Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayMan

Unverified
Hello everyone,

I'm a recent college grad and I am about to turn 23 years old. I don't think college was worth the amount of debt I am in and the amount of time I wasted. In many ways I feel like it wasn't worth it and that I wasted 4 years of my life. I have always wanted to join the military, my father and grandfather both served in the Army. I've always wanted to be a warrior. Serving is the only thing I've ever been sure of ever since I was little. Since graduating I have a decent job at a growing bank. It has only been a few months and I have realized that this desk life 9-5 bullshit is so monotonous and draining. I don't fit the whole banker dude personality. 90% of the people I met at college and now at the bank are lazy, make excuses, self centered, and don't care about much. I don't fit the sit at a desk all day for the rest of your life, I've always wanted to be a badass, a warrior, someone with a purpose, somebody who did something with their life. I believe the Marine Corps can give me all what I am seeking and then some more. So, I've been working with an OSO for a few months because that's what you do when you have a degree, you go the officer route, okay makes sense. However, my heart wants to enlist into the infantry and potentially with a recon contract. Something about being in the suck, at the bottom with my brothers just attracts me, I'd rather execute a mission than plan it behind a desk. I'm at about a 240 PFT, and yes for Recon I know what shape I need to be in: at a minimum, the best shape of my life. I've always had the never say die attitude and although I do admittedly care about what others say sometimes, I've also always had self belief, and when I think about taking the risks of a Recon contract, I believe I can do it. I'm 6"2 and about 165, not a huge guy, but I'm fast. I've dwindled soo much with decisions in my life and now that I'm in a position where I'm on my own, I've realized I have to do what I want to do, so I believe joining you guys here is a good and small step in the right direction. I plan on getting into 280+ PFT range and then get into the rucking and swimming. I definitely do my own research so I will try to be as intelligent when I post here as I possibly can as a civilian. Bring on the hate.

I don’t know if your name has another meaning, but my advice is: don’t be a gray man.

Being a gray man is bullshit and may even get you dropped. If something happens like an injury or you get in trouble, and you haven’t proved yourself as something special, your ass may get dropped.
If they are choosing who they will select, they sure as hell won’t care about someone who was so average that they didn’t even know he was there.
Selection is a job interview. Be the best candidate for the job.
No one is the best at everything, but excel where you can, and stand out as a leader.
If it’s a team evolution, put out as hard as you can for your classmates next to you, and I promise they will notice and help you too.

Bring on the hate.
You will get no hate in this thread, we keep these intro threads pretty sanitary. Intros and welcomes only.

If you want comments on any of the above, you should start a new thread in one of the appropriate areas.

Welcome and best of success to you!

I don’t know if your name has another meaning, but my advice is: don’t be a gray man.

Being a gray man is bullshit and may even get you dropped. If something happens like an injury or you get in trouble, and you haven’t proved yourself as something special, your ass may get dropped.
If they are choosing who they will select, they sure as hell won’t care about someone who was so average that they didn’t even know he was there.
Selection is a job interview. Be the best candidate for the job.
No one is the best at everything, but excel where you can, and stand out as a leader.
If it’s a team evolution, put out as hard as you can for your classmates next to you, and I promise they will notice and help you too.

I can assure this is just my username for the site. I appreciate the insight. I realize it's going to take everything I have to go down this path.

You will get no hate in this thread, we keep these intro threads pretty sanitary. Intros and welcomes only.

If you want comments on any of the above, you should start a new thread in one of the appropriate areas.

Welcome and best of success to you!

Hey thank you for the reply. I have had no problem finding threads on the Recon pipeline however I am having trouble finding posts about college graduated enlisting instead of commissioning in the Marine Corps, what would you recommend I do?

There is a small chance that it’s different for marines but not likely. Most of the SEAL and SWCC candidates had their college degree and enlisted for one reason or another. You just go to a normal recruiter and show them your degree and you will be E-2 when you graduate boot camp instead of E-1.

Navy let college graduates graduate with E-3, and I heard a rumor that Army let you graduate with E-4.
Marines get the shit end of the stick when it comes to that (and a lot of other things.) When I have asked my Marine friends why they think this is the case, they tell me that it’s because Marines pride themselves on doing more with less. Also, from what I understand it seems that an E-3 has more responsibility in the Corps than in other branches, and they don’t want to give that out straight out of boot.

College degree or not, the only way you make E2 out of boot camp in the Corps is if you qualify Expert on the range and are the most squared-away recruit in the platoon up and down the spectrum. Then you also get a complimentary set of dress blues.

E3s in Marine infantry are often fire team leaders and have considerable responsibility for such young dudes...even if they are lance criminals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back