Introduction

Festivus4

Unverified
Greetings ShadowSpear,

I am a 17 year old male, and currently a junior in High School. I intend on enlisting in the US Army, hopefully securing an 11X Option 40 Contract (Airborne and RASP). Though I've read through various forums on this site, I have only recently created an account to hopefully reap some of the benefits from the knowledge and experience many members have to offer. I don't mean to sound entitled, but those are my intentions.

I am a decent student (3.5 Cumultive GPA, involved and completed a handful of AP courses), but honestly could do better. I have also been involved in my local Army JROTC Program for over 2 years, and am working on the third. Hopefully I'll finish my Fourth next year having taken JROTC my entire High School Career. I've also taken the ASVAB and scored a 92 AFQT.

Physically I'm decent as well, and just as I am academically, I could be better. Though I have been involved in my JROTC Program's Raider team (athletics side of the program), I hadn't made any significant progress physically until recently. Currently My APFT, while not terrible, or even bad, are certainly not SOF or Ranger material. They are:
PUSH-UPS: 80
SIT-UPS: 83
2 Mile Run: 16:45
Score: 248/300
PULL-UPS: 13 (Not included in APFT, but still relevant)
My height and weight dimensions are:
6'2/ 205lbs
Also I am aware of the possibility that these scores will no doubt be lower once tested in the military due to more stringent grading standards (particularly in the push-ups, and If we run on a hill or do sit-ups on a decline, in sure they will be lower/slower as well).

As mentioned above, I intend on enlisting right out of high school through an 11X Option 40 Contract and attending college at a later date, and earning a commission as an army officer (I realize this is all subject to change, and that I may be inaccurate on how this all happens, since I am both young and haven't visited a recruiter). I Just want to respond to any questions such as "why enlist if your end goal is to be an officer?". Well I feel to be a good leader I must learn to follow first, I think it'd be valuable to be able to emphasize with those under my command, it allows me time to "grow up" and mature, allows me the funds to actually go to college, and as mentioned before, I suffer academically largely due to poor time management, lack of determination, and just laziness. While I am trying to improve all these things, and have (through the course of High School I've improved my GPA from a 2.9 to a 3.5), I think military service would clear up any issues I have.

Well, that is the end of my very long-winded introduction. I have taken a look at the other introductions and I know mine is significantly longer than most, but I figured better too long than too short.

Thank you for Reading.

Welcome aboard and the best of fortune to you with your endeavors.

Back