Joint SOF/FBI training raid hits... wrong room

I have a friend/former coworker who is retired FBI. I reached out with a "WTH?" since that circle is pretty small and RUMINT runs rampant, and this is what he said:

Per text: "They knew the guy wasn't their guy in about 3 minutes, and knew there was a problem. Had local EMS check him out after tacmed checked him out, he reportedly declined assessment/transport. Also, planning folks transposed room numbers, they were supposed to hit a room like 1550 and instead hit 1505 or something like that. Anyway, this is what I was told, two degrees of separation because the guy who told me knows ASAC in Boston."

I have a friend/former coworker who is retired FBI. I reached out with a "WTH?" since that circle is pretty small and RUMINT runs rampant, and this is what he said:

Per text: "They knew the guy wasn't their guy in about 3 minutes, and knew there was a problem. Had local EMS check him out after tacmed checked him out, he reportedly declined assessment/transport. Also, planning folks transposed room numbers, they were supposed to hit a room like 1550 and instead hit 1505 or something like that. Anyway, this is what I was told, two degrees of separation because the guy who told me knows ASAC in Boston."
They'll still blame it on the intel guy.

I was going to say...in the 45 min they were working this dude, no one said, "hey, this doesn't look like the dude we briefed?"...can someone pull back up the pic?

Now the 3 min timeline sounds better in terms of when they recognized the error, but doesn't align with the other reports. Then again, I've also had enough direct media experience to understand many details we read about in stories are incorrect; news stories are probably better described as just being "directionally correct".

Last edited:

Doubtful it was the planning folks at fault by transposing bad info. That may end up being what’s in the final report but I’m not buying it. When the planners are involved, they’ll block off floors, corridors, etc. when they move to final exercise it’s a much different training environment.

Doubtful it was the planning folks at fault by transposing bad info. That may end up being what’s in the final report but I’m not buying it. When the planners are involved, they’ll block off floors, corridors, etc. when they move to final exercise it’s a much different training environment.

I don't make the news, I just report it.

So, there's something calling DRT. Complex Software Defined Radio (SDR) systems for gathering, analyzing and sharing signals intelligence. It's not 1997. Whomever told you "the planners" "transposed a number" is full of shit.

There's plenty of people who are happy to discuss on the phone with whomever, tactical "make war easier."

Hard to really recon a hotel room. It’s hard to follow someone to their room.
Hard to really recon a hotel room. It’s hard to follow someone to their room.

You just pull whomever your target is (electronically) and you're off to the races.

There's no reason to pull people who aren't involved: that's amateur hour, it's illegal, and anyone who does that should be in prison, minimum 5 years. Collect on innocent people intentionally, 5 years and no money. (There's laws, that's what Lawyers do, they handle that)

You're not going to know what the setup of the inside of the hotel room is, you're going to know exactly where the person you're scooping up is.

This is very long, just scroll on by if you aren't interested, it's always using speech to text, so hopefully I got that right.

Here's some background on Urban Exercises for SI that people typically don't appreciate so normally we don't bother/ (I'm a glutton for punishment)

1) With 1% of 1% National Agency there's more than one DIGITAL SIGINT EW Operator on their team. TBH, it's as many as they can get (which isn't a lot, because Weapons and Nerds are in short supply) nor is it a secret.

2) We don't "follow" anyone physically, ever. If you can see us, it's not National (to include Uniformed Services), call the police.

3) It's always wrong floor. How? Defective equipment or operator error. That's it. Not an excuse. Literally. DE or OE. DE or OE. DE or OE. DE comes from Contracts not getting fielded at Operational Speed because some shithead "doesn't want to break anything," and then you drop it once, and it starts being unreliable.

4) Event was expensive. If it's OE more shit is fucked up. Delta pilots don't sleep on swill pillows and FUSION likes places live Motel 6 to work (not sleep).

5) Operator Error raises the question: Has *everyone* has quit.

6-a) If ppl are doing "double duty" because of SIGINT for all, that's stupid and you get what you get. Saw this beginning in 2014 when JSOC HUMINT was Diy-ing SIGINT, authorized. It was long, slow, and expensive. An example is, a whole team holed up in a house for 72 hours from OpFor, because they didn't want to get arrested by the Local LEA (which happened on night 2 of the exercise).

NA doesn't have turf wars. NA wants everyone to win. NA is super nice and loves our customers. If you aren't one, that just means you aren't one, yet.

7) Any team worth their salt would walk on "the planners" pushing bad plans before seeing said plans to fruition. Ppl don't want to die.

7-a) Thank God it was a commercial pilot and not an off-duty SWAT. That would have been horrific.

8) We like to empower people adjacent to the rear, God knows why.

9) There are outlier possibilities expounding on OE and DE but none of them make it look good for the home team, so I don't see a reason to unpack them.

10) IC participation segment is low on the web for a reason. It's not OpSec, all of this is old news. It's because we are cranky bastards. That's just the way it is.

location. Team. Team go to location. Where we go? You ask your S operator.

If this highly funded event was relying on Geospatial/IMINT, or HUMINT versus the actual people who only do this, that's a problem. This is what happens as a result.

*Also (I super doubt I'll get any takers) but anyone remember when that fusion exercise left the unexploded ordinances in that school bus in Maryland? That was hilarious. They found it....when transportation called 911 from the bus yard. That was so funny. It's relevant because that's not SI EW.

*Edited for not speech to text.
**Now I'll stop nerding up this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
You just pull whomever your target is (electronically) and you're off to the races.

There's no reason to pull people who aren't involved: that's amateur hour, it's illegal, and anyone who does that should be in prison, minimum 5 years. Collect on innocent people intentionally, 5 years and no money. (There's laws, that's what Lawyers do, they handle that)

You're not going to know what the setup of the inside of the hotel room is, you're going to know exactly where the person you're scooping up is.

This is very long, just scroll on by if you aren't interested, it's always using speech to text, so hopefully I got that right.

Here's some background on Urban Exercises for SI that people typically don't appreciate so normally we don't bother/ (I'm a glutton for punishment)

1) With FATF/ HRT/ FUSION etc, there's more than one DIGITAL SIGINT EW Operator on their team. TBH, it's as many as they can get (which isn't a lot, nor is it a secret)

2) We don't "follow" anyone physically, ever. If you can see us, it's not National (to include Uniformed Services), call the police.

3) It's always wrong floor. How? Defective equipment or operator error. That's it. Not an excuse. Literally. DE or OE.

4) Event was expensive. If it's OE more shit is fucked up.

5) What analysis says this event expensive? Delta pilots don't sleep on swill pillows and FUSION likes Motel 6 to work, not sleep.

6) OE raises the question: Has *everyone* has quit.

6-a) If ppl are doing "double duty" because of SIGINT for all, that's fucking stupid and you get what you get. It's like a surgeon also being all the other things in the operating room. Just because ppl are creaming their panties about foundation of SIGINT from '03 doesn't mean that we're not 30 years ahead and if you or your agency is using 30 years behind instead of doing the paperwork or making the effort to network to get to other training, "what the actual heck!" NA doesn't have turf wars. We want everyone to win.

7) Any team worth their salt would walk on "the planners" pushing bad plans before seeing them to fruition. Ppl don't want to die.

7-a) Thank God it was a commercial pilot and not an off-duty SWAT. That would have been horrific.

8) We like to empower people adjacent to the rear, God knows why

9) There are outlier possibilities but none of them make it look good for the home team, so I don't see a reason to unpack them.

10) IC participation segment is low on the webz for a reason.

Separately, the flood of SIGINT for all is such a disservice to actual SO.

As a result of SIGINT For All:

We've now got two types of ppl: Ppl who like to "flaunt" what they've "learned," and ppl who say, "I took a foundational SIGINT class and it felt like my brain was melting out of my ears and when I said to the instructor I don't understand anything that's going on, he said ask a lot of questions and you'll understand when you see it"

It's a microcosm and it's not.

Complaining about SI for All relates because this error was the result of an SI EW failure, and if this highly funded event was relying on Geospatial/IMINT, or HUMINT versus the actual people who only do this, that's a real problem, and this is what happens as a result.

SI for All emboldens people and it's not helpful. Why are non-SI even professionally chiming in?

Pickings are slim for SI and Weapons Expertise.

*Also (I super doubt I'll get any takers) but anyone remember when that fusion exercise left the unexploded ordinances in that school bus in Maryland? That was hilarious. They found it....when transportation called 911 from the bus yard. That was so funny. That was not SI EW.

That is a long post. I guess all that time I spent getting followed and not taking a cell phone anywhere was all fake. My experience is all over a decade old, so probably a century in tech days. Nowadays I’m sure it doesn’t even matter if I have a cell phone on me with the microchips in my wallet.

When I was doing stuff like these guys may have been doing, or at least in a similar vein, I didn’t look at a cell phone for the duration. Who knows though.

Back