Inquiry regarding the graded APFT during RASP...

El_Panadero

Unverified
I have a question about the graded APFT that you take during your time in RASP 1 Phase 1/Phase 2. During the push up section of the graded APFT, are you allowed to use any of the authorized resting positions? For instance, say a candidate were perform 55 push ups non stop to the standard of the Ranger Cadre during the graded APFT and decides to use one of the authorized resting positions. After said candidates rest, he continues to perform the push up to that quality held by the Ranger Cadre, would the Cadre continue counting the candidates repetitions of the push up or would he repeat the number of repetitions the candidate performed before he had rested?

Mod Edit

@BellRinger5984 -

The OP's question should only be answered by Vetted Rangers.

To add...when it comes to stuff like the OP's question there is a fine line between helpful and G2ing a course. Let the Rangers make the call.

Ooh Rah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about the graded APFT that you take during your time in RASP 1 Phase 1/Phase 2. During the push up section of the graded APFT, are you allowed to use any of the authorized resting positions? For instance, say a candidate were perform 55 push ups non stop to the standard of the Ranger Cadre during the graded APFT and decides to use one of the authorized resting positions. After said candidates rest, he continues to perform the push up to that quality held by the Ranger Cadre, would the Cadre continue counting the candidates repetitions of the push up or would he repeat the number of repetitions the candidate performed before he had rested?
Everything in Regiment is based off precision. Precision, per AR 7-22, is strict adherence to standards. The standard for the RFT (there is no APFT) is that there are two allowed resting positions for pushups. Do a lot of pushups, with good form (ass poked up, abs clenched, diaphragm touching ground, elbows locking out) every day and you will be fine.

Pro tip- better to do 65 great, perfect form PUs consistently with any grader than 75-85 on a good day, with a good grader, with shit form.

PT Tests are done to standard. If you rest, you must return to the starting position before actually executing a repetition for it to be counted. Long story short, do the repetitions more than right and you'll remove any doubt as to if that was a valid rep.
Everything in Regiment is based off precision. Precision, per AR 7-22, is strict adherence to standards. The standard for the RFT (there is no APFT) is that there are two allowed resting positions for pushups. Do a lot of pushups, with good form (ass poked up, abs clenched, diaphragm touching ground, elbows locking out) every day and you will be fine.

Pro tip- better to do 65 great, perfect form PUs consistently with any grader than 75-85 on a good day, with a good grader, with shit form.
Thank you @Ranger Psych and @DasBoot for taking time to read through and answer my post, I appreciate your response and advice!

Back