How do you stay Up To Date?

@FisherAD1 thanks for the suggestions, I will have to add those to the list of things to look into. Much appreciated.

@policemedic I didnt hear about SOMA until last year and it was too late to buy tickets. This year, Ill pay my way there if needed. Knowledge doesnt weigh anything in the rucksack, right? Out of curiosity though what kind of preconference labs do they have? I havent heard anything about them before.

Last edited:
I hear one of the Rangers teaching the lab is buying the first round after the class.

That’s just RUMINT though....
Straight up lies, all lies. I was told students would be buying beer for the outstanding instructors. I heard one of them really likes Belgian sours.

This has been an issue in the AFMS for quite some time. Unless you’re stationed in San Antonio you’re not going to realistically keep up with trauma/critical care skills.

For SOST specific we’ve established relationships in a various places to work at civilian trauma centers to maintain our skills and stay current.

I am not spun up on it but I was under the impression that the Air Force SMART program was designed to accomplish a similar end for the AFMS. I’m not sure if it’s available at all bases or only a select number.

When I was stationed in Alaska we tried to send our medics and RNs to the level 1 trauma center for two weeks every couple months on a rotating schedule. In theory it was a good idea and well supported. Execution in an environment where everyone is short on manning is an entirely different variable.

Last edited:
Reviving a dead thread to ask if anyone is headed to SOMA this year. Looks like Im headed that way and looking to meet up with some experienced folks while there.

With all due respect to my esteemed colleague @policemedic (and you know I mean it because I said "with all due respect"), the purpose of the conference isn't to attend precon labs or events. The whole point of going to a conference like this is to buddy up with one of the vendors--particularly of the female persuasion, but don't be picky--to pay for all of your meals but especially booze. Play your cards right you might even go home with more money than you started with. If you learn something it's purely accidental.

While I'm in a different field, I too have heard a lot of great things about the SOMA conference and have been interested in attending myself but have no time. I think they also have a monthly, if not quarterly, journal. Journals are what I use to stay up to date in my field. Do EMTs have a professional organization or credentialing body that provides recs on how to stay up to date?

The NAEMT (Nationional Association of Emergency Medical Technicians) has a list they put out that counts certain certification hours per class. For example, I took a TCCC-Medical provider class that counted for 15 CEUs. However, that list is different every year. This year, SOMSA is dependent on the classes you take, so after the conference is done, you get an individulaized report on how many CEUs you can claim on your recertification.

Sort of necro-posting, but SOMA is open for registration. I'll be there this year as long as it doesn't get cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. There are some cool labs going on that I'm looking forward to!

Back