Jimmy Stewart was a badass.

sigma

Unverified
I was watching "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" the other day, and they had a short bio on James Stewart.

This Guy.
220px-It%27s_A_Wonderful_Life.jpg

I had no idea that he not only served in the Air Force, but actually retired as a Brigadier General. "Before the war [WWII] ended, he was promoted to colonel, one of very few Americans to rise from private to colonel in four years."

List of awards during service:

Distinguished Service Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross (2)
Air Medal (4)
Army Commendation Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Presidential Medal of Freedom
French Croix de Guerre with Palm

And this.
200px-Brig._Gen._James_M._Stewart.jpg

I guess I'm just a youngblood and all but about 3 of you probably already knew this, but I thought it was awesome. :cool:

He shot Liberty Valence! What did you expect?

Well, we all know who really shot LV....

I just watched him in "It's a Wonderful Life" last night.

Yes, he was a stud and a gentleman.

Don't worry Youngblood, you'll learn alot from us older farts around here. :D

I Googled "actors with military service" and the first linky was this:

http://militarysalute.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=stories&action=display&thread=48

Kinda interesting the way Hollyweird has changed. :rolleyes:

LL

Yeah, and I didn't see Martha Raye on that list either.

She served for 50 years.

Martha Raye, born Margaret Teresa Yvonne Reed in Butte Montana Aug. 27, 1916; During WWII, Raye and her pals Carole Landis, Al Jolson, Kay Francis and Mitzi Mayfair formed a U.S.O. Troupe, performing tirelessly under incredibly difficult and dangerous conditions before thousands of enthusiastic G.I.s. Not satisfied with supporting the troops during WW2, she continued on in Korea, and for nine years she went to Viet Nam, sometimes staying as long as six months. Not only did she perform on stage but when things got rough she filled in as a nurse, often going hours without a break. In 1993 Martha Raye was awarded the Medal of Freedom for her lifetime service to America. When she died a special exception to policy was made so that she could be buried in the military cemetery at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. For fifty years Colonel Maggie served the military she loved. (1916-1994)

Figured the list wasn't completely accurate, but just wanted to point out the Hollyweird sensibilities.

LL

I Googled "actors with military service" and the first linky was this:

http://militarysalute.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=stories&action=display&thread=48

Kinda interesting the way Hollyweird has changed. :rolleyes:

LL

Thanks for posting that, I thought the very bottom of that post was an eerie reflection of today's Hollywood.... And more broadly, the difference between the WW2 Generation and my own. It's sad.

This is a complete list of actors who suspended their careers to enlist in the United States Armed Forces after America was attacked on September 11, 2001 …

None.

I couldn’t find any.

Not one.

Nada.

Zilch.

Zero.

Nobody.

The Bill of Rights is a wonderful thing, especially if someone else is responsible for defending it.

There are a couple of books about Jimmy Stewart's WWII Air Corps service, the best one IMO is Jimmy Stewart, Bomber Pilot. It gave a pretty good account of the missions he flew, and also talks about his role after the war in the AF Reserve.

We are watching "The rear window" as I type this. They dont make em like that anymore, espcially Grace Kelly.

We are watching "The rear window" as I type this. They dont make em like that anymore, espcially Grace Kelly.

Great movie! And I'd prolly leave whatshername for Grace Kelly *running away as fast as I can*

Hi-jack over......

We are watching "The rear window" as I type this. They dont make em like that anymore, espcially Grace Kelly

The girl he keeps watching (newly wed) was my aunt Havis Davenport. Father's sister.

5519.jpg

Martha Raye - aka "COL Maggie" was an Honorary Colonel of the Regiment... Yes, the 1st Special Forces Regiment, she was given an Honorary Green Beret - but any SF Soldier that ever met her knew, she was an SF Soldier. Her home in CA was open to any SF Soldier.

There are too many stories about her exploits and service to SF to go into here, but more than a few SF men owe their lives to her.

She is a Legend in SF, sleep well Colonel, we have the perimeter secured for you.

The girl he keeps watching (newly wed) was my aunt Havis Davenport. Father's sister.

http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/gallery/50MG][/QUOTE]

No shit ???........................She was as hot as Grace Kelly. Damn, nice little nugget to throw out there SGM.

You'll always owe me a beer....:)

Here's a scan of a publicity photo of her I have hanging in my hallway...

4188487971_26b613cc92_b.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I thought the very bottom of that post was an eerie reflection of today's Hollywood.... And more broadly, the difference between the WW2 Generation and my own. It's sad.

Yeah the younger generation sucks, especially mine. The reason previous generations were better is because men back then where... well men, with real values. Now a days we have a bunch of pussies everywhere, I mean look at the new role models younger kids have now. Men like Al Gore and that damn commie Sean Penn. The younger generation lacks the heroes of the past, there is no more Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne. They've been replaced by a bunch of metro sexual pussies.

Martha Raye - aka "COL Maggie" was an Honorary Colonel of the Regiment... Yes, the 1st Special Forces Regiment, she was given an Honorary Green Beret - but any SF Soldier that ever met her knew, she was an SF Soldier. Her home in CA was open to any SF Soldier.

There are too many stories about her exploits and service to SF to go into here, but more than a few SF men owe their lives to her.

She is a Legend in SF, sleep well Colonel, we have the perimeter secured for you.

I posted here once before, that at the 82nd Association Chapter in Monetery, we had a Maggie's Drop-In celebration every year. The old guys told me that, before she died, she showed up everv year.

A great supporter of us.....

Reminds me of Nancy Wake, The White Mouse, over here.( But I'll start another thread).

Back