Introduction

fightforit

Unverified
Hello Everyone,

I am a college student studying criminal justice and will be graduating with a Bachelor's within the next year. I competed as a division 1 athlete for a short period before foregoing the remainder of my NCAA eligibility to focus on school work. I have been reading the forums here on a fairly regular basis for about the last year now and decided I should make an account.

My goal within law enforcement is to work for a mid-higher population urban area on a gang unit after my time working patrol. My passion is for gang operations and the influence of narcotics in these higher crime urban areas. At some point down the road I think it would be very beneficial to apply for a position on a SWAT team as well. I have had a steady interest in the military as well for about the last year. I have done research on my own prior to speaking with a recruiter so I could ask intelligent questions about various MOS's. I spoke with an Army recruiter about a month ago and had discussed primarily an 11x Option 40 contract. After one session with my recruiter I felt slightly more confident but at the same time a little uneasy because I read the opposite of what he had told me on a few different occasions on these forums. My problem is I have a slight red/green color deficiency and also had an operation on my wrist in the last year to have a plate and 6 screws drilled into my radius. The color vision is not the problem as I am capable of distinguishing red/green but the fact that I would not be able to receive an Airborne contract due to my surgery and need for a medical waiver. So that is a bit disheartening. Looking at a possibility in the Army I would be aiming for an 11x or 68w contract. I do not see myself as a career member of the military, however I have an irrepressible desire to help people and have the utmost respect for the brave men and women in our armed forces. I have a fierce desire to push myself to be among the best at everything I do, and that is how I envision the members of our military.

One of the biggest benefits I see to these forums over all others I have come across is the ability to see who is verified military, SOF, SWAT, etc. That is very valuable for someone like me that is exploring options and looking for reliable advice so I thank all of you in advance. I would like to be able to talk with a current SWAT operator about military experience, and if they deem it to be a very important factor during the SWAT recruitment process. Also whether or not they see fellow SWAT operators with no prior military experience to be less desirable than veterans during the recruitment process.

Lastly I would just like to say thanks for taking the time to read this little blurb and thank you all for your service to our country and any future help you may provide me.

Back