Intro

kazshar

Air Force
Verified Military
Hey everyone, been lurking for a while and am going to have a lot of questions over the coming months, so I figured I'd make an account and introduce myself.

I'm a 25 year old (middle of nowhere) Alabama native and joined the USAF right after high school. I went to BMT with an "open electronics" slot, wound up getting my first choice as F-16 Avionics, and did my 10 months of tech school. My first assignment was with the 555th "Triple Nickel" out of Aviano AB, Italy. Over the 4 years I was there I was fortunate enough to travel to almost 30 countries, one of which being Afghanistan in 2011 for OEF. I was there and supported some major events in that AOR for over 8 months and would go back tomorrow if I could. There's nothing like launching an F-16 fully loaded with GBUs, rockets, and 20mm rounds only for it to come back a half hour later completely empty! Right after that deployment, my application was accepted for the USAFADS "Thunderbirds" at Nellis AFB, NV, and I've been assigned to them since early 2012. I love my current assignment because it's a unique opportunity that is most definitely once in a lifetime, and I'm not afraid to say that I "bleed blue" so the public interaction part of the job is a lot of fun for me. I'm actually typing this from my hotel room outside of Detroit, Michigan. We have a two day airshow in a nearby town this weekend and the weather is amazing, definitely not the 104 degrees that it was today back home in Vegas.

Long story slightly shorter, I got lucky and got a job that more or less challenges me every day, but now I've hit what I see as my F-16 Avionics high point and am looking for my "bigger and better", so I've found myself here.

It's hard to explain why I decided that I wanted to cross train into Pararescue. I expect that's not too uncommon. It's very personal. What it basically boils down to is that I'm an adrenaline junkie that wants to help people in a very real and life altering way. Pararescue fits that bill, and I'm stubborn and determined enough to make it.

Anyways, I'm tired of lurking on this site and wanted to introduce myself. I'm here to be a sponge for knowledge and advice while I plan out my path for cross training with the career advisor at Nellis, finish up my assignment with the Thunderbirds, and work my ass off to improve my swimming.

Also, my avatar is a picture I took of one of the jets that got the bastards that shot down Extortion 17 while I was in BAF. Picture was taken shortly after that night. I personally pulled the arming pins off of that jet to be sent to the units of the guys on that bird. Thought someone around here would appreciate that.

1) Hella-intro!
2) Nice story about your avatar, really nice!
3) Welcome!

Greetings! Sounds like you've had a good run so far in your military career. Here's to an equally successful second half. :D

Back