HRT?

dknob

Ranger
Verified SOF
Who can tell me anything about the 2 week selection?

Do they just steal elements and events from ASC?

Any info would appreciated. Google has failed me.

Good luck finding anything about it open source. Just FYI, you have to be an SA for two years before you can go to selection.

And thats if I get accepted in the TRP program. I'd hate to sit around for 3 years.

Whats the internet good for these days.. if a man can't even look up Top Secret information on google??

And thats if I get accepted in the TRP program. I'd hate to sit around for 3 years.

Whats the internet good for these days.. if a man can't even look up Top Secret information on google??

This was the funniest thing I've read in quite sometime thanks lol:)

Who can tell me anything about the 2 week selection?

Do they just steal elements and events from ASC?

Any info would appreciated. Google has failed me.

It's hard. Harder if you're stupid. Read the book Cold Zero. Written by a HRT guy; not perfect, but more information than you'll find elsewhere.

Be in great physical shape. Don't quit.

It's hard. Harder if you're stupid.

That was funny too, but I can only imagine it holds very true. I could almost see that as a de-motivational poster.

Awhile back I was perusing the FBI site and application/training sections. A very simple and albeit probably silly question occured to me. What are the chances of Agent Schmoe who didn't have a tactical background of making it in the selection process for HRT? If I understand correctly, it is open to any agent who has the necessary skills after spending a certain amount of time in. However, in light of the recruiting programs such as TRP, HSLD guys would have the edge on those w/o that background. Would it behoove an agent to try for the regional FBI SWAT teams and spend time there if they can before even attempting to go that route?

That was funny too, but I can only imagine it holds very true. I could almost see that as a de-motivational poster.

Awhile back I was perusing the FBI site and application/training sections. A very simple and albeit probably silly question occured to me. What are the chances of Agent Schmoe who didn't have a tactical background of making it in the selection process for HRT? If I understand correctly, it is open to any agent who has the necessary skills after spending a certain amount of time in. However, in light of the recruiting programs such as TRP, HSLD guys would have the edge on those w/o that background. Would it behoove an agent to try for the regional FBI SWAT teams and spend time there if they can before even attempting to go that route?

You have to have SOF (or plenty of LE tactical/SWAT experience) to go under the TRP program:

Must have at least 3 years of tactical experience in either law enforcement or the military.
Law Enforcement Experience:
  • With a Federal Agency tactical team (This category includes all Military Police.).
  • Or with a Local/County/State Agency or Department tactical team.
- Full-time tactical team experience will carry more weight than part-time experience.
- Completion of continuing education courses in at least three of the following: Basic SWAT • Advanced SWAT • Hostage Rescue • High Risk Arrest • Barricaded Subject • Basic Sniper/Observer • Advanced Sniper/Observer • Tactical Firearms • Mechanical Breaching
Military Experience – Army
Combat Arms experience. Service in Special Forces Group or Ranger Regiment will carry more weight.
Military Experience – Navy
Must have served in the Naval Special Warfare Community as a SEAL or Naval Special Warfare Officer.
Military Experience – Marine Corps
Combat Arms experience.
Military Experience – Air Force
Must have served in Combat Controller, Combat Rescue (Pararescue), or Tactical Air Control Party fields.

Selection to HRT is open to all FBI Special Agents who have achieved a prescribed level of FBI investigative experience, are recommended to come to the HRT selection course by their Special Agent in Charge based on the quality of their work, and have demonstrated excellent firearms and physical fitness skills.

I'm sure they can apply if they do serve on one of the field office tactical teams and get the necessary creds. The HRT recruiter actually recommends for anyone on the TRP to do just that anyways while they wait for their selection date to pop up.

TRP is an accelerated method of getting into HRT. HRT is open to any special agent. They started TRP because not enough agents were making it through the selection. What they need to do is make HRT a support branch instead of a special agent position so a college degree wouldn't be a requirement. That, more than anything is limiting their pool of qualified applicants.

According to the HRT recruiter, the average turnover for HRT is four years (which is basically one HRT tour). More often than not, the HRT guys are going back to the field offices. That wouldn't be feasible if they made it its own branch with separate requirements.

According to the HRT recruiter, the average turnover for HRT is four years (which is basically one HRT tour). More often than not, the HRT guys are going back to the field offices. That wouldn't be feasible if they made it its own branch with separate requirements.

That's what I'm saying. Why send a guy back to be a gum shoe at a field office? After four years of taking a guy off the street and training him up to a CQB standard, he finally starting to get pretty good and then he leaves. Keep him in the specialized role on a permanent basis. To me the FBI is trying to run HRT the way the Army ran the SF before they were their own branch. I looked into HRT when I was considering getting out. Good program but you are a special agent first and HRT is basically a b billet you do for four to eight years of your career. Good deal if you are okay with that but not so good if you are joining the FBI just to go HRT.

From what I understand, many of the former HRT guys either stay on in a support role, or move on to take up leadership positions with one of the Field Office SWAT teams.

That's what I'm saying. Why send a guy back to be a gum shoe at a field office? After four years of taking a guy off the street and training him up to a CQB standard, he finally starting to get pretty good and then he leaves. Keep him in the specialized role on a permanent basis. To me the FBI is trying to run HRT the way the Army ran the SF before they were their own branch. I looked into HRT when I was considering getting out. Good program but you are a special agent first and HRT is basically a b billet you do for four to eight years of your career. Good deal if you are okay with that but not so good if you are joining the FBI just to go HRT.

I did not know that you wouldnt stay in HRT your whole career. I cant imagine making it in, serving, then getting sent out back to the FBI. That's not exactly what I had in mind.

Jesus Christ, this thread makes me think of the kid who wants to be a SWAT officer, but doesn't want to have to put his time in patrol. :rolleyes: There are reasons behind why agencies require education (read: college degree) beyond experience. There are also reasons behind why you don't get to join LE agencies just to be an "operator." Your first and primary mission is law enforcement, any fucking group of morons can breach a door an clear a room.

There have been some good points made in this thread. To answer the OP question, I remember reading a great article within the past year all about the HRT selection process. I believe it was this issue http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/swat-hostage-rescue-team/ On a side note, I was at my friend's college graduation party yesterday and met his godfather, who happens to be the Deputy Director for Counterterrorism at the FBI :D

Back