It’s a joyous time to practice good OPSEC

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.soc.mil/UNS/Releases/2011/December/111230-04.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, Dec. 13, 2011) – This is the time of year when most people think of giving, but for some it is a time of taking.
Unfortunately crime does not take a holiday; instead it goes on the rise according to a Washington Post story. Home burglaries, home evasions and identity theft increase almost double during the Christmas season.
In the hustle and bustle that comes this time of year it is easy to overlook extra measures that increase personal and home security and provided added protection against home evasions, car thefts, and personal attacks.
hen families travel during the holiday season, these recommended precautions provide that extra protect their homes.
  • Stop newspaper and mail delivery during the time away. Overflowing mailboxes or a pile of newspapers by the door announces that nobody is home.
  • Do not leave any notes on the door for friends or delivery people announcing that you are away. Have a neighbor check the house for deliveries or notes.
  • Have someone come over and turn on/off various lights during the day or have a timer that varies turn-on times to make the house look like someone is at home.
  • Do not post on social media sites about being gone for the holidays. While the message might be for friends, others can access the site or your friends’ sites. Do not post comments or photographs of you or your family's activities while away from home.
  • Do not leave boxes that contain high-end items overnight on the stoop for the trash people to pick up. Computer and television boxes advertises to would-be robbers that there are expensive items inside the home. Put the boxes out the morning of trash pick-up and, if possible, remove the description of the items as well as any personal address labels and packing slips containing personal information.
Crime is not limited to the home. Identity theft and Internet scams are targeting Soldiers, federal employees, and their families, according to the Operations Security Professionals Society.
The old maxim, “if it looks too good to be true it is probably is too good to be true” is perfect when it comes to some of the online sales and deals.
Shop only on known and reputable Internet sites; avoid pop-up ads or quick-links. Make sure the site is secured by VeriSign or other programs.
Secure sites are often identified with a key or lock in the address/URL
All of these tips are ways to help prevent crime and make the criminal look elsewhere. This is the season to practice good security, at home as well as at the office.

Good reminders Ravage :thumbsup: . I have a neighbor stop by to pick up the mail and the daily paper. They go inside and feed the dogs, water the plants, etc. I have been uncomfortable telling the press and the post office we will be gone; I don't know just who sees the notice, or who they tell. We do the same for other neighbors, and have a strong Neighborhood Watch program. I have run the program for 5 years now with no losses among our 50 families. We nailed a suspicious vehicle just yesterday. The program does work if you have the proper support.

RF 1

Here's a good one I got today in the email. It didn't get flagged or anything coming through...Definitely be on the lookout for this!

Dear Email Account User,

Due to network congestion in our email servers as a result of millions of inactive email accounts, there would be deactivation of all unused MSNHotmail email accounts.
We are currently upgrading our databases to serve you better. To ensure this upgrade, you will need to confirm your e-mail is active by filling out your log in information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.

Name:...................

User Name............

Password

Year of Birth .............

Country or T
erritory........

Please ensure every detail requested above is provided correctly upon receipt of this notification to enable the upgrade. Incomplete details and wrong passwords forwarded will result in suspension or closure of your account for security reasons. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Note: YOUR DETAILS WILL NOT BE SHARED.
We will keep making Windows Live! the best email service around.

Sincerely,
Windows Live Team
Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft respects your privacy. Please read our online privacy statement. Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft way, Redmond, WA 98052, USA ©

Back