Improve my chances for a BUD/s billet

COB22

Unverified
Hello all,
I am currently a HS senior and will be attending Cornell University next year on a NROTC scholarship and will also be playing varsity lacrosse there. Although I would prefer to enlist and go straight toBUD/s after college, this is no longer really an option unless I leave Cornell which I am not planning on doing. So my main focus now is to improve my resume so that I can get one of those coveted spots at BUD/s when the time comes. I am going to work for the high GPA, killer PT scores, and will be taking Arabic. The lacrosse team there is very strong, currently 10th in the nation, and trains very hard so my fitness level will be very high with the additional NROTC training. I know how competitive the BUD/s slots are, so given my current situation, would you advise me to try out for football my sophomore year, or is my resume competitive enough as is? Any other tips for improving my chances would be greatly appreciated.

Also (forgot to add this to first post), I was told by a current NROTC student at Cornell who also wanted to become a SEAL that if you put Surface Warfare as your second choice for job option, it will improve your chances of being selected for BUD/s. He said that because you can got to BUD/s after you get your surface warfare pin, the selection panel sees this they know you are 100% wanting to go SEALs. Is this true that the panel wants to see this, and that you can transfer from surface warfare?

I don't know anything about the commissioning process in the Navy - I'm an Army officer. But, I will say from experience trying to 'game' the commissioning process is very difficult.

I have also found in counseling many prospective officers if there is only one thing in the military that will make you happy - being commissioned is not for you. The first job of an officer is leadership - wherever you are, whatever you are doing. If you cannot fulfill your duties as an officer with everything you have - mind, body, and soul - then don't accept a commission, or resign it once you have it. @SWO3245 - I am thinking of you with this post as well.

Cornell, huh?

They had/have a strong NROTC program when I was there 25 years ago after the Corps for my Bachelors. The NCOIC let me run PT with them. I had some successful students, who went on to NSW and USMC.

They have some great trails and running loops. There are many hills, especially a killer one from downtown up to the campus, Buffalo street. If you want to get a lung/leg burn, run or bike up. You could get a great weight or calisthentic workout for about an hour and then run 15 miles in fresh air among the hills.

You can join Lacrosse, Rugby, Crew or any of other sports teams or not. You can get fit, either way. They have a great gym system.

Or enjoy your time as a college student, get good grades, be a good NROTC student, and also have fun. Don't be a stiff.

I want to re-iterate what Il Duce said: you are going be an officer. Be prepared to lead. Take care of your people and they will take care of you.

Cornell U is a great place. Don't fuck it up.

A billion years ago I spent one failed year in NROTC.

Go into NROTC. Crush everything put in front of you. Find things to crush and crush those. PT, your grades, leadership, sports...

Keep your mouth shut. A Freshman talking about a BUD/S slot is like some girl off the bus telling everyone how she'll win an Oscar in a few years. Guys are going to ask what you want to do. Tell them Aviation or Surface Warfare because that's what 90% of class will say. Blend. Hedge those career bets. Late sophomore/ early junior year (probably the latter) you can start talking about BUD/S. By then you'll see how you compare to the others. You'll have a good idea about your GPA, class standing, and a little of what the Navy's about. Under scholarship you have a service obligation so you HAVE a job after you graduate. Don't be "that guy" telling everyone about BUD/S only to be rejected and then try to convince the cadre you'd like to fly F-18's.

Crush everything you do, blend, and wait. Start figuring out the game after your first year.

Oh, one thing I forgot about: Schools are allocated (they were 20 years ago, so consider accordingly) a number of slots for specific programs.

BUD/S is not one of those.

Your class may have 3 Aviators, 6 Surface Warfare, 2 Intel, etc....whatever the numbers. Programs like BUD/S and I think Nuke School are on a national level. Confirm this with your cadre or class seniors, the system may well have changed, but be prepared to compete on a national level for a slot and not on a class level like aviation, SWO, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I need to change my mindset somewhat, it is somewhat difficult as becoming a SEAL has been my goal for almost 10 years, I have never wanted anything else. I was thinking about some USMC careers but SEALs has always been number 1. At Cornell I will be

Sorry, I was not finished typing and accidentally hit post. I will start changing my mindset from only focused on one career to becoming a good officer. Flying jets would be an awesome career as well, and I will try to keep my mind open. Also, towards Freefalling, the BUD/s slots are competed for at a national level, there is usually between 10 and 15 slots open per year (according to other posts I have seen).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a long post typed out but accidentally deleted it. Before we go any further though, do you want to be an officer or a SEAL?

JK07,
I want to be a SEAL. I do not care if it as an officer or as enlisted, I will take either path as long as the result is becoming a SEAL. However, I do think my parents gave me good advice when they said to do NROTC for at least the first year. I have obviously never been in the military and if I really enjoy my first year in NROTC and I begin to see more of what a career as a Naval Officer has to offer, there is a chance (although very slim) that I may want to be an Officer more than a SEAL. That is the only reason I took the scholarship as opposed to enlisting straight out of college.

I'm all about going to college before joining bro.It gives you more time to mature, which looking back I definitely needed. Having that degree is good too because youre never more than one accident away from your life in the Teams being over.

Giving ROTC a try isn't a terrible idea. Just keep in mind its extremely difficult to get a spot to BUD/S from ROTC. I knew multiple guys in my school's ROTC unit who got spots, but also some who didn't and ended up in places they didn't want to be. Just to be clear though, if you want to kick in doors and do the sexy cool guy stuff for more than 4-6 years, you need to be on the enlisted side of the house. Oh and unless its changed in only the last few months, whoever told you pinned surface warfare officers can't go to BUD/S is full of shit. Don't take advice from people who don't know what they're talking about.

Enjoy college. Bang chicks, party hard, do well in school and train hard. Come back in a year or two when you figure our what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jk07,
Thanks for the advice. I do think the enlisted route is more my style, I would prefer to beat my body for as long as I can. The more I research, the more I realize how slim the chances of going to BUD/S out of ROTC are. I was told by a member that giving up my scholarship after the first year would be dishonorable, but I think that if I find another way to pay for college, taking the money for the next three years when someone else could have it seems even more dishonorable. I hope the frequent sub zero weather and lacrosse plus my own training can help me succeed at BUD/S. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Back