Introductions

kemerick1225

Unverified
Hey all, I'm an 18-y-o student about to enter my first semester of clinicals for my Associate's Degree in Nursing and am very interested in investigating Special Operations, specifically working on the enlisted side rather than as a nurse (much to the chagrin of my family). Part of me wants to see the cutting edge of forward trauma medicine, part of me still has spite that I'm not in EMT-B school instead, and the young-and-dumb part of me wants to be knee-deep in the shit while I'm still fairly young. I'm a very hands-on, fast-paced guy and I'm frankly scared that I'll get bored working in a hospital/ER forever. So, I'm looking into more medically-minded SOF roles, whether that's SF Medical Sergeant, SARC, PJ, etc.

I've also had to do some things in my life in order to get to a point where I'd feel grounded enough in reality to even consider investigating Spec Ops in any capacity. I chose to admit myself into inpatient psychiatric care when I was 16 over Christmas break because I was dealing with a lot of unresolved events/trauma from my childhood that had compounded over the course of a decade. I made that choice, I got on meds so I could still go to school and function day to day, and began to work in outpatient therapy to resolve my mental hang-ups. Weight and general health had also been contributing factors, and by going on antidepressants I went from just overweight to obese (205 lbs at 5'8"). Fast forward to now, I'm almost completely off of meds, down 40 lbs, going into healthcare, and have never felt better or more rock-solid in my entire life. So, why am I even bringing up potentially disqualifying medical information in a forum about, of all things, Special Operations? I honestly want to see if it'd be doable to waiver past antidepressants after being off of them for a couple of years, provided I work my ass off to pair that with a killer ASVAB/PFT score and some civilian medical experience. I want to know from guys who have served and/or know the process if they think I'm crazy or have delusions of grandeur and should just "let this dream die" before I get too attached to it.

If you got this far, congrats, you've finished my introduction! Thanks for reading.

Back