how many jumps in the Q course?

WTF? :confused::thumbsdown::-|
It's an italian superstitious motto...
Last year.. during MFF... look at this closed package...

res547957__SWI8528.JPG

I still have the reserve handle I pulled.... what's it to you? In 186 jumps, I had one that required prayer and emergency procedures (concurrently) during descent (crappy packing job by the rigging shed, half collapsed mae west and blown gores...) you never had any kind of malfunction?

Holy shit brother, that sucks, I haven't had any malfunctions(knock on wood).

Holy shit brother, that sucks, I haven't had any malfunctions(knock on wood).

Hell... Crip had two... I have a buddy who had 'static line wrap' and the scars on his bicep to prove it (hey, Chief were you still at Devens when Davey P had that little mishap?)...

Had 2 guys in Sage who got tossed early into a clear cut/felling area, there was cliff and downed trees in the leading edge of the DZ, one broken back, one broken femur. and you know how much crap you're packing on the infil jump at Sage.

After I reclassed to 18D I got tasked to set up a jump - at o530 SGM said, "we have 5x 130's; and 250 available chutes... We're jumping this afternoon - I'll let the CO know he's SR JM, we need 8 more, i'm AJM on the CO's bird... we need SOWT with a pie-ball NLT 1000 to get a first fix on winds... get trucks, call the Hospital to lay on medics, the Company except for you two are jumping, let B Co know they have 20 slots, no JM slots and need to task a driver - Motor Pool gets max 1o slots and we need whatever vehicles they can get us... the Hospital gets 5 slots if they have any ABN qualified people on orders... Let the Rigger shed know you will have people there at 1000 to run ititials/count/and check the load area... we;'re doing pre-jump here at 0930... that's your warno, frago, opord.... GO, NOW....

It got laid on all was working nicely, I had no med gear with me... I was a DZ monkey - and had to get out to the DZ by 0900 to walk it (Turner at Devens was a treacherous little DZ - ask Warchief if you don't believe me) .... the DZ walked out clear, normal obstacles (including the ravine that split the DZ that was surrouned by trees and hardball).

We did not get any ambulances - just Deuce and a halves - all of the crackerboxes were out at the ranges (Reserves, Sig School, and MIdet were all out at the ranges...). We got 3 brand new leg 91A's and 91B's for the 'medical' support...

T/D/CE with movement back to Co Area from rally ... 4 birds, no issues... last bird.... one injury... a nice lower leg SNAFU... tib/fib/calcaneus and malleolar involvement (heel/ankle/shin for you non medics), closed, immediate bruising and edema, pain at about a 7 for a real badass.... not a good deal... the 'medics' who had been through the "DZ medicine/Jump trauma" classes from the Hospital (required since there was an ABN unit on Post) got there and started working... SGM sent me over to see what was up... I told him to send over one of the deuces.... as Iwas running up I saw a Thomas Traction splint being taken out of the box by our 'medical crew' :eek: that screamed FEMUR to me... I asked them what was up and was the femur break open or closed... they said they had it under control... they had a closed break but it was a jump injury and their leg 1SG said itf a leg is broken on the DZ, use the Thomas... :confused: this is a really bad idea for a closed multiple involvement Fx of the distal portion of the lower leg/ankle heel since the Thomas slint can apply enough traction to reset an elephant's femur... essentially, it will rip the guy's foot off and pull the bones of the tib fib break apart, and crush the broken part of the heel due to the attachments....
My buddy on the ground looked like he was hurting and not really confident in the abilities of the 'medics' there... I don't fault him for that... after getting the history/dx, I asked them why they were using the Thomas - " it's a broken leg on a DZ, we are required to use the Thomas." I told them in exactly this many words... Get Fucked, you are not completing treatment, I'm taking over - which was argued... I got the CO on my radio to relieve them of care on the Pt after I explained what was going on... but kept them for their equipment.... no ladder splints, no paddle splints, no Ace bandages.... A friggin brand new Thomas in a box... in a box!:rolleyes:... Hey, guys give me your belts, give me a BDU top or two, hand me the cardboard box.... out with the knife... slash, slash, trim trim... fold, pad, fit, and lash..... Voila, the homeless splint (I never got my rigger belt back, dammit, lost a knife and a flashlight too) and transport is possible... in a deuce, 1/2 way up the DZ, Turner DZ... 1/4 mile of ruts, rocks, and potholes to the road, then a rutted road for 3mi... to a decent road for 15 miles to the hospital... The ER Doc was astounded at the splint... especially since it said right on the side he could see "Thomas Medical Equipment, Splint, Traction 600lb torque capacity, folding version NSN...... " he got my notes...he got the story... he told the 3 leg medics to wait until he was done treating this guy.... I never saw them again....

and that's what can happen jumping...

My one experience with a CARP was to avoid them at all costs.

I was still a cherry jumper, FRESH out of Benning, and Friday night at formation our 1SG said that some LRS guys were down and going to jump, did any of us want to make a jump?

A bunch of hands go up including mine.
"Nighttime."
A few go down.
"C-141"
More go down.
"Combat equipment"
More go down, and I'm wondering WTF is going on.
"CARP"
Almost all go down except mine when I hear someone in my SIGDET
"If you don't put your hand down I'll put it down for you."
No hands were left so I asked our JM's what was up and they explained CARP to me.

Formation Sat. morning asked for volunteers to meet the riggers at the DZ. It seems they were up most of the night recovering jumpers, chutes, and equipment. Special emphasis was placed on those with chainsaw skillz.....

I still have the reserve handle I pulled.... what's it to you? In 186 jumps, I had one that required prayer and emergency procedures (concurrently) during descent (crappy packing job by the rigging shed, half collapsed mae west and blown gores...) you never had any kind of malfunction?

In my meager amount of jumps the worst things I had happen was getting KTFO by a C-5, and having 2 blown panels in my T-10 my 2nd jump in airborne school.

The softest landing I ever had was a tree landing on the edge of Fryar, the tree was about 15 feet taller than the height of an outstretched canopy and as such, when I came in through the trees, the tree my chute caught on bent over and set me right down on my fingertips. I tried tugging to get it down, then laughed and muttered "Sucks to be DZ Detail today" as I tucked my head and pulled both my canopy releases, slingshotting it nicely up into a 4 tree mess.

Engineer tape around the tree, shot an azimuth, engineer tape around a big bush with a back azimuth and pace count, and let the DZ detail I passed know about it on my way to my RP.

Worst jump I had should have been the best. UH60 jump, but I failed to properly secure my junk and had a horrible ride down. Didn't even grab toggles, just kept my nuts out of the harness all the way down

Back