Is it possible for me to join the Air Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolloofwhatever

Unverified
I'm 22 years old and recently graduated from college with degrees in both computer science and statistics. I've been thinking about joining the Air Force, but the issue is that a couple of years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor. Long story short I didn't get convicted and my arrest record got expunged. Is there a possibility I can still join the Air Force?

...sigh...

I (we) seem to always ask the same questions in this scenario.

Have you spoken with a recruiter yet and what did they say?

What were you arrested for?

What job in the Air Force are you hoping to do?

Have you spoken with a recruiter yet?

...sigh...

Well I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet and the charge I got arrested for was not drug related and more of a verbal abuse charge. As far as what I want to in the air force I want to become a physicist or do something IT related.

Well I haven't spoken to a recruiter yet and the charge I got arrested for was not drug related and more of a verbal abuse charge. As far as what I want to in the air force I want to become a physicist or do something IT related.

Speak with a recruiter. The recruiting standards change based on the needs of military at the time. Misdemeanors do not automatically disqualify you.

Speak with a recruiter. The recruiting standards change based on the needs of military at the time. Misdemeanors do not automatically disqualify you.
So I can possibly still become an officer even though I have an expunged misdemeanor?

So I can possibly still become an officer even though I have an expunged misdemeanor?

Dude...you need to "all stop".

Go talk to a recruiter, ask your questions, them come back here and report.

No need to respond, just do it. Looking forward to hearing what your recruiter had to say.

If you wish to commission as an officer, call your local university ROTC department and speak with the admissions officer. Again, it changes with the needs of the military so I can't answer your question. But, it doesn't automatically disqualify you from ROTC either.

OTS slots are highly competitive, so there's one major hurdle to clear. Even enlisted airmen trying for OTS is highly competitive, so unless you can somehow participate in ROTC, that's a long row to hoe.

If you have a computer science degree and think you'll do tech stuff as an AF Comm officer, you are horribly mistaken. I've worked with dozens of AF Comm officers over the years and they range from studs to not even knowing what an OU is in Windows. The majority are in the middle or towards the "what's an OU" side of the argument. They are mainly project managers unless you can get an engineering or cyber-related slot....however that works in their world. I'm oblivious to the AF's personnel management.

The AF has centralized much of its hard core IT functions in regional NOSCs, so base comm IT guys and gals are more "care and feeding" than heavy lifting from an IT sense. Anyone going AF Comm has to accept that they may not be as geek as they want to be. Temper your expectations. The majority of the jobs are rather boring so pay your dues and hope for the best; "pays your money and takes your chances."

Good luck.

- Amoral War Profiteer/ AF contractor, BS in Comp. Sci.

...sigh...

I’m starting to understand the admin’s frustration with these.

Well first of all I just asked a simple question.

Fine. In that spirit, what state did you get arrested in and what were you charged with specifically? Don’t answer me vaguely or generally; tell me what the actual charges were.

Why was the case dismissed? The specific reason may affect your ability to get a clearance.

Have you contacted a recruiter yet?

Simple questions.

Well first of all I just asked a simple question.

Simple, yes. The issue is that, by omission in your post you did zero research on this topic, expecting us to provide the answers. We see this over and over and over with guys who fail to do even the most basic research but expect us to solve their problems. Before you think we're being dicks, here's some context: we have mentored dozens and dozens of men and women into various pipelines, SOF and conventional. Nearly every one of them was at some point challenged and encouraged to do their own research. Do that, come back with questions because you couldn't find the answers, and we're good to go.

We also see far too many new guys give us half a story and then once they open up we discover their initial post and the actual facts are vastly different. As such we're very skeptical when details are omitted.

You aren't the first or the last in this boat. If you still want to be butt hurt, that's your call.

Fine. In that spirit, what state did you get arrested in and what were you charged with specifically? Don’t answer me vaguely or generally; tell me what the actual charges were.

Why was the case dismissed? The specific reason may affect your ability to get a clearance.

Have you contacted a recruiter yet?

Simple questions.
The arrest happen in South Carolina. I was accused of cussing out someone and "threatening" them over the phone. The reason it got dismissed is because I told the judge what actually happen during the phone call and there was no proof of me threatening anyone. Also the cop that put the warrant out for my arrest fail to show up to court that day. As far as meeting with a recruiter no I haven't done that.

Simple, yes. The issue is that, by omission in your post you did zero research on this topic, expecting us to provide the answers. We see this over and over and over with guys who fail to do even the most basic research but expect us to solve their problems. Before you think we're being dicks, here's some context: we have mentored dozens and dozens of men and women into various pipelines, SOF and conventional. Nearly every one of them was at some point challenged and encouraged to do their own research. Do that, come back with questions because you couldn't find the answers, and we're good to go.

We also see far too many new guys give us half a story and then once they open up we discover their initial post and the actual facts are vastly different. As such we're very skeptical when details are omitted.

You aren't the first or the last in this boat. If you still want to be butt hurt, that's your call.
It's all good to be honest I just came here to ask if I can still join cause it's something I was thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back