Info on Special Reconnaissance (The artist formerly known as SOWT)

Recon407

Unverified
Hey guys. I'm hoping you can let me pick your brains (I apologize in advance for the long winded post). I'll give you a little background on myself so you understand where my mindset is. I was six years Army National Guard as Infantry; in a specialized platoon of Recon Scouts and Scout Snipers for that entirety and deployed once (2015-2016). I got out to focus on school and I'm graduating this December. I'm still young (under 30) and my wife is younger than me with her Bachelor's already in the bag. Now that I'm finishing up, the boss lady wants to go active. Her mind automatically went to the Army. We talked to them and shes found a good path with them but we're smart enough to consider the jump to Air Force. My questions come because having been prior service, I can only go to a job that is by AF definition "transferable". Since I was infantry that narrows it downs to basically Special Operations and also security forces. On my deployment I worked with Air Force Sp Ops guys everyday and I loved their teams and work ethic so I'm not necessarily opposed to it. Since I was Recon Scout for six years I'm naturally curious and drawn to this brand new SR that SOWT has become. That shit seems right up my ally. But I don't make huge decisions regarding the military without being informed and since it brand fucking new.... There really isn't a lot of information other than the info about the pipeline. "Breaths". So here's my questions.

1. In reality, how different is this new SR vs. the SOWT it was a year ago today. Is the training actually different and more encompassed of multiple military tasks and/or tailored more toward reconnaissance?

2. The training pipeline for SR and CCT looks like a mirror fucking image of each other, with the exception the air traffic control training for CCT. What training is specifically for Special Reconnaissance and where does that happen and what does that entail?

3. Two part-er. I know for SERE its typically mandatory to do your first couple of years after training up in Fairchild. Does SR have a mandatory location to be assigned to after training and what duty stations can I go to as SR? And before I even ask this next question, I understand the reality is probably the standard "needs of the Air Force" answer but, can I have any say in where I get stationed? Specially referencing overseas. My wife and I are young and we want to be overseas and the list of who I would blow to accomplish that, is long and distinguished. I'm just wondering how strict they are about duty stations.

4. Lastly, as I said earlier on my deployment I worked with the Air Force Special Operations guys every day. Mainly, the PJs and CCT guys and the random run-ins with a SOWT, TACP, and SERE guys and I thought they were all fucking awesome, that's what drew me to the AF in the first place. The professionalism and work ethic on all the guys in the AFSOC was leagues above anything I had experienced. But do you have any weigh-ins for any of the other teams vs. SR? Or going SR vs. sticking it out in the Army? Keep in mind both my wife and I would have a whole lot easier time going Officer in the Army, not to mention I wouldn't have the changing job restrictions I that I do with the AF.

Again, sorry for the long winded post but I don't make this level of decision without being informed and SR is too new to have a lot of info. And now that my wife will be joining I'm on a mission to make the best decision for us both. I appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!

Have you looked at TACP?

SR is going to be stationed at any base with a STS.
i.e. Hurlburt, Cannon, Benning, Pope, McChord, Kadena, and Mildenhall. There might be a few more, but those are the biggies.

Have you looked at TACP?

SR is going to be stationed at any base with a STS.
i.e. Hurlburt, Cannon, Benning, Pope, McChord, Kadena, and Mildenhall. There might be a few more, but those are the biggies.

Thanks for the reply. I figured they would be with an STS but I just wanted to be sure. I'm not opposed to TACP, I worked with them a little bit overseas and they impressed the hell out of me with the level SME's that they were. I'm just a little more inclined to SR because its similar to the career I've already done and enjoyed or CCT just based on my experiences working with them so much. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the reply. I figured they would be with an STS but I just wanted to be sure. I'm not opposed to TACP, I worked with them a little bit overseas and they impressed the hell out of me with the level SME's that they were. I'm just a little more inclined to SR because its similar to the career I've already done and enjoyed or CCT just based on my experiences working with them so much. Thanks for the info!
Go check out OnesReady.com and OnesReady on Instagram for the most up to date info.

Back