Intro: A New Beginning...Joining The Military

That_Good_Life

Unverified
I'd like to begin by thanking all prior and active service members along with all of the admins who helped build this site. Hopefully one day I can meet some of you guys and gals, you are all my heroes and always have been a major influence on my life.
___
I'm a 19-year-old male who's attending college. I'm changing my major from Business Admin to something in security like Cyber Security Engineering. (Read below to understand why).

Over the past year, I've dropped 40 lbs of fat and am now training for an IronMan 70.3 and the Northface marathon. All my life I've always wanted to be an independent entrepreneur and run several small businesses, (I currently operate a social media marketing businesses). However, it was not until recently that I realized how self-absorbed I was to think that becoming this "entrepreneur" would benefit the lives of others, or even leave a dent. Throughout my teenage years, I became so blinded by my fear of money that I lost touch of who I am and what I've always wanted to do...which is to help people.

As a kid, I remember helping a couple of women who fell off their skis on the edge of a black diamond slope. There was a 20ft drop from the edge of the slopes cliff, with frozen rocks and stones at the bottom. All I remember was skiing down, getting them clipped into their skis and pushing them away from the edge, which resulted in me crashing down this cliff and tearing up my body. I distinctly remember the feeling of satisfaction that I was the one who went down and not those two strangers. I've never felt happier in my entire life.

My family hates me for this, (but screw them), I'm joining the military and my goal is to work in one of the elite jobs under SOCOM. My family doesn't have much, if any military history, so I WILL become one of the first ones in my family to make this move.
I first looked at AF Pararescue and USMC Recon, then I realized that I sink like a rock, can't swim more than a couple laps, and am probably negative buoyant. So that's not a good choice for me.

Army Special Forces and/or Army Rangers is what I'm currently working towards. Next year I'll have my associates degree and if I have the patience, a B.S. degree two years after that. Then I'll begin hunting for an 18x or option 40 contract with an MOS of 35N or 35F. Or I'll just commission as an officer and just hope I get a job in Intel, then later try out for SOF.
After about 10 years in the military, I'll apply to become a special agent in the FBI and hopefully get a shot at trying out for the legendary Hostage-Rescue-Team or SWAT.

:zzz: Sorry for the long introduction. I thought It would be helpful if I gave some background of who I am and what I strive to be.

PS- For those interested, my current workout regimen is 2 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Which includes strength training and cardio every day. I'll make a post about it later.

PSS- Want to know what got me interested in security, Jiu Jitsu, working out, float tanks, shooting guns, eating steaks, serving this great country, and all around good times. Go listen to podcasts from Jocko Willink, Joe Rogan, and Tim Ferriss featuring guys like Tim Kennedy and David Goggins. Trust me when I say, that they will change the way you think.

Back