't try to remove any of the blemishes, just protect what's there, it's earned it's scars like any other soldier.

Mara... clean it with saddle soap, use a good leather conditioner, and then use neutral shoe polish/beeswax on the exterior to give it the parade look.
You could try a little neatsfoot or mineral oil on the interior if it's cracking, if not leave it be.

Please, don't try to remove any of the blemishes, just protect what's there, it's earned it's scars like any other soldier.

Yep, saddle soap and some leather conditioner.

That is a beautiful piece of history.

Yes I did! I also have a Vietnam-era black 1911 holster that was my father's. I had my 14-year-old wipe both holders down with Saddle Soap then polish them with brown and black Kiwi (as appropriate to the holster color). Both came out pretty nicely. I ended up adding a light to my Kimber so it no longer fits in either holster so they're both just kind of on display now.

Yes I did! I also have a Vietnam-era black 1911 holster that was my father's. I had my 14-year-old wipe both holders down with Saddle Soap then polish them with brown and black Kiwi (as appropriate to the holster color). Both came out pretty nicely. I ended up adding a light to my Kimber so it no longer fits in either holster so they're both just kind of on display now.

Well, break down and buy a vintage 1911A2-A3 for each holster for a proper display... Easy, Sir.

Back