I need help on my project

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1TLOTL

Unverified
I am an artist working on a very specific project. I've been working on this for quite a while now. I have realized I need input which I cannot get from books. I've bought several. While some are informative, I am just not getting the information I need. That can only come form those who have been in actual combat situations. The project I am working on is fictional. I am going to have to guess about somethings just because of the nature of the project. I need actual accounts of things to flesh out the narrative giving it a realistic feel.

I literally am a starving artist so I cannot compensate with money right now. I don't like to be cheated, so I don't cheat. Information has value. Anyone willing to work on a contingency basis is what I need. Basically, if I get paid, you get paid. The project is multifaceted. It will be literary, digital and visual. I am writing a narrative which may or may not become a book of some sort. I know I will definitely have some sort of legendarium and a sort of dictionary or glossary, maybe both. I will have visual depictions of characters besides the obvious digital manifestations. If I can afford it, I'd like to also do 3-D pieces as well.

I have a very interesting idea with a twist of an old idea. Most projects of this kind are old ideas. Wars and conflict are as old as mankind. If there is anyone that would like to work with me, I'll share more of what it really is. Pardon my paranoia but projects of this sort can be stolen or sidetracked very quickly.

What I have is 9 characters initially. I know what they look like. I know their personalities. I know their abilities. I just need a realistic scenario in which to set them. I have an idea of the overall situation. I've modified that several times due to current events. I initially had a timeline with a starting point of 2058. That may have to be revisited. Input on that would also be helpful.

What I think I need and what I actually need maybe different and will be influenced by the input. I think I need a special ops guy. It doesn't make much difference which branch. I wouldn't think it would. That may be the first hurdle to cross. I have a nephew in the Air Force. He is in engineering. So he is in the rear. While his input will help on the periphery. It isn't germane to the central narrative. Everyone else I know that was military are all gone. That would be family members. My dad was in the Navy. My mother's only brother was a career Navy man. He was in the Navy for 33 years. Every one of my uncles was in the service. That was WW2 though and everyone was in the service.

I need guys familiar with covert missions and tactics. Preferably those heavy on Intel gathering. Now, if I'm in the wrong place just tell me and I'll delete the account. I don't mean to upset anyone. I'm not doing anything untoward. I just really need the help. I can go full fiction on this. I'd just rather it be real as it can be.

Any help out there?

So, you're not going to upset anyone, and of all places, this is one of the more welcoming for this sort of request. I am not sure how many responses you will get, but you won't be dogpiled for asking the question.

Good luck with your book- I would say, I bet that you would be able to learn *a lot* on this forum with the search function and a little time. It's truly a wealth of knowledge.

I've perused through some threads on here. I think I might need to clarify some things. I don't need specifics about names or locations. I actually need input on things like correct term usage, common slang and everyday vernacular so the dialogue can be believable. Locations and current names are irrelevant since the narrative is set in the future.

Theories on geopolitical outcomes would be entertained as well. I have my own ideas. I would be most willing to listen to others. I would like very much to have person experiences as to the mindset in operational scenarios. I've never been in a situation of life and death save a tornado when I was 9 and a hurricane when I was 15. Those are not the same thing. I mean no matter what a guy does, he isn't going to actually affect the weather.
While there is battlefield activity in some areas, my guys are an insertion force with very specific goals within a very limited timeframe. Please bear with me for a while. I know these are fictional characters so I'm not mental. My guys rely more on superior physical conditioning, articulate training, stealth and intellect to accomplish mission objectives rather than brute force. Brute force is always on the table, however. Every situation, I would think would be with extreme prejudice.

These storylines have become so burdensome and rote in the past few years. I want to pare everything down to the basics. However, for marketability there has to be some way cool stuff too.

I would also like input on command style. Is there one which is better than others? Does it depend more on the mission, weaponry or the personnel? I have a bud that was in Iraq for 3 deployments. He is still reserve. He was a young (24) officer, 2nd LT, his first time out. He doesn't like to talk about it. I also have a cousin-in-law that was in Vietnam. He definitely won't talk about it at all. So I understand, to the degree I can, the hesitancy..

This might just be some input you can discard- but what about letting it be a group project here on the thread? Put in your list of stuff you need clarified and people can stop by and reply to the parts where they are SME's.

Might work, I would be willing to check in a couple times and add what value I could. Some others may feel the same way.

I need guys familiar with covert missions and tactics. Preferably those heavy on Intel gathering. Now, if I'm in the wrong place just tell me and I'll delete the account. I don't mean to upset anyone. I'm not doing anything untoward. I just really need the help. I can go full fiction on this. I'd just rather it be real as it can be.

Any help out there?
Let’s skip the TLDR backstory and cut to the bottom line. You’re on a public site where no one knows you, and you’re asking for information about covert operations, TTPs, and intel gathering. This information is by definition sensitive/classified and therefore not publicly available, and you’re asking for it so you can… make it publicly available for your own personal gain? Seems pretty sus to me.

I can think of multiple instances, some of which are mentioned on this site, where people who have access to the kind of information you're requesting ended up in serious trouble for "trying to make things more realistic" for someone else. I don’t see any good that would come to any site members, or the site in general, for going down that road with you.

There's a fine line between seeking authenticity and recruiting an agent. If you look at Tom Clancy and probably other writers/ screenwriters, and then their methods or processes to gain authenticity, those mirror the recruitment of a...well, spy.

I'm not pooping on the OP and whether they are genuine or not, but providing a bit of context to the discussion. I firmly believe this site had at least one person try to solicit information on behalf of a foreign gov't years and years ago. Probably a few to be honest. I'm not saying don't help the OP, but think before you type.

Again, I'm not trying to poop on the OP or convince members to support them or not, just reminding everyone that you can go from helping someone with the best of intent to chatting with your local counterintel folks real quick.

I'm not asking for specifics at all. What I want is a general feeling about methods and practices. I'm not asking for names or locations or mission guidelines or objects of any past or current situation. Let me put it this way. I have a lot of books by military guys. They tell me the terms and definitions. They describe past excursions etc. I need to know how the info would be applied in a situation I would fictionally create. My starting point as stated is at least 2058. I think I may actually need to push it back a decade at least. I have a college friend whose brother is in the DIA so I totally understand the skepticism.

This might just be some input you can discard- but what about letting it be a group project here on the thread? Put in your list of stuff you need clarified and people can stop by and reply to the parts where they are SME's.

Might work, I would be willing to check in a couple times and add what value I could. Some others may feel the same way.
Sorry I didn't see this post. My old desktop is glitchy. I only use my work laptop on the net when absolutely necessary. This is actually a very good idea. The problem is it would be public. If there would be some way to make it a private thing, it would be better. If I give too much of the storyline out it can be stolen. I've had it happen before. The state of the legal system is of no assistance in these types of situations. Been there done that.

I'm not asking for specifics at all. What I want is a general feeling about methods and practices. I'm not asking for names or locations or mission guidelines or objects of any past or current situation. Let me put it this way. I have a lot of books by military guys. They tell me the terms and definitions. They describe past excursions etc. I need to know how the info would be applied in a situation I would fictionally create. My starting point as stated is at least 2058. I think I may actually need to push it back a decade at least. I have a college friend whose brother is in the DIA so I totally understand the skepticism.

You just described TTP's.

What is Army Doctrine? - Modern War Institute.

Secondly, doctrine consists of tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs). TTPs incorporate the Army’s evolving knowledge and experience. They support and implement fundamental principles, linking them with associated applications. The “how to” of tactics, techniques, and procedures includes descriptive and prescriptive methods and processes.

Tactics are the employment and ordered arrangement of forces in relation to each other.

Techniques are non-prescriptive ways or methods used to perform missions, functions, or tasks. They are the primary means of conveying the lessons learned that units gain in operations.

Procedures are standard, detailed steps that prescribe how to perform specific tasks. They normally consist of a series of steps in a set order. Procedures are prescriptive; regardless of circumstances, they are executed in the same manner. They are often based on equipment and are specific to particular types of units. A common set of procedures in the army include individual unit Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs).

tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP) - Glossary | CSRC

I didn't event think of the War Institute. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely do research there. I suppose there is nowhere to read on standards and practices of spy craft for lack of a better term. Or is the whole point to NOT have standards and practices on such things. I tried to converse with my aforementioned friend's brother but he was very closed mouth about even the slightest thing. In retrospect, he may have been worried about something inadvertently slipping out. I've known him since he was 6, so there is that familiarity between us.

I didn't event think of the War Institute. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely do research there. I suppose there is nowhere to read on standards and practices of spy craft for lack of a better term. Or is the whole point to NOT have standards and practices on such things. I tried to converse with my aforementioned friend's brother but he was very closed mouth about even the slightest thing. In retrospect, he may have been worried about something inadvertently slipping out. I've known him since he was 6, so there is that familiarity between us.

This is my last post on this...thing, but have you not heard of Google? Do you not know how to use it? My God, you are a writer and don't know about Amazon or search engines?

Ah, shit...

Kudos to you, you got me. I fell for the troll. I'll take the L on this one.

I tried to converse with my aforementioned friend's brother but he was very closed mouth about even the slightest thing. In retrospect, he may have been worried about something inadvertently slipping out. I've known him since he was 6, so there is that familiarity between us.
After further review…your friend’s brother is probably right. Far too many loose-lips-that-shink-ships these days…both purposeful and inadvertent...most members here will not share info about what you are seeking without knowing you much better, and likely only in person.

The mission of this site is to help young men and women reach their SOF goals; the information you are asking for has the potential to turn into something it was never intended to.

Best of success to you on your project; you are more than welcome to remain a member and read/participate as appropriate, but book club is effectively closed.

🔒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back