I'm going hunting on public land...................

Just a mild rant, but after the divorce I no longer have access to the private land I had hunted for nearly 2 decades.

That also means no more use of the in-laws’ 4-Wheeler and truck.

I’ve found some state forest land that I’m interested in bow-hunting this year and have been working thru the logistics.

The biggest issue? Getting the Whitetail out of the woods.

FIL was a meat cutter so I learned enough from him to butcher and process my own animals. Grand plan for 2021 was to take a doe or small buck, Skin and quarter it out in the field, and the pack it out, leaving the meatless carcass and guts.

Of course...MN DNR says that is a no go. Only the guts can stay in the field.

“F”.

Dumping the pack into the trunk and heading home to hang everything would be much easier and ethical than pulling a 1970’s “over the hood” look.

On to plan D.

On to plan D.
There are thirteen National Wildlife Refuges in MN...some of them allow hunting and during the current administration, there has been a push to open more public lands to public use (novel concept)...might not hurt to check around and see if there's anything near you that is open to hunting.
For example..
www.fws.gov/refuge/Minnesota_Valley/hunting.html

There was a special hunt this year over the holidays...

Just a mild rant, but after the divorce I no longer have access to the private land I had hunted for nearly 2 decades.

That also means no more use of the in-laws’ 4-Wheeler and truck.

I’ve found some state forest land that I’m interested in bow-hunting this year and have been working thru the logistics.

The biggest issue? Getting the Whitetail out of the woods.

FIL was a meat cutter so I learned enough from him to butcher and process my own animals. Grand plan for 2021 was to take a doe or small buck, Skin and quarter it out in the field, and the pack it out, leaving the meatless carcass and guts.

Of course...MN DNR says that is a no go. Only the guts can stay in the field.

“F”.

Dumping the pack into the trunk and heading home to hang everything would be much easier and ethical than pulling a 1970’s “over the hood” look.

On to plan D.

Interesting. In AZ you have to take 50% of the Animal including the head and proof of sex.

Gotta say, I feel dirty just watching this. Personal opinion/hunting ethics but I don't like the idea of baiting bear, but this SOB shot a monster Grizz while the thing was sunning itself and half asleep.

I just can't bring myself to kill anything but wild hogs or particularly troublesome coyotes nowadays. I must be getting soft in my old age and find myself loving animals too much. I get sad when I see roadkill.

My old French Prof who was in 5th group for a lot of the cross boarder work in Laos mentioned to me years ago he had stopped hunting, because for him he'd hunted enough dudes that hunting animals literally wasn't a thing for him. Was some dark shit when he mentioned that.

Last edited:
My old French Prof who was in 5th group for a lot of the cross boarder work in Laos mentioned to me years ago he had stopped hunting, because for him he'd hunted enough dudes that hunting animals literally wasn't a thing for me. Was some dark shit when he mentioned that.
Animals are innocent, like children. Only with good reason will I pull the trigger on a living thing now.

Last edited:
Back