Infantry Combat Operations in 2020?

TT

Unverified
Hello everyone, I’m currently 0311 and about to EAS. Obviously with the draw down, 03’s seeing any type of action in this current day and age seems about as rare as finding a clear picture of Bigfoot. Are the 11B’s doing still getting some once in a while? I’ve talked to quite a few 11B’s and been getting a lot of mixed answers. While every other 03 obviously will say we are not.

(Reason for question: curiosity, and debating on branch switch or just going CIV DIV)

I honestly don’t see that switching to another branch is going to help you find infantry “action” at a time when infantry action is scarce and mainly parceled to specialized units and their support.

Are the 11B’s doing still getting some once in a while?

I'm so happy I can use this GIF:

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

Joke answer aside; as a whole, I would say the Army combat arms branches are still "getting action" compared to the Marines, but that's not to say it's widespread.
For example; I've got 4 other vets with similar times of service doing job training with me.
Myself (cook) and the 11b each have one deployment over 10+ years, the medic has 3 over 8, and the human intel collector (interrogator) has 5 over 9.
Deployments are more about being in the right place with the right job at the right time than anything else.

I don't think switching branches is going to drastically increase your chances. If you're wanting a chance at combat, I'd imagine the green tagged Marines here would tell you to look at Recon/Raider.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I’m currently 0311 and about to EAS. Obviously with the draw down, 03’s seeing any type of action in this current day and age seems about as rare as finding a clear picture of Bigfoot. Are the 11B’s doing still getting some once in a while? I’ve talked to quite a few 11B’s and been getting a lot of mixed answers. While every other 03 obviously will say we are not.

(Reason for question: curiosity, and debating on branch switch or just going CIV DIV)
I’m stationed on Bragg currently as an 11B within a Parachute Infantry Regiment as an NCO. Although the unit I’m with is one that deploys in rotations every year or two, is not the case anymore. I went from no pumps out of Pendleton to one with my current unit to missing out on a rotation we were set for.

But @TT , I feel your pain. I know what it’s like to be in garrison, unable to use all those killing skills and toys.

I'm not gonna give advice, just an option if you go civilian. Look at the Army NG, specifically 1/143 Infantry (Airborne)They are the most high speed unit we have outside of Special Forces, which SF in the guard I have been told is a pretty sweet gig. I'd stay clear of the many, many regular Infantry guard units until you had some time out of the USMC. Totally different animal and most guys right off active duty tend to hate life.

The guard actually deploys quite a bit, and there are always tons of opportunities to volunteer for the many different missions that fall into the guards state and federal mission profile.

Example: I spent 10.5 years in the NG, 9 years of it on active duty, 2 combat deployments for a little over 30mths boots in the sand. Did 3 years as a weapons instructor for deploying troops, also worked Counter Drug on the state side, tons of short deployments doing anything from support to patrols, etc, etc.

The main point if you want to stay somewhat in the game and pursue a civilian career, the NG ain't a bad place to do it. I'd stay clear of the reserves, but they would probably say the same about the guard. Again not saying you should, just an option to think about.

AFG is almost over, IZ/Syria will keep being slow for the foreseeable future, and Africa has limited “combat” operations. We are entering the “between war” years now. USASOC units are having a pretty slow OPTEMPO, so the regular Army won’t be doing much better as drawdowns continue.

Not to stray off topic@diomandback but with the whole guard sf thing, somthing interesting I’ve heard is that a big problem they have is that they are still gone WAY MORE than the usual once a month etc. due to their training and only get payed like half of what the active SF make? Causing them a huge financial burden on them and their families. I don’t know if that’s true or not thou.

Not to stray off topic@diomandback but with the whole guard sf thing, somthing interesting I’ve heard is that a big problem they have is that they are still gone WAY MORE than the usual once a month etc. due to their training and only get payed like half of what the active SF make? Causing them a huge financial burden on them and their families. I don’t know if that’s true or not thou.
Bubba I can't answer that question, but I know their funds are deep and they pay the same as all NG soldiers, it's by 4 hour increments and or Mudas as we called them. But their are plenty of NG SF Soldiers on this board to answer your question, I can promise that they don't do it for free...😉

Back