Introduction

Howradnicole

Unverified
Hello, here is a brief introduction to my military and civilian background:

Got my BSN in 2009, started working as an ICU RN in 2010, started my dual-career life when I commissioned with my USAFR unit, the 446 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron at JBLM. Far from a “weekend warrior” or monthly obligation, it was almost a full time job. Once ground and flight qualified, I volunteered as often as I could open for any short-notice or deployment (our cycle was every 18months but my line was cut before I went out for a first deployment). Motivated, I became a Flight Instructor, taught new flyers at the FTU and my unit, led the Patient Safety program, again at my home unit and while deployed in 2015-2016 on a 7 person AE crew, augmenting with CCATT as needed.
Updated my secondary AFSC to 46N3E with my civilian CCRN. While I was serving as an Air Force Officer, I attended SOS in residence and my motivation is the same in uniform or in scrubs: work as hard as I can to make it better for the person beside me or following me.
After 2016, I felt torn because I love the AE mission and friends I have made and my desire to serve service members especially never faded, but I lost the battle with my frustrations at lot of first hand waste, peers not fought for leaving, and self-centered team members. My AE experiences, while being a crew, didn’t feel like a team, whether at home or mixed in crews with AD, Guard and Reserve while deployed, I think because they lacked accountability, therefore trust and integrity.
It felt like I was never using my Critical care skills during the AE mission, aside from training missions teaching the crews. I went IRR to sort out what I wanted to continue doing. While starting in an new hospital in 2016, I joined a Cardiac Surgical ICU for 4 months, until was asked by their managers and peers to apply for one of their educator positions and have been doing that for over 1.5years.
I onboard, train, equip, support and advocate for about 300 staff including 5 ICUs and 4 step down Units. I represent Critical Care in hospital committees, and get assigned any additional duties the director or CNO see fit. While I love serving my staff and helping them develop, nothing is as satisfying as when I can jump in and help by taking or supporting a nurse managing our most critical patients... recently our cardiogenic shock pts needing MCS by Impella; OB bleeds and complications; Trauma/ARDS needing proning then coordinating and cannulating ECMO at the bed...
My level of nursing and communication skills, experience and ability to anticipate my peer and patient needs during high stress events (codes; 1:1) and adaptaptability need a new home. I demand the highest level of care from myself and team for (all) patients, and that passions makes me search for continued growth and challenges. While seeking an appropriate opportunity to return to service, albeit IMA, the mission and devotion of the SOST humbled me.

I hope to learn a little more and consider if applying in to SOST in the Fall would be possible and practical.

Brief... Maybe not.

Back