Independence Day aka 4th of July

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun!

The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

I love quotes and writing from our Founding Fathers, it provides us a window into their thinking. I don't worship the men, but I revere their writings in all forms, and I strongly respect them for what they did and what they risked.

I hate, almost to the point of being sickened, how the period's imagery (flags, quotes, people, etc.) have become co-opted by the American flag-clad Punisher-sticker displaying "super patriots" of today.

The FF were in a VERY difficult place, one without precedent, and made the best choices under bad circumstances they could. Those choices resulted in further bloodshed, violence, and loss of life, but without those choices we'd have...a Jubilee to attend and Boxing Day to celebrate.

The FF made decisions which shit on some people. Tragically. They did this for a greater good and I don't believe it was out of racism, but a larger view, a long game.

Whatever our society's problems in 2022, and there are a lot, we should ALL be thankful that a group of "old, white men" stood up for their beliefs. They gave us a foundation work out their wrongs and I think they understand that.

My opinion and worth what you paid for the words.

I love quotes and writing from our Founding Fathers, it provides us a window into their thinking. I don't worship the men, but I revere their writings in all forms, and I strongly respect them for what they did and what they risked.

I hate, almost to the point of being sickened, how the period's imagery (flags, quotes, people, etc.) have become co-opted by the American flag-clad Punisher-sticker displaying "super patriots" of today.

The FF were in a VERY difficult place, one without precedent, and made the best choices under bad circumstances they could. Those choices resulted in further bloodshed, violence, and loss of life, but without those choices we'd have...a Jubilee to attend and Boxing Day to celebrate.

The FF made decisions which shit on some people. Tragically. They did this for a greater good and I don't believe it was out of racism, but a larger view, a long game.

Whatever our society's problems in 2022, and there are a lot, we should ALL be thankful that a group of "old, white men" stood up for their beliefs. They gave us a foundation work out their wrongs and I think they understand that.

My opinion and worth what you paid for the words.
I'm OK with it. From my standpoint, it's preferable to the "fuck the Fourth" and other sentiments currently being openly expressed by the Left.

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, during the last Secret Santa here, a member and friend sent me a modern reproduction of the Revolutionary-era Gadsden Flag, which I would not have bought for myself but nonetheless have proudly displayed in my basement workspace. :)

1656955609498.png

Agreed with all stated. I'm huge American Revolution history nerd. That said, the amount of "Americans" that shit on history, shit on our republic, shit on the founders words, makes me sick.

The sacrifice to do what they did, in a hot room today and the coming says, history says, the Declaration was not signed at once, founders were in and out all month to finish it, it was voted upon today.

Yet, we have Immigrants that earn their green card/citizenship to be Americans, that can recite the beginning of the Declaration or Preamble yet, Americans that cannot, is sad.

Then, the bill of rights that were demanded by old white men like Jefferson and Madison that secured, on paper, our inherent rights from our creator, or, our constitution would not been signed and ratified by all, recognizing that, men in power can be evil, rights are not granted by men.

The French enlightenment that Thomas Paine used in writings, Federalist/anti-Federalist papers are a great read.

Yet, some think the constitution/bill of rights should be updated. My response? Fuck you, go away.

Happy treason day.

A link to their sacrifice...

https://www.newsmax.com/Pre-2008/Recalling-the-Sacrifices-Our/2005/07/03/id/683357/

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun!

The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry - March 23, 1775

Maria and I made a visit a few years back to Colonial Williamsburg. We attended a play called Resolve. At the capitol/house of burgess.

They were talking volunteers to play parts, I raised my hand for Gov Henry, Maria became defacto first lady, she was not amused.

My part? The last 2 paragraphs. Of course, me being me, I enhanced it plus I know it by heart, stomped my foot, shaked my fist, my voice loud, the place was quiet and staring at me.

The actors/actresses were quiet, Maria was mortified, I felt accomplished and it's still a highlight....

Back